Aitana Ocaña Morales (born 27 June 1999), known mononymously as Aitana, is a Spanish singer, songwriter and model. She first gained national recognition in 2017, placing as the runner-up in series nine of the Spanish reality television talent competition Operación Triunfo, behind Amaia Romero. While competing in Operación Triunfo, Aitana released the single "Lo malo" with fellow competitor Ana Guerra. The song went on to become a number-one hit in Spain and was certified five times platinum, additionally being used in International Women's Day demonstrations in Spain.
Aitana during a concert in Zaragoza, in 2019.
|Birth name||Aitana Ocaña Morales|
|Born||27 June 1999|
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
|Labels||Universal Music Spain|
Following the competition, Aitana signed with Universal Music Spain and released her debut solo single "Teléfono", which became her second number-one single. Its music video became the most-watched Vevo music video within twenty-four hours of all-time in Spain. Her debut extended play Tráiler was released in November 2018, becoming her first chart-topping album and the second most-streamed album within twenty-four hours of all-time in Spain. The extended play's second single "Vas a quedarte" became her third chart-topping hit and the most-streamed song in its first twenty-four hours on Spotify Spain, surpassing the previous record which was also held by her previous release "Teléfono". Her debut studio album Spoiler (2019), was later released in June 2019 and became her second chart-topping album.
Aitana Ocaña Morales was born in Barcelona on 27 June 1999 to Cosme Ocaña and Belén Morales. She grew up in the municipality of Sant Climent de Llobregat, but her parents often visited France and the Netherlands. In 2014, Aitana began to share cover versions of popular songs on YouTube. In the same year, she composed her first original songs.
In 2017, she completed bachillerato and was admitted to study design the following year. After taking selectividad, she visited Ciudad Universitaria in Madrid, where the auditions for Operación Triunfo were being held. After auditioning, she eventually was chosen for series nine of the competition.
2017–2018: Operación Triunfo and first releasesEdit
In October 2017, Aitana entered musical reality show contest Operación Triunfo. After over three months it ended with her as the show's runner-up. During her participation in the contest, she competed to represent Spain in the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 with two songs: "Arde", which she performed solo, and "Lo malo", composed by Brisa Fenoy and performed as a duet with Ana Guerra. The former song ended in second place and the latter finished third in the selection. Even though "Lo malo" hadn't been selected by the public to represent the country, it became an instant hit in Spain, topping the charts for five non-consecutive weeks and being certified 5x platinum. A remix of the song featuring Greeicy and Tini was released in August 2018. The song was performed at the 2019 Premios Lo Nuestro in Miami.
Aitana embarked on a co-headlining tour with her Operación Triunfo mates from March to December 2018. The tour consisted of 23 dates and was attended by almost 300,000 people. In July, the singer released her first solo single "Teléfono" which received mixed reviews. The song became her first number-one solo song in Spain. It topped the charts for six consecutive weeks and was certified 4x platinum. Its music video became the most watched video on its first twenty-four hours on YouTube's Vevo channel in Spain. "Teléfono" was included in her debut extended play, Tráiler, which she released on November 30, 2018. The EP features six original songs, of which one is a collaboration with the Venezuelan-American singer Lele Pons. A week after, "Vas a Quedarte" was released as the EP's second single. Written alongside Colombian band Morat, it became her third number-one hit in Spain and was nominated for "Song of the Year" at the 2019 LOS40 Music Awards. She also released an illustrated book which she named La Tinta de Mis Ojos, became an embassador for Stradivarius, took part of a Coca-Cola Christmas campaign and presented Bad Bunny alongside Pons at the 19th Annual Latin Grammy Awards.
