macOS Monterey (version 12) is the eighteenth major release of macOS, Apple's desktop operating system for Macintosh computers. The successor to macOS Big Sur, it was announced at WWDC 2021 on June 7, 2021, and released on October 25, 2021. macOS Monterey was succeeded by macOS Ventura, which was released on October 24, 2022.
|Version of the macOS operating system|
|Source model||Closed, with open source components|
|October 25, 2021|
|Latest release||12.7.1 (October 25, 2023 )|
|Update method||Software Update|
|Kernel type||Hybrid (XNU)|
|License||Proprietary software with open-source components and content licensed with APSL|
|Preceded by||macOS Big Sur|
|Succeeded by||macOS Ventura|
|Official website||www.apple.com/macos/monterey at the Wayback Machine (archived 2022-10-18)|
|Tagline||High powered meets "Hi everyone."|
|Receiving security updates. Drops support for most Macs released from mid 2013 to 2014, including all Macs with Nvidia GPUs.|
macOS Monterey is the final version of macOS that supports the 2015–2017 MacBook Air, Retina MacBook Pro, 2014 Mac Mini and cylindrical Mac Pro, as its successor, macOS Ventura, drops support for those models.
Monterey introduced several new features and changes, including the following:
- Shortcuts for the Mac
- TestFlight for the Mac
- Provisions to allow the planned introduction of Universal Control, which allows a single keyboard and mouse to control multiple Macs and iPads. It works on Macs with Apple silicon and some with an Intel processor, including MacBook Pro (2016 and later), MacBook (2016 and later), MacBook Air (2018 and later), iMac (2017 and later), iMac (5K Retina, 27-inch, Late 2015), iMac Pro, Mac Mini (2018 and later), and Mac Pro (2019). It works on these iPads: iPad Pro, iPad Air (3rd generation and later), iPad (6th generation and later), and iPad Mini (5th generation and later).
- Support for the Apple Music Voice Plan Subscription.
- Portrait Mode and Noise Cancellation features for FaceTime and some apps (in Control Center).
- New Toolbar features and designs for Finder and the Preview app.
- Have a Live Memoji and Animoji right on the lock screen.
- A yellow privacy indicator on the menu bar for indicating if the Mac's microphone or camera is active.
- Live Text, which allows a user to copy, paste, translate and look up text from images displayed by Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, and Safari.
- New Passwords Manager for Mac
- New on-device machine-learning–activated keyboard dictation using Siri, and also now for almost unlimited duration.
- Low Power Mode for Mac that enables longer battery life for lightweight workflows such as reading PDFs, Web browsing, listening to music, etc. This works on MacBook Air (2018 and later) and MacBook Pro (2016 and later).
- A redesigned optional compact interface for the Safari browser.
- Support for playing AirPlay content streamed from recent iOS and iPadOS devices and Macs, including MacBook Pro (2018 and later), MacBook Air (2018 and later), iMac (2019 and later), iMac Pro (2017), Mac Mini (M1, 2020 and later), Mac Pro (2019), iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (2nd generation and later), iPad Air (3rd generation and later), iPad (6th generation and later), and iPad Mini (5th generation and later). Older iPhone, iPad, and Mac models may share content at a lower resolution to supported Mac models when "Allow AirPlay for" is set to "Everyone" or "Anyone on the same network" in Sharing preferences.
- Improvements to FaceTime, including the ability to share a screen and the SharePlay function that enables multiple users to watch or listen simultaneously and in sync (e.g., to music or TV shows).
- The ability to factory reset the Mac from the System Preferences app.
- Visual Look Up makes it easy to identify objects (e.g. cat breeds, dog breeds, etc.) found within user's photos.
- Focus to set different modes to filter notifications across iPhones, iPads and Macs.
- The Time Machine backup functionality excludes more system files.
- Provisions to allow the planned introduction of "Expanded Protections for Children," which will apply cryptography to detect and help limit the spread of child sexual abuse material (CSAM) online by scanning the user's iCloud photos.
- Accessibility option to change the mouse pointer's colors.
- Tips notifications.
- The removal of a previously bundled PHP interpreter.
- The removal of a previously bundled Python 2.7 interpreter (from 12.3)
- The removal of the ability to use custom Quartz Composer filters and plugins in Photo Booth.
- networkQuality, a command-line tool for measuring upload/download capacity, upload/download flows, and upload/download responsiveness
- An automatically populated "Games" folder within launchpad
- Support for ProMotion in new 2021 MacBook Pro
- New Object Capture API for creating 3D models using images
In the Notes application, users can now apply arbitrary tags to a note (e.g., #cooking, #work); groups of notes with a given tag or tags can be viewed in Smart Folders or a Tag Browser in the sidebar. The new Quick Notes function enables a user to create a note from within any app via system-wide keyboard shortcut or hot corner.
Messages supports new features, also introduced in iOS 15, such as "Shared with You" which provides shortcut links to content shared via Messages in other Apple apps such as Safari, Photos, Music, and News.
