|Country of origin||Spain|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Original release||Antena 3 (first run):|
24 July 2000 – 16 June 2006
16 July 2007 – 1 October 2019
Antena 3 (second run):
13 May 2020 –present
In each episode, two contestants team with celebrities to play various games. A team's correct responses in these games score seconds, extending their contestant's time limit in the final game, known as el rosco final or el rosco.
In the rosco, gameplay proceeds through letters of the Spanish alphabet. For each letter, the host reads a definition of a word starting with or containing that letter. A contestant responds with a word, or passes by saying "pasapalabra". Completing the rosco with every response correct wins the show's progressive jackpot.
Advanced gameplay sees one player immediately passing (Pasapalabra) to skip letters they don't know the answer to and then deliberately running their clock down during the rosco round when their opponent has got letters wrong and cannot win, unless they believe they know all the remaining answers of course. Whilst the purpose of this is the player's own motive, one reason is to prevent the opponent from immediately passing as well thus forcing them to play on a letter they obviously don't know the word for.
In 2006, a Pasapalabra jackpot of €2,190,000 became the largest prize ever awarded on a game show in Spain, and the third largest prize ever awarded on a game show in Europe.
In 2014, Lilit Manukyan of Armenia became the first Pasapalabra jackpot winner whose native language was not Spanish.
On 2 October 2019, the programme was pulled by Telecinco, following a ruling by the Supreme Court of Spain in favour of ITV Studios in a royalty dispute over the rights to the Pasapalabra format. While initially adapted from the British panel game show The Alphabet Game, Mediaset argued that the format had evolved substantially to include elements (such as the endgame) that were not included in the original format, to the point that it believed ITV were no longer entitled to royalties. However, the court ruled otherwise. Telecinco briefly replaced the programme with its own original format, El tirón, which was also hosted by Gálvez.
On 19 December 2019, Antena 3 announced that it would revive Pasapalabra. Roberto Leal took on hosting duties, with Manel Fuentes filling in for him for two episodes while he was quarantined after contracting COVID-19.
List of El Rosco winnersEdit
|Date||Name of contestant||Win (Euros)||Win (Pesetas)||Notes|
|10 September 2000||Juan Campoy Armero||€60,101.21||10.000.000 ₧||First but smallest win of the first Antena 3 era.|
|November 2000||Gabriel García||€168,283.39||28.000.000 ₧|
|January 2001||José Manuel Dorado||€150,253.03||25.000.000 ₧|
|February 2001||Alberto Martínez Pellicer||€132,222.26||22.000.000 ₧|
|March 2001||Joseba Molina||€126,212.54||21.000.000 ₧|
|19 June 2001||Josep Badia||€240,404.84||40.000.000 ₧|
|9 December 2001||Rafael Moreno||€432,728.72||72.000.000 ₧||Biggest Spanish game show win at the time.|
|14 April 2003||Ernesto García||€555,000||92,344,230 ₧|
|17 March 2004||Manuel Romero||€1,023,000||170,212,880 ₧||First win above €1,000,000.|
|8 May 2006||Eduardo Bonito||€2,190,000||364,385,340 ₧||Biggest ever Pasapalabra win.|
|9 June 2006||Rubén García||€144,000||23,959,584 ₧||Final Antena 3 win until 2021.|
|6 August 2007||Marta Sierra||€96,000||15,973,056 ₧||First win of the Telecinco era.|
|20 November 2007||Javier Pascual||€30,000||4,991,580 ₧|
|18 September 2007||Daniel Cerrada||€186,000||30,947,796 ₧|
|16 November 2007||Miguel Rodríguez||€240,000||39,932,640 ₧|
|11 December 2007||José Federico Martín||€66,000||10,981,476 ₧|
|14 January 2008||Nuria Fernández||€24,000|
|1 March 2008||Mariano Gazo||€54,000|
|13 June 2008||María José Sánchez||€36,000|
|10 January 2008||Francisco M. García||€90,000|
|21 February 2008||Rafael Soriano||€228,000|
|28 April 2008||Víctor Puig||€342,000|
|6 June 2008||Pedro García||€234,000|
|13 June 2008||Manoli Casas||€192,000|
|3 September 2008||Pilar Aimeigeiras||€156,000|
|October 2008||Emilio Maestro||€180,000|
|25 November 2008||Javier Álvarez||€312,000|
|7 December 2008||Beatriz Soria||€72,000|
|30 December 2008||Álvaro Altarejos||€132,000|
|23 January 2009||Pedro Hernández||€132,000|
|19 April 2009||José Manuel Lúcia||€396,000|
