Jacques-Alaixys Romao (born 18 January 1984), commonly known as Alaixys Romao, is a professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Greek Super League 2 club Athens Kallithea. Born in France, he represents Togo at international level.
|Full name||Jacques-Alaixys Romao|
|Date of birth||18 January 1984|
|Place of birth||L'Haÿ-les-Roses, France|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of 23:00, 13 May 2023 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals, correct as of 18 June 2023
Club career Edit
Early career Edit
Romao started his professional career with Toulouse FC, but only managed appearances for the B team in 2004–05 and was then transferred for free to Louhans-Cuiseaux in the Championnat National, the French third tier.
In the 2007–08 season, he was traded for free to Grenoble and his career took off. A solid and rugged defensive midfielder, Romao proved a valuable asset for Grenoble. His first season with the club saw him appear 30 times in Ligue 2 with 2 goals and 10 yellow cards topped with a promotion to Ligue 1.
In 2008–09, he made 37 appearances, 32 of them as a starter in Ligue 1 and managed to avoid the drop. The next season, Romao made 29 appearances for Grenoble and 2 assists. However, Grenoble was not able to avoid the drop this time and was relegated.
Romao was then signed by FC Lorient in July 2010 for a reported fee of 8,000.00 GBP. In the 2010–11 season, his first with FC Lorient, Romao made 33 appearances in Ligue 1 with a goal and 2 assists, 2 appearances in the Ligue Cup and 2 appearances in the French Cup competition with 1 goal. Romao made another 32 appearances as a starter in the 2011–12 season with a goal and an assist, but also with 11 yellow cards and 2 red cards.
On 31 January 2013, Romao was signed by Marseille. According to L'Équipe, the transfer fee paid to Lorient was €2 million and the duration of Romao's contract was 3.5 years. At the end of his contract in the summer of 2016, he was released by the club, having made 127 appearances in all competitions, scoring 4 goals.
On 31 August 2016, Romao joined Greek club Olympiacos, signing a two-year contract with the option of another year. At the end of the season, he helped the club to win the 7th consecutive Super League title.
On 16 August 2017, he scored his first international goal with the club, as Olympiacos came from behind, in first half, to win 2–1 against HNK Rijeka in added time for the 1st leg of UEFA Champions League play-offs. On 16 September 2017, he signed a new contract with the club, which would keep him at the club till the summer of 2020.
Following the expiration of his contract at Reims, Romao joined Guingamp on a free transfer.
On 30 June 2021, Romao signed an one-year contract with Greek club Ionikos as a free agent. No agreement could be found on the contours of an extension in Brittany.
Athens Kallithea FC Edit
International career Edit
The French-born player has featured for the French under-18 national team, but is a member of the Togolese national team since 2005, for which he was called up to the 2006 World Cup.
- "FIFA World Cup Germany 2006 – List of Players" (PDF). Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 June 2019. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Les détails du transfert de Romao" [Details of the Romao transfer]. Le Phoceen (in French). 1 February 2013. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "OM - Transfert : Alaixys Romao rejoint l'Olympiakos (Off.) !" [OM - Transfer: Alaixys Romao joins Olympiakos!]. Foot Sur 7 (in French). 31 August 2016. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Alayxis Romao à l'Olympiakos (off)" [Alaixys Romao to Olympiakos]. L'Équipe (in French). 31 August 2016. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Olympiakos vs Rijeka 2-1". www.uefa.com. 16 August 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Ανανέωσε με Ρομαό ο Ολυμπιακός". www.sport24.gr. 16 September 2017.
- "Επίσημο: Ο Ρομαό στη Ρεμς" (in Greek). www.sport24.gr. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "Alaixys Romao: Togolese midfielder joins Guingamp from Reims". www.goal.com. Retrieved 21 August 2020.
- "En Avant Guingamp. Alaixys Romao signe un an à Ionikos" (in French). www.ouest-france.fr. Retrieved 30 June 2021.
- "Alaixys Romao joins Athens Kallithea FC". Athens Kallithea FC. Retrieved 1 July 2023.
- "Arsenal's Adebayor in Togo squad". BBC Sport. 16 May 2006. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "AfricanFootball – Togo".
- Barrie, Mohamed Fajah (6 March 2019). "Emmanuel Adebayor: Veteran striker in Togo squad for crucial Afcon qualifier". BBC Sport. Retrieved 8 March 2019.