Vocento, S.A., also known as Grupo Vocento, is a Spanish mass media group. Its flagship daily newspaper is the conservative and monarchist ABC, also publishing El Correo. Vocento was created in 2001 upon the merger of Grupo Correo with Prensa Española, the publisher of ABC. The group is also a player in the regional press sector, mainly owing to former properties of Correo (El Diario Montañés, La Verdad, Hoy, Ideal, Sur, La Rioja, El Norte de Castilla, El Comercio). Through Net TV, the group also owns a DDT license, which is leased to Paramount Network and Disney Channel.
|Products||ABC, El Correo, Relevo|
It has its origins in 1910 with the launch of El Pueblo Vasco, a newspaper founded by the Ybarra family, which merged with El Correo Español in 1938. In the 1940s they obtained shares in El Noticiero Bilbaíno and in 1948 they began its development with the acquisition of most of El Diario Vasco. The expansion outside the Basque Country (Spain) started in 1984 with the acquisition of shares in El Diario Montañés (Santander).
In the 1980s the holding company Corporación de Medios de Comunicación Social (Comecosa) was created, which acquired 8 regional leading newspapers (Las Provincias, La Rioja, El Norte de Castilla, etc). In 1988 the newspaper La Verdad (Murcia), Hoy (Badajoz) and Ideal (Granada) were acquired. In 1990 the Diario Sur de Málaga was also incorporated.
The Group was established in 2001 as a result of the merger of Grupo Correo and Prensa Española. The company has its headquarters in Madrid. It is the national leader in the publication of general supplements (XLSemanal, MHMujer, El Semanal TV) and specialist magazines (Mi Cartera de Inversión, Motor 16 and corporate magazines). It also has held assets in the entertainment sector, in both radio (Punto Radio) and television (Telecinco (13%), Net TV, Fly Music), and in audiovisual production and distribution (Hospital Central, El Comisario and Pasapalabra, among others), as well as the Internet, with more than 19 million unique visitors. In addition, the company has a news agency, Colpisa.
Vocento is composed of over 120 companies, some of which are over a hundred years old. Since 8 November 2006, the Group has been listed on the Spanish stock market.
Vocento and ABC opened a new headquarters in Josefa Valcárcel in July 2020.
In 2006 the share of the group in the Spanish press market was 25,7%.
- Artero-Muñoz, Juan Pablo; Zugasti, Ricardo; Hernánez-Corchete, Sira (2021). "Media Concentration in Spain: National, sectorial, and regional groups". Estudios sobre el Mensaje Periodístico. Madrid: Ediciones Complutense. 27 (3): 771–772. doi:10.5209/esmp.72928. ISSN 1134-1629.
- Pérez Serrano, María José; García Santamaría, José Vicente (2018). "Vocento o los límites de la prensa regional". Estudios sobre el Mensaje Periodístico. Madrid: Ediciones Complutense. 24 (1): 311–322. doi:10.5209/ESMP.59952. ISSN 1988-2696.
- Pérez Serrano & García Santamaría 2018, p. 314.
- Artero-Muñoz, Zugasti & Hernánez-Corchete 2021, p. 771.
- "Country Profile: Spain". Institute of Media and Communications Study. Archived from the original on 21 February 2015. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Enric Castelló; David Domingo (2005). "Spanish media facing new media: a challenge to journalists?". International Journal of Iberian Studies. 18 (3). Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- José Alberto García Avilés; Miguel Carvaja (2008). "Integrated and Cross-Media Newsroom Convergence". The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies. 14 (2). Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- Martínez Fornés, Almudena (13 July 2020). "Los Reyes inauguran la nueva sede de Vocento y ABC". ABC.
- Andrea Czepek; Melanie Hellwig; Eva Nowak (2009). Press Freedom and Pluralism in Europe: Concepts and Conditions. Intellect Books. p. 278. ISBN 978-1-84150-243-4. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Andreu Casero-Ripollés; Jessica Izquierdo-Castillo (2013). "Between Decline and a New Online Business Model: The Case of the Spanish Newspaper Industry" (PDF). Journal of Media Business Studies. 10 (1): 63–78. doi:10.1080/16522354.2013.11073560. hdl:10234/92211. S2CID 73667009. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Las Provincias". Vocento. Retrieved 19 February 2015.