|16 June 2009||Jon Iñaki Aguado||€282,000|
|9 July 2009||Javier Granda||€108,000|
|24 September 2009||Antonio García||€450,000|
|13 December 2009||Rubén García||€366,000|
|22 December 2009||Sebastián Cárdenas||€42,000|
|10 January 2010||Francisco Javier Ajo||€102,000|
|12 March 2010||Laura Gonzalo||€282,000|
|22 March 2010||Pilar Acedo||€36,000|
|4 May 2010||Carlos Rodriguez Rincón||€186,000|
|10 June 2010||María José Hernanz||€180,000|
|1 September 2010||Rosi Díaz||€162,000|
|23 February 2011||Carlos Villalba||€852,000|
|24 February 2012||César Garrido||€1,524,000|
|18 July 2013||Juan Pedro Gómez||€1,674,000|
|27 May 2014||Paz Herrera||€1,310,000|
|21 August 2014||Paco de Benito||€362,000|
|21 November 2014||Lilit Manukyan||€318,000||First winner to not have Spanish as a native language.|
|19 February 2015||Luis Esteban||€354,000|
|24 February 2015||Jon Otazua||€18,000||Smallest Pasapalabra win.|
|11 June 2015||Susana García||€450,000|
|10 October 2016||David Leo García||€1,866,000||Largest win of the Telecinco era.|
|17 January 2017||Carlos Adán||€318,000|
|14 March 2017||Julio Escartín||€318,000|
|19 December 2017||Antonio Ruiz||€1,164,000|
|4 June 2018||The Díaz Family||€198,000||Only family to win the jackpot in the spin-off Pasapalabra en familia.|
|22 January 2019||Francisco José González||€1,542,000||Final win of the Telecinco era.|
|1 July 2021||Pablo Díaz||€1,828,000||First and to date largest win of the Antena 3 revival.|
|27 September 2021||Sofia Álvarez||€466,000||To date smallest win of the Antena 3 revival.|
- "PASAPALABRA". Telecinco (in Spanish). Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- Gómez, Rosario G. (May 9, 2006). "'Pasapalabra' da un premio de 2,1 millones, el mayor de un concurso" [Pasapalabra gives away a 2.1 million prize, the largest from a game show]. El País (in Spanish). Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Christian Gálvez, próximo presentador de 'Pasapalabra' en Telecinco" [Christian Gálvez, the next host of Pasapalabra on Telecinco]. FormulaTV (in Spanish). May 11, 2007. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Valdés, Isabel (25 November 2014). "Cuando era pequeña soñaba con ser la primera astronauta armenia" [When I was little I dreamed of being the first Armenian astronaut]. El País (in Spanish). Retrieved 24 May 2020.
- Europa Press (2 October 2019). "El Supremo obliga a Telecinco a suspender la emisión de Pasapalabra "inmediatamente"" [The Supreme Court obliges Telecinco to cancel the broadcast of Pasapalabra "immediately"]. El Mundo (in European Spanish). Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- Mucientes, Esther. "Con la D, perder Pasapalabra: desgracia" [With the D, losing Pasapalabra: disgrace]. El Mundo. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- Yotele, Redacción (2019-10-18). "Christian Gálvez desvela detalles de 'El tirón' y anuncia el regreso de Rafa y Orestes". elperiodico (in Spanish). Retrieved 2022-09-18.
- Vertele (19 December 2019). "Antena 3 se queda con 'Pasapalabra' tras perderlo Telecinco" [Antena 3 gets 'Pasapalabra' after Telecinco loses it]. eldiario.es (in European Spanish). Retrieved 19 December 2019.
- Tom C. Avendaño (14 April 2020). "Roberto Leal presentará el 'Pasapalabra' de Antena 3" [Roberto Leal will present the ‘Pasapalabra’ of Antena 3]. El País (in European Spanish). Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Manel Fuentes, presentador visto y no visto de 'Pasapalabra'" [Manel Fuentes, blink-and-you-missed-him host of 'Pasapalabra']. El Confidencial (in Spanish). 16 September 2020. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- "Silvia Jato y Jaime Cantizano vuelven a 'Pasapalabra' por su 20 aniversario" [Silvia Jato and Jaime Cantizano return to 'Pasapalabra' for its 20th anniversary]. El Periódico de Catalunya (in Spanish). 31 December 2020. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- "'Pasapalabra' (19.2%) también triunfa en la tarde de domingo gracias a su especial 20 aniversario" ['Pasapalabra' (19.2%) also triumphs on Sunday evening thanks to its 20th anniversary special]. eldiario.es (in Spanish). 1 March 2021. Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- "Todos los números y récords que Pablo Díaz ha logrado en 'Pasapalabra' antes de ganar el bote". El Confidencial (in Spanish). 1 July 2021. Retrieved 28 September 2021.