|Governor of Kwara State|
|Assumed office |
29 May 2011
|Succeeded by||Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq |
|Born||29 December 1963|
Share, Kwara State, Nigeria
|Political party||People's Democratic Party (PDP)|
Ahmed was born on 29 December 1963 in Share, Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State. He attended Government College Funtua, Katsina State (1973–1978) and the school of Basic Studies of Kwara State College of Technology (now Kwara State Polytechnic), Ilorin (1978–1980). He went on to the University of Ilorin where he earned a BSc in Chemistry (1986) and a Master of Business Administration (MBA, 1992).
Ahmed was a lecturer in Organic Chemistry and later Acting Head of Department at Federal College of Arts and Science, Sokoto, in Sokoto State (1986–1990). He became an Assistant Manager at District Savings and Loans, Lagos (1991–1993). In 1993, he started work with Guaranty Trust Bank in the Credit and Marketing Unit. In 1998, he moved to Societe Generale Bank Nigeria as a Senior Manager/Group Head, Consumer Banking. Later, he became Public Sector Group for the North West region.
Ahmed was appointed Commissioner for Finance and Economic Development at the start of Abubakar Bukola Saraki's Kwara State Administration (2003–2009). He then became Commissioner of the newly created Ministry of Planning and Economic Development. During this period, Ahmed was also Treasurer of the forum of Commissioners of Finance in Nigeria for six years, and chairman, Budget Formulation Committee and Economic Team of Kwara State. He was appointed a member of board of directors of the International Aviation College, Ilorin, Chairman of the Millennium Development Goals implementation committee and Chairman of Shonga Farms Holdings Ltd.
In the PDP primaries, Ahmed won 695 votes, defeating Chief Bashir Omoloja Bolarinwa (39 votes) and Alhaji Yekinni Alabi (9 votes). In the 26 April 2011 elections, Ahmed won 254,969 votes. The runner-up, Dele Belgore of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) scored 152,580 votes.
- "My Profile". Abdulfatah Ahmed. Archived from the original on 12 March 2011. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- ene. "Kwara State Governor". www.nggovernorsforum.org. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "#Election2019: Ahmed Makarfi's Profile". #Election2019: Ahmed Makarfi’s Profile. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Mas'ud Adebimpe dvfdeerereff (10 January 2011). "Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed emerges as PDP flag bearer in the April 2011 guber election in Kwara State". Kwara State Government. Archived from the original on 15 March 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- Ifedayo Adebayo (28 April 2011). "People's Democratic Party triumphs in Kwara". Next. Archived from the original on 2 May 2011. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- "Breaking: Kwara state Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed dumps APC - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 31 July 2018. Retrieved 31 July 2018.