This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2022)
Year 97 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar. At the time it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Lentulus and Crassus (or, less frequently, year 657 Ab urbe condita) and the Fourth Year of Tianhan. The denomination 97 BC for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Gregorian calendar||97 BC|
|Ab urbe condita||657|
|Ancient Egypt era||XXXIII dynasty, 227|
|- Pharaoh||Ptolemy X Alexander, 11|
|Ancient Greek era||170th Olympiad, year 4|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||癸未年 (Water Goat)|
2600 or 2540
— to —
甲申年 (Wood Monkey)
2601 or 2541
|Coptic calendar||−380 – −379|
|Ethiopian calendar||−104 – −103|
|- Vikram Samvat||−40 – −39|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3004–3005|
|Iranian calendar||718 BP – 717 BP|
|Islamic calendar||740 BH – 739 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2008 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||215/216 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||446–447|
30 or −351 or −1123
— to —
31 or −350 or −1122
- Consuls: Gnaeus Cornelius Lentulus and Publius Licinius Crassus.
- C. Decianus, the prosecutor of Furius, is himself condemned for his remarks about the death of Saturninus.
- The Romans subdue the Maedi and Dardani.
- L. Domitius takes harsh measures to restore order in Sicily.
- The censors, Flaccus and Antonius, remove M. Duronius from the senate because of his opposition to sumptuary laws.
- A decree of the Roman Senate bans human sacrifices.
- Sulla displays a lion hunt for the first time in games at Rome.
- The Han generals Li Guangli, Gongsun Ao, Han Yue and Lu Bode lead armies into Xiongnu territory. The campaign achieves little, and Gongsun Ao suffers a defeat. Emperor Wu of Han condemns him to death, but he escapes by feigning his death. He is eventually discovered and executed during the witchcraft trials of 91 BC.
- Joseph, the husband of Mary the mother of Jesus, and his "earthly-father" - in distinction to God the Father, his "heavenly father" - is born. According to some accounts, Joseph was 92 years old when Jesus was born.
- Qian, Sima. Records of the Grand Historian, Section: Xiongnu, Section: Wei Qing & Huo Qubing.