2019–present: Breakthrough with SpoilerEdit
Aitana began teasing her debut studio album in March 2019 which was intended to be a new EP that would be the second of a trilogy. That same month, the singer announced that she would be embarking on an intimate promotional concert tour the month after produced by Los40. At the tour's first stop, in Barcelona, the singer revealed that she had changed her mind a little bit. Now, she wasn't scheduled to release another 6-track EP but a full album. She announced the album's name, Spoiler and hinted the release date of the album; she said that it would be released by the beginning of summer. In April 2019 she collaborated with Morat in "Presiento". In May she collaborated with former One Direction member Zayn in the revamped version of "A Whole New World" for the live action film of Disney's Aladdin. On May 17, 2019, she released "Nada Sale Mal", the lead single of her upcoming debut studio album. It peaked at number 4 on the Spanish charts and has been certified Gold. The album was released digitally and physicaly on June 7, 2019. It debuted at the top of the charts and was certified Gold in its first week. Later that month, the collaboration with Lola Indigo "Me Quedo" was released as the album's second single. Thanks to this work, Aitana was nominated for Best New Artist at the 20th Annual Latin Grammy Awards, where she performed "Mi Persona Favorita" alongside Greeicy, Nella and Alejandro Sanz.
The singer embarked on her first concert tour, the Play Tour, in support of the album, on June 22, 2019. With it, Aitana has been given the oportunity to sell-out large arenas like Madrid's Palacio Vistalegre, Seville's Auditorio Rocío Jurado or Barcelona's Palau Sant Jordi, with the last one being the country's largest indoor arena. The singer performed 27 shows around Spain from June to December 2019. It has been confirmed that the tour will continue thoughout 2020 in Spain and Latin America.
Shortly after releasing Spoiler, Aitana announced that the album would be reissued. Thus, on December 3, 2019, it was released by accident on Spotify. After removing it shortly after, the singer announced "Spoiler: Re-Play". Released on December 20, 2019, the reissue includes the album, five acoustic versions of her own songs and a tour documentary that features images of her concerts in Madrid, Barcelona and Granada. It hasn't been released in digital platforms but only in physical stores. Aitana ended 2019 being the third most streamed female artist on Sportify in Spain only being surpassed by flamenco fusion singer Rosalía and Colombian singer Karol G.
On December 18, 2019, Aitana released the lead single of her upcoming second studio album. She anticipated during fall that it would feature an internationally-known artist. Thus on the mentioned day she released "+" featuring Colombian duo Cali Y el Dandee. The song debuted at number 21 on the PROMUSICAE chart with only two days of tracking making it the only song in Spanish music history to reach this position with within this 2 days. On December 28, 2019, it was announced that Aitana will have a cameo role in the third season of the original Spanish Netflix series, Elite.
- Spoiler (2019)
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2018||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Spanish Act||Aitana y Ana Guerra||Won|||
|Cosmo Awards||Girl Gang Award||Herself||Won|||
|LOS40 Music Awards||Best New Artist||Aitana y Ana Guerra||Won|||
|Song of the Year||"Lo Malo"||Nominated|
|2019||Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Spanish Artist||Herself||Won|||
|BreakTudo Awards||International New Artist||Nominated|||
|Latin Grammy Awards||Best New Artist||Nominated|||
|LOS40 Music Awards||Artist of the Year||Nominated|||
|Song of the Year||"Vas a Quedarte"||Nominated|
|Video of the Year||"Me Quedo"||Nominated|
|Del 40 al 1 Artist Award||Herself||Won|
|2020||Premios Odeón||Best Female Artist||Nominated|||
|Best New Artist||Won|
|Best Music Video||"Teléfono"||Nominated|
- "Aitana, de "OT": Así la ven sus padres". Pronto (in Spanish). January 21, 2018. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "Los 18 concursantes de 'Operación Triunfo 2017: Aitana". 20 Minutos (in Spanish). October 20, 2017. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- Prats, Marina (January 26, 2018). "Ficha de Aitana 'OT': la más pequeña de la Academia y con una fuerte pasión por la música". Huffington Post (in Spanish). Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- Fernández, Patricia (February 3, 2018). "Aitana Ocaña ('OT 2017'): Del anonimato al triunfo por su esfuerzo, su humildad y su voz angelical". Cultura en Serie (in Spanish). Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Redacción (July 18, 2017). "'OT 2017': Se cierra su selección con un casting multitudinario en Madrid con el regreso de triunfitos". Formula TV (in Spanish). Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "Operación Triunfo 2017 Aitana es concursante de OT". Radio Televisión Española (in Spanish). October 20, 2017. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- "OT: El 'ángel' de Aitana, medalla de plata en la final de Operación Triunfo". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). February 6, 2018. Retrieved February 6, 2018.
