AirPods Max are wireless Bluetooth over-ear headphones created by Apple, and released on December 15, 2020. They are Apple’s highest-end option in the AirPods lineup, sold alongside the base model AirPods and mid-range AirPods Pro.
Airpods Max in space grey
|System on a chip|
|Website||AirPods Max - Apple|
The main benefits of the AirPods Max over the mid-range AirPods Pro are the over-ear design with larger speakers, inclusion of Apple's Digital Crown, more color options, and longer battery life.
Apple announced AirPods Max on December 8, 2020 via a website refresh, and released them on December 15, 2020. AirPods Max features an over-ear headphone design.
They use the H1 chip, which is also found in the second-generation AirPods and AirPods Pro. AirPods Max, like the AirPods Pro, come with Apple's Active Noise Cancellation technology for blocking outside noise, and Transparency mode for listening to sounds around you. The "Digital Crown", similar to that of the Apple Watch, allows users to play or pause audio, control volume, skip tracks, control phone calls, and activate Siri. Proximity sensors automatically detect when they are on a user's head and play or pause audio accordingly. Spatial audio uses built-in gyroscopes and accelerometers to track movement of the user's head and provide what Apple describes as a "theater-like" experience.
Apple provides a "Smart Case" for storing the AirPods Max.
AirPods Max is available in five colors: Space Gray, Silver, Sky Blue, Green, and Pink. Users can select from these five colors separately for the ear cushions and external chassis for a total of 25 color combinations (or 125 if using two different ear cushion colors). Additionally, users may add a personal engraving to the aluminium chassis.
Apple states that AirPods Max will be compatible with iOS 14.3, iPadOS 14.3, watchOS 7, tvOS 14, and macOS Big Sur. As of January 7, 2021, it is clear that AirPods Max will not be supported or offer limited support on older versions of Apple's software.
The AirPods Max Smart Case's design has been mocked by technology reviewers, along with users on Twitter for its resemblance to that of a bra or purse. Reporter Daniel Piper of Creative Bloq states "if we're not entirely convinced by the design of the AirPods Max themselves, we're utterly baffled by that of their charging 'Smart Case'. The shape resembles, well, lots of things, from handbags to body parts."
Numerous people have reported that condensation can build up near the drivers of the closed-back headphones after prolonged use under the removable ear cups. It has been suspected that the major cause is its full-metal body that naturally has temperature-dependent thermal conductivity.
- Welch, Chris (December 8, 2020). "Apple announces $549 AirPods Max noise-canceling headphones, coming December 15th". The Verge. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- "Apple Announces AirPods Max Over-Ear Headphones With Noise Cancellation, Priced at $549". www.macrumors.com. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- Sherr, Ian. "Apple announces $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones, preorders today, launch Dec. 15". CNET. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- "Apple Airpods Max Review And Price". Critical Info. December 14, 2020. Archived from the original on December 17, 2020. Retrieved December 17, 2020.
- "Here Are All 25 AirPods Max Color Combinations You Can Make With Swappable Ear Cushions". MacRumors. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- December 2020, Daniel Piper 08. "Forget AirPods Max, everyone's talking about Apple's new Smart Case". Creative Bloq. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- Hartmans, Avery. "Apple's new $550 AirPods Max headphones come with a carrying case that people are already saying looks like a purse or a bra". Business Insider. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- Cooper, Gael Fashingbauer. "The case for Apple's new AirPods Max could double as a bra, the internet decides". CNET. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- "Apple AirPods Max Condensation Issue Forming Water Droplets on Under Removable Earcups, Near Drivers". www.msn.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- Hardy, Ed (December 29, 2020). "AirPods Max condensation makes some owners sweat". Cult of Mac. Retrieved January 5, 2021.