AirPods(Redirected from Apple AirPods)
|Release date||December 13, 2016
December 20, 2016 (In-store)
They feature new user interactions; for example, removing an AirPod from one's ear causes playback to pause and vice versa, and double tapping them can either activate Siri, or play or pause playback. For full functionality, AirPods require devices running at minimum iOS 10.2, macOS Sierra or watchOS 3. They automatically sync through iCloud so that the user can switch to other supported devices signed in to the same Apple ID. They can also play audio from any device that supports Bluetooth 4.0 or higher, including Android devices (which can use the double tap gesture to control playback).
AirPods were introduced on September 7, 2016 alongside the iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2. Apple originally planned to release the AirPods in late October, but the company delayed the release date. On December 13, 2016, Apple released the AirPods to be ordered online. They were available at Apple Stores, Apple Authorized Resellers, and select carriers on December 20.
In the 2017 Apple Special Event, Apple teased an optional wireless charging case named AirPower. However, this won’t be released until an unspecified date in 2018.
Each AirPod weighs 0.14 oz (4 g), and its charging case weighs 1.34 oz (38 g). It holds a charge for about five hours, and the charging case can charge it for up to 24 hours of usage. During a teardown, each AirPod was found to contain a 93 milliwatt hour battery in its stem, while the charging case was found to contain a 1.52 watt hour or 398 mAh at 3.81 V battery.
One criticism of AirPods is their high price; however, at launch they were actually priced less than most "true wireless" earbuds on the market (e.g. the Samsung Icon X and Bragi Dash) and remain competitively priced with similar products from other major brands. Another criticism is the perceived tendency to fall out of one's ear; however, testing by Business Insider has shown that it is quite unlikely for this to happen during normal use for most ear types.
Another prominent criticism was an issue that caused the charging case battery to deplete at a rapid rate despite the AirPods not being used. Users were reporting upwards of 30% idle discharge per day. Apple then upgraded the AirPods' firmware to 3.5.1, available to all users, which addressed connectivity and battery drain issues.
- "AirPods". Apple. Archived from the original on 18 September 2017. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Pierce, David. "Hands On: Apple's AirPod Wireless Earphones Look Very nice And Work Great". Archived from the original on September 19, 2016.
- "Apple - Press Info - Apple Reinvents the Wireless Headphone with AirPods". www.apple.com. Archived from the original on October 7, 2016. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Apple Delays AirPod Rollout". Archived from the original on November 4, 2016. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Greg Emmanuel (December 14, 2016). "Review: Apple AirPods Are Pretty F--king Cool". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on December 14, 2016. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- "Apple AirPods are now available". December 13, 2016. Archived from the original on December 14, 2016. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- Gyulasi, Zoltan (January 30, 2017). ""Find My AirPods" Coming to iOS 10.3 - EDMTunes". EDMTunes. Archived from the original on February 1, 2017. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Everything You Need To Know About Apple Wireless Earbuds, The Airpods - Wearable In Ear". Wearable In Ear. September 16, 2016. Archived from the original on January 16, 2017. Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- "Apple's W1 Chip for AirPods Is More Than Just a Bluetooth Controller". NDTV Gadgets360.com. Archived from the original on February 7, 2017. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- "AirPods Teardown". Ifixit. Archived from the original on December 21, 2016. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- "AirPods Teardown - iFixit". www.ifixit.com. Archived from the original on February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 7, 2017.
- "Apple Quietly Updates AirPodss to 3.5.1". Archived from the original on December 30, 2017. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "Apple Releases New Firmware Update for AirPods". Archived from the original on July 31, 2017. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- "Google Pixel Buds". Google Store. Archived from the original on October 11, 2017. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- Business Insider (September 13, 2016). "We tested out Apple's wireless AirPod headphones". Archived from the original on November 28, 2016 – via YouTube.
- "AirPods users complain of battery drainage issues with the charging case". Digital Trends. December 28, 2016. Archived from the original on February 7, 2017. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- Mayo, Benjamin (February 1, 2017). "Apple AirPods silently receive bug fix firmware update to version 3.5.1". 9to5Mac. Archived from the original on February 7, 2017. Retrieved February 6, 2017.