This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (March 2019)
Year 117 (CXVII) was a common year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Niger and Apronianus (or, less frequently, year 870 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 117 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Ab urbe condita||870|
|Balinese saka calendar||38–39|
|Chinese calendar||丙辰年 (Fire Dragon)|
2813 or 2753
— to —
丁巳年 (Fire Snake)
2814 or 2754
|Coptic calendar||−167 – −166|
|- Vikram Samvat||173–174|
|- Shaka Samvat||38–39|
|- Kali Yuga||3217–3218|
|Iranian calendar||505 BP – 504 BP|
|Islamic calendar||521 BH – 520 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1795 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||428/429 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||659–660|
243 or −138 or −910
— to —
244 or −137 or −909
- Trajan subdues a Jewish revolt (the Kitos War), then falls seriously ill, leaving Hadrian in command of the east.
- On his death bed, Trajan adopts Hadrian and designates him as his successor.
- August 9 – Emperor Trajan dies of a stroke at Selinus in Cilicia, age 63, while en route from Mesopotamia to Italy, leaving the Roman Empire at its maximal territorial extent.
- Hadrian, who will reign until 138, succeeds him.
- Hadrian, a Spaniard like Trajan, as Emperor inaugurates a policy of retrenchment and cultural integration, giving up the policy of conquest of his predecessor in order to consolidate the empire.
- Hadrian returns large parts of Mesopotamia to the Parthians as part of a peace settlement.
- Construction begins on the Pantheon in Rome.
- The Roman Empire reaches its greatest extent.
- The silver content of the Roman denarius falls to 87 percent under emperor Hadrian, down from 93 percent in the reign of Trajan.
- Wee, John Z. (2017). The Comparable Body - Analogy and Metaphor in Ancient Mesopotamian, Egyptian, and Greco-Roman Medicine. BRILL. p. 247. ISBN 9789004356771.