When multiple photos are sent/received, they are now displayed as a collection instead of multiple messages. A download button is provided to download all photos simultaneously.
Known problems edit
Users and developers have reported the following:
- Laptops unable to boot (fixed with 12.0.1 update)
- Inability to charge sleeping laptops with MagSafe (fixed with 12.1 update)
- Mouse pointer memory leak issue (fixed with 12.1 update)
- Audio issue with speaker and audio output crackling and popping
- Problems connecting external displays to Mac using any version of Monterey
- Unicode Hex Input does not work if the code point number is 0xx0 (first and last digits are zero) (fixed in Ventura 13.3)
Supported hardware edit
- iMac (Late 2015 or later)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- MacBook (Early 2016 or later)
- MacBook Air (Early 2015 or later)
- MacBook Pro (Early 2015 or later)
- Mac Mini (Late 2014 or later)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013 or later)
- Mac Studio (2022)
By using patch tools, macOS Monterey can be unofficially installed on earlier computers that are officially unsupported, such as the 2014 iMac and the 2013 MacBook Pro. Using these methods, it is possible to install macOS Monterey on computers as old as a 2008 MacBook Pro and iMac and 2009 Mac Mini.
Release history edit
|Previous release||Current release|
|Version||Build||Release date||Darwin version||Release notes|
|12.0[a]||21A344||October 25, 2021||21.0.1
Tue Sep 14 20:56:24 PDT 2021
Wed Oct 13 17:33:23 PDT 2021
|12.1||21C52||December 13, 2021||21.2.0
Sun Nov 28 20:28:54 PST 2021
|12.2||21D49||January 26, 2022||21.3.0
Wed Jan 5 21:37:58 PST 2022
|12.2.1||21D62||February 10, 2022||Release notes|
|12.3||21E230||March 14, 2022||21.4.0
Mon Feb 21 20:34:37 PST 2022
|12.3.1||21E258||March 31, 2022||21.4.0
Fri Mar 18 00:45:05 PDT 2022
|12.4||21F79[c]||May 16, 2022||21.5.0
Tue Apr 26 21:08:22 PDT 2022
|21F2081[d]||June 14, 2022|
|21F2092[e]||June 16, 2022|
|12.5||21G72||July 20, 2022||21.6.0
Sat Jun 18 17:07:22 PDT 2022
|12.5.1||21G83||August 17, 2022||21.6.0
Wed Aug 10 14:25:27 PDT 2022
|12.6||21G115||September 12, 2022||21.6.0
Mon Aug 22 20:17:10 PDT 2022
|12.6.1||21G217||October 24, 2022||21.6.0
Thu Sep 29 20:12:57 PDT 2022
|12.6.2||21G320||December 13, 2022||21.6.0
Sun Nov 6 23:31:16 PST 2022
|12.6.3||21G419||January 23, 2023||21.6.0
Mon Dec 19 20:44:01 PST 2022
|12.6.4||21G526||March 27, 2023||21.6.0
Thu Mar 9 20:08:59 PST 2023
|12.6.5||21G531||April 10, 2023||Release notes|
|12.6.6||21G646||May 18, 2023||21.6.0
Mon Apr 24 21:10:53 PDT 2023
|12.6.7||21G651||June 21, 2023||21.6.0
Thu Jun 8 23:57:12 PDT 2023
|12.6.8||21G725||July 24, 2023||21.6.0
Thu Jul 6 22:18:26 PDT 2023
|12.6.9||21G726||September 11, 2023||Release notes|
|12.7||21G816||September 21, 2023||21.6.0
Fri Sep 15 16:17:23 PDT 2023
|12.7.1||21G920||October 25, 2023||21.6.0
Wed Oct 4 23:55:28 PDT 2023
- Preinstalled on 2021 MacBook Pros
- Initial public release
- Public release
- Preinstalled on 2022 M2 MacBook Air & 13″ Pro
- Update for 2022 M2 MacBook Air & 13″ Pro
Timeline of Mac operating systems edit
|Timeline of Mac operating systems|
- Clover, Juli (October 25, 2021). "Apple Releases macOS Monterey With AirPlay to Mac, Live Text, Safari Updates, Shortcuts App and More". MacRumors. Archived from the original on October 25, 2021. Retrieved October 25, 2021.
- Clover, Juli (October 25, 2023). "Apple Releases macOS Sonoma 14.1". MacRumors. Retrieved October 26, 2023.
In addition to macOS Sonoma 14.1, Apple has also released macOS Ventura 13.6.1 and macOS Monterey 12.7.1 with many of the same security fixes for those still running older versions of macOS.
- Griffin, Andrew (June 7, 2021). "MacOS Monterey: Apple launches new operating system for Mac". The Independent. Archived from the original on 2021-06-07. Retrieved 2021-06-07.