- "Aitana de OT hace magia con 'Arde' y el jurado se rinde". Marca (in Spanish). January 30, 2018. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- News, Eurovision; News, Participants; Participants, Eurovision; Fans (2018-01-30). "Eurovision Spain: Alfred & Amaia will fly to Lisbon! - ESCToday.com". Eurovision News, Polls and Information by ESCToday. Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- War, Yure (February 2, 2018). "'Lo Malo' ya es un éxito mundial". El Mundo (in Spanish). Retrieved March 30, 2018.
- País, El (2018-08-24). "'Lo malo' ya tiene su remix latino". El País (in Spanish). ISSN 1134-6582. Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- González, Moisés (February 12, 2019). "Gabriel Soto entre los presentadores del pre-show de Premio Lo Nuestro: te contamos todas las novedades". People en Español (in Spanish). Meredith Latino Network. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Todas las fechas de la gira de 'Operación Triunfo 2017'". El Confidencial (in Spanish). 2018-02-07. Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- "'Teléfono' de Aitana bate todos los récords en España". RTVE (in Spanish). 3 August 2018. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "El videoclip 'Telefono' de Aitana supera el millón de visitas en unas horas". El País (in Spanish). Prisa. 27 July 2018. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- López, D. "Aitana rompe todos los récords con el lanzamiento de 'Tráiler'". Famosos love. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- Palao Murcia, Alberto (27 October 2018). "Teléfono Rémix: Lele Pons, la perfecta aliada de Aitana para que 'Teléfono' sea un hit internacional". Los 40. Prisa. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- Zavala, Cristina (13 December 2018). "'Vas a quedarte' de Aitana… ¡Estreno en primicia!". Los 40 (in Spanish). Prisa. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- González, Melissa (9 June 2018). "Aitana Ocaña publicará su libro más personal". Mujer Hoy (in Spanish). Vocento. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "La canción del anuncio de Coca Cola 2018 reúne a los 'triunfitos': Aitana, Ana Guerra, Lola Índigo, Raoul y Agoney, juntos por Navidad". Las Provincias (in Spanish). Vocento. 21 December 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- de Dios Corrales, Juan (13 November 2018). "¡Sorpresa! Aitana presentará en los Grammy Latinos (si es que los encuentra)". Cuore. Zoom Ediciones, S.L. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Aitana anuncia en El Hormiguero de Antena 3, que a finales de noviembre, lanzará un EP de 6 canciones". Vinilo Negro (in Spanish). October 25, 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Aitana ofrecerá cuatro conciertos acústicos en 'Los40 Stage', en abril". Vinilo Negro (in Spanish). 2019-03-27. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Aitana Ocaña de 'OT' desvela que el nombre de su próximo álbum es 'Spoiler'". OKDIARIO (in Spanish). April 10, 2019. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- Villacañas, Javier (10 May 2019). "Se filtra el audio de Aitana cantando con Zayn "Un mundo ideal"". Cadena 100 (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- EFE (18 May 2019). "Aitana estrena 'Nada sale mal', el nuevo single del disco que está en camino". 20 Minutos (in Spanish). Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Así suena 'Me quedo', lo nuevo de Aitana y Lola Índigo". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). 7 June 2019. Retrieved 7 June 2019.
