Appointments Committee of the Cabinet
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) decides appointments to several top posts under the Government of India. The committee is composed of the Prime Minister of India (who is the Chairman), the Minister of Home Affairs. Originally the Minister in-charge of the concerned Ministry was also the part of the committee but as per the new notification (as on 14 July 2016) the minister of concerned ministry has been excluded from the committee.
The Establishment Officer’s Division (EO Division) processes all proposals for senior appointments in the Government of India that require approval of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet under the Government of India Transactions of Business Rules, 1961. The committee makes appointments to posts of:
- three service chiefs
- Director General of Military Operations
- chiefs of all Air and Army Commands
- Director General of Defence Intelligence Agency
- Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister
- Director General of Armed Forces Medical Services
- Director General of Ordnance Factories (DGOF) & Chairman OFB
- Director General of Defence Estates
- Controller General of Defence Accounts
- Director of Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses
- Solicitor-General of India
- Governor of the Reserve Bank of India
- Chairman and Members of the Railway Board
- Chief Vigilance Officers and directors of the board in Public Sector Undertakings.
- Secretariat posts of and above the rank of Joint Secretary in the Central Government.
This Committee decides on all important empanelments and shift of officers serving on Central deputation. In addition, all appointments by promotion that require ACC approval are processed through the E.O. Division. For this purpose, the Establishment Officer functions as the Secretary to the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
The Additional Secretary and Establishment Officer in the Department of Personnel and Tr is the ex-officio Member Secretary of the Civil Services Board that is chaired by the Cabinet Secretary. This Board makes recommendations for appointments in respect of the posts of Deputy Secretary, Director and Joint Secretary under the Central Staffing Scheme. In addition, the Board makes recommendations to the ACC for inclusion of officers in the Joint Secretaries suitability list.
Furthermore, the Establishment Officer is Member Secretary of the Screening Committee chaired by the Cabinet Secretary and comprising Secretary (P) and Finance Secretary that has been constituted for screening of cases of assignments under Rule 6(2)(ii) of the AIS (Cadre) Rules 1954 and assignments in international organizations in respect of JS level and above officers of organized Group ‘A’ and Group ‘B’ services. The EO is also Member Secretary of the Central Establishment Board (CEB), which is chaired by Secretary (Personnel). This Board makes recommendations for deputing officers on foreign training, assessment of Central Secretariat Service officers for appointments to the posts of Deputy Secretary and Director in the Ministries/Departments as well as premature retirement under the relevant rules in respect of officers below the rank of Joint Secretary.
Cabinet Committees of IndiaEdit
The six Committees of the Cabinet are:
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet
- Cabinet Committee on Accommodation
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs
- Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs
- Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs
- Cabinet Committee on Security
All Committees of Cabinet except Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs (CCPA) and Cabinet Committee on Accommodation (CCA) are chaired/headed by Prime Minister. CCPA and CCA are headed by Union Home Minister.
- Cabinet Committee on Employment and Skill Development
- Cabinet Committee on Investment and Growth
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-02-17. Retrieved 2017-02-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Modi govt forms two cabinet committees to boost investment, employment". businesstoday. Retrieved 6 June 2019.