22nd AVN Awards
The 22nd AVN Awards ceremony, presented by Adult Video News (AVN), took place January 8, 2005 at the Venetian Hotel Grand Ballroom, at Paradise, Nevada, U.S.A. During the ceremony, AVN presented AVN Awards (commonly referred to as Oscars of porn) in nearly 100 categories honoring the best pornographic films released between Oct. 1, 2003 to Sept. 30, 2004. The ceremony, televised in the United States by Playboy TV, was produced and directed by Gary Miller. Comedian Thea Vidale hosted the show for the first time with adult film star Savanna Samson.
|22nd AVN Awards|
|Date||January 8, 2005|
|Site||The Venetian Las Vegas at Paradise, Nevada, U.S.A.|
|Produced by||Gary Miller|
|Directed by||Gary Miller|
|Best Picture||The Masseuse (Best Film)|
|Most awards||The Masseuse (7)|
|Most nominations||The Collector, The Masseuse (16)|
|Duration||Just over 2 hours|
The Masseuse won the most awards on the night with seven, including Best Film. The Collector won four awards. Other winners included: Bella Loves Jenna, In the Garden of Shadows, 1 Night in Paris and Stuntgirl with three wins apiece.
Winners and nomineesEdit
The nominees for the 22nd AVN Awards were announced on November 12, 2004. The Masseuse and The Collector received the most nominations with 16 each; Misty Beethoven: The Musical was next with 15.
The winners were announced during the awards ceremony on January 8, 2005. Adult film star Jenna Jameson was the year's biggest winner. Besides starring in both Best Film winner The Masseuse and Best Video Feature winner Bella Loves Jenna, she won individual awards for Best Actress–Film, Best All-Girl Sex Scene–Film and Best Couples Sex Scene–Film, all for The Masseuse.
Winners are listed first, highlighted in boldface, and indicated with a double dagger ( ).
|Best Video Feature||Best Film|
|Best Interactive DVD||Best New Starlet|
|Male Performer of the Year||Female Performer of the Year|
|Best Actor—Video||Best Actress—Video|
|Best Actor—Film||Best Actress—Film|
|Best Director—Video||Best Director—Film|
|Best Supporting Actress—Video||Top Selling Title of the Year|
|Top Renting Title of the Year|
|Best All-Sex Release||Best Ethnic-Themed Release—Black|
|Best Gonzo Series||Best Anal Sex Scene|
|Best Couples Sex Scene—Video||Best Couples Sex Scene—Film|
|Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Video||Best Three-Way Sex Scene—Video|
Additional Award WinnersEdit
These awards were announced, but not presented, in two pre-recorded winners-only segments during the event. Trophies were given to the recipients off-stage:
SEX SCENE AWARDS
Honorary AVN AwardsEdit
Reuben Sturman AwardEdit
Hall of FameEdit
Multiple nominations and awardsEdit
The following releases received the most nominations.
|The following 14 releases received multiple awards:
Presenters and performersEdit
The following individuals, listed in order of appearance, presented awards or performed musical numbers or comedy.
|Presenters of the awards for Best Supporting Actress—Video, Best Threeway Sex Scene—Video and Best All-Sex Release|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Couples Sex Scene—Video and Best Gonzo Series|
|Presenters of the awards for Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Video and Best Ethnic-Themed Release—Black|
|Dani Woodward||Presenter of the awards for Top Selling and Top Renting Release of 2004|
|Jimmy Flynt||Presenter of the Reuben Sturman Award|
|Savanna Samson||Introduction of the trophy girls—Keri Sable, Tyra Banxxx and RayVeness|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Couples Sex Scene—FIlm and Male Performer of the Year|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Anal Sex Scene, Best Ethnic-Themed Series and Female Performer of the Year|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Director—Video and Best Director—Film|
|Stormy Daniels||Presenter of the award for Best New Starlet|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Actor—Video and Best Actress—Video|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Interactive DVD and Best Actor—Film|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Actress—Film and Best Film|
Steven St. Croix
|Presenters of the award for Best Video Feature|
and the AVN Orchestra
|Olympic Gardens dancers
Club Sapphire dancers
Déjà Vu dancers
|Performers||Go-go girls, pole dancing|
|Smash Mouth||Performers||Musical number, “All Star”|
|Thea Vidale||Performer||Standup comedy segment|
|Sean Michaels||Performer||Comic video vignette: "Dick Tips"|
|Ron Jeremy||Performer||Comic video vignette: "A True Icon"|
|Performers||Comic video vignette: "Miracle of Nature"|
|Lit||Performers||Musical number, “My Own Worst Enemy”|
|Chingy||Performers||Musical number, “Balla Baby”|
Two new categories were announced for this year's show – Best Interracial Release and Best P.O.V. Release. However, two other categories had insufficient entries to warrant a competition: Best Anal Sex Scene – Film and Adult Video Nudes, the latter for the worst release of the year. With the advent of digital video, emphasis started to shift to shot-on-video awards from shot-on-film awards. For the first time, the final award of the night was the Best Video Feature award, whereas in the past it had been the Best Film award. As well, the award for Best Supporting Actress—Video was moved on-stage into the main body of the awards show while the Best Supporting Actor—Film and Best Supporting Actress—Video awards were moved into the announcements segment with awards given off-stage.