- 20minutos (2019-11-14). "Alejandro Sanz, Rosalía y Aitana, entre los españoles que optan esta noche a ganar un Grammy Latino". www.20minutos.es - Últimas Noticias (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- "Grammy Latinos 2019: Alejandro Sanz, Aitana, Nella y Greeicy se unen para cantar 'Mi persona favorita'". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- Montalvo, Beatriz Alonso (2019-04-11). "«Play Tour»: Ya a la venta las entradas de la gira de Aitana". El Rescate Musical (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- "Ya disponibles las entradas para el Play Tour de Aitana en Madrid y Barcelona". telecinco (in Spanish). 2019-08-21. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- DailyES ➕, Aitana ✨ (2019-12-18). "| @Aitanax: "Me voy en enero a vivir a Los Ángeles para componer, bailar, dar clases de baile y de inglés". A su vuelta seguirá componiendo, con su gira y preparando un nuevo álbum. ¡Vamos a tener Aitana para rato y nueva música durante el 2020! pic.twitter.com/Ja5a4HkhBN". @Aitana_DailyES (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- Se filtra el proyecto de Aitana para el 2020 y… ¡Vas a flipar!, retrieved 2019-12-22
- Diezminutos.es, Por (2019-06-07). "La cantante Aitana habla de cómo consigue tener los pies en la tierra". Diez Minutos (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- Aitana ✚, News (2019-12-04). "¡Buenos días! Para los que nos preguntan... Ya no se pueden escuchar los acústicos de "SPOILER RE-PLAY" de @Aitanax, los han bloqueado en 'streaming', así que habrá que esperar al lanzamiento oficial para volver a disfrutar de ellos. ¡Ya queda menos!". @NewsAitana (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- Musical, El Rescate (2019-12-16). "Aitana publicará 'Spoiler Re-play', edición especial de su primer álbum con DVD". El Rescate Musical (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- UniversalMusicSpain (2019-12-20). ".@Aitanax presenta hoy la edición especial "SPOILER RE-PLAY" que incluye el audio de "SPOILER" además de 1 hora aproximadamente de contenido exclusivo en DVD: Documental de la gira y 5 temas en acústico https://umusices.lnk.to/AsrpTP pic.twitter.com/guKMmZ3L4x". @UniversalSpain (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-22. External link in
- "Rosalía, Aitana y Lola Índigo: entre las artistas más reproducidas en Spotify". El Televisero (in Spanish). 2019-12-04. Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- PLAYZ (2019-12-04). "Aitana sorprende a sus seguidores anunciando su colaboración con Cali y Dandee". RTVE.es (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- "'+' de Aitana y Cali Y El Dandee, mejor debut histórico en la lista española, con 48 horas o menos de publicación". Vinilo Negro (in Spanish). 2019-12-26. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- "Aitana tiene un cameo en la tercera temporada de 'Élite'". Los 40. December 28, 2019. Retrieved January 2, 2020.
- Europa Press (21 January 2020). "Aitana gana el premio Odeón a la Artista Revelación". ABC (in Spanish). Vocento. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Aitana gana el premio Odeón a la Artista Revelación". 20 Minutos (in Spanish). 21 January 2020. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Aitana ✚, News (2018-06-30). "Aitana y Ana Guerra acaban de ganar el premio 'Radio Disney Music Awards' como 'Estrella española más brillante' ¡Enhorabuena chicas! #RDMApic.twitter.com/daYTc8lTSt". @newsaitana (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- "El vídeo de Aitana y Ana Guerra bailando 'Lo Malo' en los premios Cosmopolitan". Lecturas (in Spanish). 2018-10-19. Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- "Ganadores" (in Spanish). Los40. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards 2019 International Nominees & Winners". NickALive. 29 March 2019.
- Nakama, Kyle (22 August 2019). "BreakTudo Awards 2019: BlackPink, BTS and Red Velvet received multiple nominations". AllKpop.
- None, Por Redacción (2019-11-15). "Todos los ganadores de los Grammy Latinos 2019". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-10.
- "Nominados de LOS40 Music Awards 2019". Los 40 (in Spanish). Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- "Rosalía, Leiva o Amaia nominados a los nuevos Premios Odeón". HOLA USA (in Spanish). 2019-12-23. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aitana (singer).|