- Clark, Mitchell (June 7, 2021). "macOS Monterey lets you run Shortcuts and share input and files between Macs and iPads". The Verge. Archived from the original on 2021-06-07. Retrieved 2021-06-07.
- Rayome, Alison DeNisco. "MacOS Monterey is on the way: Apple previewed MacOS 12 at WWDC and gave it a name". CNET. Archived from the original on 2021-06-07. Retrieved 2021-06-07.
- WWDC 2021 — June 7 | Apple, archived from the original on 2021-11-01, retrieved 2021-11-02
- Fathi, Sami (October 18, 2021). "Apple Releasing macOS Monterey on October 25". MacRumors. Archived from the original on October 18, 2021. Retrieved October 18, 2021.
- "Here's When You Can Download macOS Monterey Today [Update: It's Out!]". MacRumors. Archived from the original on 2021-11-02. Retrieved 2021-11-02.
- "Apple macOS Monterey Review". PC Mag. Archived from the original on 2021-11-02. Retrieved 2021-11-02.
- "macOS Monterey Preview – New Features". Apple (Hong Kong). Archived from the original on 2021-07-26. Retrieved 2021-07-26.
- "Erase all content and settings on Mac". Archived from the original on 2021-10-31. Retrieved 2021-10-31.
- Oakley, Howard (September 8, 2021). "What doesn't Time Machine back up?". Eclectic Light. Archived from the original on September 10, 2021. Retrieved September 10, 2021.
- "Child Safety". Apple Inc. Archived from the original on 2021-09-03. Retrieved 2021-10-08.
- Mandal, Bipasha (June 18, 2021). "macOS 12 Monterey update will no longer have built-in PHP". Archived from the original on September 27, 2021. Retrieved September 27, 2021.
- "macOS Monterey 12.3 Release Notes". Apple Developer Documentation. Archived from the original on 2022-04-13. Retrieved 2022-03-14.
- Rossignol, Joe (January 28, 2022). "Apple Finally Removing Python 2 in macOS 12.3". MacRumors. Archived from the original on 2022-03-26. Retrieved 2022-03-29.
- Espósito, Filipe (2021-06-09). "Hands-on: macOS 12 brings new 'Object Capture' API for creating 3D models using iPhone camera". 9to5Mac. Archived from the original on 2022-03-10. Retrieved 2022-03-10.
- Broach, Taha (June 28, 2021). "How to add and manage Tags in Notes in macOS Monterey and iOS 15". The 8-Bit. Archived from the original on July 9, 2021. Retrieved July 5, 2021.
- Broach, Taha (June 9, 2021). "How to use Quick Note in macOS 12 Monterey". The 8-Bit. Archived from the original on July 9, 2021. Retrieved July 5, 2021.
- "iOS 15 Features – What's New?". Goriber Tech. September 23, 2021. Archived from the original on September 24, 2021. Retrieved September 23, 2021.
- "All the New Features Coming to the Messages App in macOS Monterey". Make Use Of. June 18, 2021. Archived from the original on November 16, 2022. Retrieved November 16, 2022.
- Benjamin, Adam. "MacOS Monterey was bricking some laptops. That's been fixed". CNET. Archived from the original on 2021-12-04. Retrieved 2021-12-05.
- Lawler, Richard (2021-11-05). "Apple fixes bug that could cause macOS Monterey to brick Macs with a T2 security chip". The Verge. Archived from the original on 2021-12-04. Retrieved 2021-12-05.
- "Apple 'investigating' widespread MacBook Pro MagSafe charging issues". Macworld. Archived from the original on 2021-12-04. Retrieved 2021-12-05.
- "macOS Monterey 12.1 Fixes Major Tap to Click, YouTube HDR, and Charging Bugs". MacRumors Forums. Archived from the original on 2022-08-06. Retrieved 2022-07-22.
- Espósito, Filipe (May 10, 2022). "2021 MacBook Pro users complain about crackling and popping audio issues". Archived from the original on July 27, 2022. Retrieved July 27, 2022.
- "Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey". Archived from the original on 2022-09-28. Retrieved 2022-09-28.
- "Have you noticed that Unicode Hexadecimal Input does not work if the UCS/Unicode four-digit hexadecimal code point number begins and ends with a zero, and what is done about it?". Retrieved 2023-03-15.
- Pawar, Deepanshu (2021-06-08). "List of All Macs Compatibility With macOS Monterey". Cyphers.in. Archived from the original on 2021-06-12. Retrieved 2021-06-12.
- Clover, Juli (June 7, 2021). "Here Are All the Macs Compatible With macOS Monterey". MacRumors. Archived from the original on 2021-06-09. Retrieved 2021-06-07.
- "Opencore Legacy Patcher – Monterey + Big Sur". Mac Research. November 2021. Archived from the original on January 15, 2022. Retrieved January 15, 2022.
- "Supported Models". OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Archived from the original on February 1, 2022. Retrieved February 1, 2022.
- macOS Monterey – official site