The show was plagued by several glitches and miscues. Among them, the most noticeable one came when [[Sean Michaels (actor)}|Sean Michaels]] announced the winner for Best Actress—Film as being Savanna Samson instead of the correct winner, Jenna Jameson. He and co-presenter Jessica Jaymes tried to correct the error but were drowned out by the orchestra and Samson, who, as co-host, was in the wings changing costumes, ran onstage in a towel to collect the award. When told apologetically by Jaymes of the mistake, in an epic wardrobe malfunction, Samson dropped the towel and exited naked back to the off-stage changing area.
Earlier during the show, when Lit launched into its song, "My Own Worst Enemy", Jeremy Popoff knocked over his amplifier when he started playing and the musical performance was cut short. Lit came on again at the end of the show to redo the song so it would be recorded properly for television.
Performance of year's moviesEdit
London's Men's World magazine gave the show a positive review, calling comedian Thea Vidale "a hilarious host" and adding, "it was clear that the 2005 AVN Awards had been a big hit; it was quicker, slicker and better than previous years." The magazine also noted how well-dressed everyone was for the event, stating, "When the U.S. porn biz does glam, it does it 110 per cent." It concluded, "With music from Smash Mouth and rapper Chingy, it was a good evening, made better by the use of high speed video scrolls to list the many award categories that would bore an audience if they were done live (best packaging?), and little video vignettes including a comedy cracker about Ron Jeremy, which saw him playing the violin while 'factoids' popped up on-screen."
Video reviewer Denny Recob similarly enjoyed the show: "The first thing I noticed about this year's show is the comedian was outstanding. Her jokes were funny and topical and she actually knew the correct porn slang and knew the correct pronunciation of the stars' names. This is a big improvement from previous years."
- "Stiff Competition". MensWorld. Vol. 17 no. 4. London, England.: Paul Raymond Publications Ltd. pp. 55–55. ISSN 0955-5552.
- Miller, Gary (Director) (July 21, 2005). The 2005 AVN Awards Show (DVD). U.S.A.: Devil's Film/AVN Media Network.
- Medoff, Marc (July 2005). "XXX Debauchery in the Desert!". Genesis. No. 100. Paramus, New Jersey, U.S.A.: Genesis Publications, Inc. pp. 34–37. ISSN 1052-8555.
- Reuters (January 9, 2006). "The Oscars of porn". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Digital. Retrieved January 13, 2016.
The 23rd annual Adult Video News (AVN) Awards, the Oscars of porn, boasted a higher attendance than ever this year, with more than 5,000 watching Saturday night's two-hour-long event in a huge ballroom at the ritzy Venetian Hotel.
- "Lighting Up Sin City". Hustler. U.S.A.: Larry Flynt Publications, Inc. July 2006. pp. 77–80.
Think of the AVN Awards as the porn Oscars.
- Grecco, Michael (Director) (2009). Naked Ambition: An R Rated Look at an X Rated Industry (DVD). United States: Phase 4 Films (USA) LLC. 1:52 minutes in.
The finale to the expo is the AVN Awards Show, also known as the Oscars of Porn. The AVN Awards brings together 3,000 performers and producers and has the glitz of Hollywood's Academy Awards.
- Rutter, Jared (March 2005). "Evening Belongs to Jenna as Adult Superstar Jameson Takes Home Top Prizes". Adult Video News. Vol. 21 no. 3. Chatsworth, California, U.S.A.: AVN Publications, Inc. pp. 38–87. ISSN 0883-7090.
- "2005 AVN Awards Nominations". November 14, 2004. Archived from the original on November 14, 2004. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- Martin, Ron (November 12, 2004). "2005 AVN Award Show Nominations Announced". Adult Video News. AVN Media Network. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- Ramone, Mike (September 1, 2005). "The 2005 AVN Awards Show". Adult Video News. AVN Media Network. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- Recob, Den (September 4, 2005). "AVN 2005 Awards Show (Hardcore)". Cyberspace Adult Video Reviews. Den. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- "Special Coverage: AVN Adult Expo & Awards Show 2005". Adam Film World Guide Porn Stars. Vol. 18 no. 6. August 2005. p. 36.
- "2005 AVN Awards: The Best New Starlets in porn!". Live Young Girls. July 2005. p. 18.
- "Predictions for the AVN Awards". Oui magazine. December 2004.
- squirtfan1 (January 9, 2005). "AVN Winners Announced". AdultDVDTalk Forum. AdultDVDTalk. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- "2005 AVN Awards Show Winners Announced". Adult Video News. AVN Media Network. January 8, 2005. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AVN Awards.|
- AVN Awards
- 2005 AVN Award nominees (archived at Wayback Machine, November 11, 2004)
- 2005 AVN Award Winners Wayback Machine, January 27, 2005)
- Adult Video News Awards at the Internet Movie Database
- Adult Video News Awards 2005 (2005 Video) on IMDb
- Adult Video News Awards 2005 at the Internet Adult Film Database
- 2005 AVN Awards at the Adult Film Database