AMD RDNA Architecture
Radeon DNA (RDNA) is the codename for a GPU microarchitecture and accompanying instruction set developed by AMD for their GPUs as the successor to their GCN microarchitecture/instruction set. The first product lineup featuring RDNA will be the Radeon RX 5000 series of video cards slated to launch in July 2019. The architecture is also planned to be used in mobile products and the upcoming next generation of game consoles by Sony and Microsoft.
It is likely to be RISC SIMD (or rather SIMT) microarchitecture. It is going to be manufactured and fabricated with TSMC's 7 nm FinFET graphics chips used in the Navi series of AMD Radeon graphics cards.
The architecture features a new processor design, although the first details released at AMD's Computex keynote hints at aspects from the previous a Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture being present. It will feature multi-level cache hierarchy and an improved rendering pipeline, with support for GDDR6 memory. A completely redesigned (non-hybrid) architecture is planned as a successor (rumor).
Starting with the architecture itself, one of the biggest changes for RDNA is the width of a wavefront, the fundamental group of work. GCN in all of its iterations was 64 threads wide, meaning 64 threads were bundled together into a single wavefront for execution. RDNA drops this to a native 32 threads wide. At the same time, AMD has expanded the width of their SIMDs from 16 slots to 32 (aka SIMD32), meaning the size of a wavefront now matches the SIMD size.
RDNA also introduces working primitive shaders. While the feature was present in the hardware of the Vega architecture, it was difficult to get a real-world performance boost from and thus AMD never enabled it. Primitive shaders in RDNA are compiler-controlled.
The RDNA instruction set is owned by AMD (that also owns the X86-64 instruction set).
- Smith, Ryan (26 May 2019). "Home> GPUs AMD Teases First Navi GPU Products: RX 5700 Series Launches in July, 25% Improved Perf-Per-Clock". AnandTech. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- "AMD RDNA Architecture".
- AMD launches RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 GPUs with RDNA architecture
- Smith, Ryan (10 June 2019). "GPUs AMD Announces Radeon RX 5700 XT & RX 5700: The Next Gen of AMD Video Cards Starts on July 7th At $449/$379". AnandTech. p. 1. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- "AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT release date, price, specs, and performance". PCGamesN. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "AMD Radeon RX 5000 With Navi GPUs A Hybrid of RDNA & GCN Chip Architecture – Pure RDNA Based 'Navi 20' GPU Coming in 2020".
- Smith, Ryan (10 June 2019). "GPUs AMD Announces Radeon RX 5700 XT & RX 5700: The Next Gen of AMD Video Cards Starts on July 7th At $449/$379". AnandTech. p. 2. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- Stobing, Chris (10 June 2019). "AMD Details Radeon RX 5700 'Navi' GPUs: Here's What You Need to Know". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis, LLC. Retrieved 21 June 2019.