The 2027 Pan American Games, officially the XX Pan American Games, is a forthcoming international multi-sport event scheduled to be held in Barranquilla, Colombia.
|Opening ceremony||July 2|
|Closing ceremony||July 18|
|Officially opened by||President of Colombia|
|Main venue||Estadio Metropolitano Roberto Meléndez|
The bidding process to determine the host of the 2027 Pan American Games was to begin in January 2021. However, in July 2021, president of Panam Sports Neven Ilic confirmed that the bidding process would be postponed until January 2022. The deadline to submit bids for the event is November 15, 2021.
Host city electionEdit
- No vote was held, Barranquilla was appointed as host city.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Buenos Aires initially bid for the 2023 Pan American Games, but withdrew their bid for financial reasons. Gerardo Werthein, the president of the Argentine Olympic Committee (COA), stated, "I would like Argentina to present its Olympic candidacy for 2032, but for now I'm only thinking about [the PanAm Games in] 2027."
- Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia
- On January 14, 2019, the Minister of Sports of Bolivia Tito Montaño expressed his interest for candidacy for the Pan American Games. Although a specific city has not been determined, Montaño stated that a candidate city will be determined within the coming weeks. Bolivia has never submitted a bid for the Games.
- Barranquilla, Colombia
- On October 24, 2018, Mayor of Barranquilla Alejandro Char confirmed Barranquilla's interest in the 2023 Pan American Games. After a successful hosting of the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games, Char was inspired to meet with Panam Sports President Neven Ilić Álvarez. After the meeting, Char told reporters, "After this meeting I’m feeling more calm, confident and sure than ever that we can do it ... We are going to do everything in our power to make the advancements to hold the Games that Barranquilla wants and deserves."
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2017)
Participating National Olympic CommitteesEdit
All 41 nations who are members of the Pan American Sports Organization are expected to compete.
- "Race for 2027 Pan American Games Postponed". Around the Rings. July 12, 2021. Retrieved August 7, 2021.
- Morgan, Liam (August 8, 2021). "Barranquilla confirmed as host of 2027 Pan American Games". Inside the Games. Dunsar Media. Retrieved August 27, 2021.
- "Buenos Aires drops out of running for 2023 PanAm Games". Reuters. April 21, 2017. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- "Bolivia presents candidacy for Pan American Games 2027". Emisora Provincial Radio Guamá. January 14, 2019. Archived from the original on January 23, 2019. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- "Bolivia declare interest in bidding for 2027 Pan American Games". Inside the games. May 3, 2019. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "Barranquilla Wants the 2027 Pan American Games". PanamSports. October 24, 2018. Retrieved January 22, 2019.