2026 Commonwealth Games
The 2026 Commonwealth Games, officially known as the XXIII Commonwealth Games, will be held in 2026 for members of the Commonwealth.
- Olympic Council of Malaysia President Tunku Imran has revealed the Commonwealth Games Federation's (CGF) inspection visit of Kuala Lumpur is as much about assessing the city's capability for hosting the 2026 event as 2022. Imran suggested that Kuala Lumpur would be willing to wait to enter the race for the 2026 event instead of staging it in 2022. The city staged the 1998 Commonwealth Games as well as the 2001 and the 2017 Southeast Asian Games.
- Edmonton is Canada's fifth-largest city and the second-largest city in as well as the capital of the Province of Alberta. It is home to a number of professional sports associations (most notably the Edmonton Eskimos (CFL) football team and Edmonton Oilers (NHL) ice hockey team. The 1978 Commonwealth Games, the 1983 Summer Universiade and the 2001 World Championships in Athletics were all held in Edmonton, and the city has also hosted some matches of the 2006 Women's Rugby World Cup, the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup, the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup and the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. There are plans to build a new velodrome to replace the aging Argyll Velodrome. The aging Northlands Coliseum was replaced as the city's main indoor venue by the new Rogers Place in 2016, although the older arena remains open. On February 11, 2015, Edmonton announced it was withdrawing its bid to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, citing financial reasons and a global fall in oil prices. The bid team will instead focus on the 2026 event.
- The events arm of Auckland Council has raised the possibility of a bid to host the Commonwealth Games, possibly as early as 2026. Key figures have backed the idea, saying New Zealand needs to take its turn at hosting the Games, which were last held in this country in 1990 in Auckland. Auckland also hosted the 2017 World Master Games. World Masters Games chief executive Jennah Wootten also expressed her hope that New Zealand will investigate the possibility of staging the 2026 Commonwealth Games.
- Raf Manji is promising in part of his election campaign to bring the games back to Christchurch if he gets elected. This would make for the second time Christchurch has hosted the games last in 1974. After this announcement there has been great public support saying would be great to show off our good looking city after the 2011 earthquakes which destroyed half the city. Since then new sports facilities have built or have been built across the city. There would also be a new stadium built as AMI stadium which was damaged beyond repair from the earthquakes.
Cancelled potential bidsEdit
- Liverpool was planning to bid for the 2026 games, but only if funding is available from the UK Government. Mayor Joe Anderson argued that Liverpool could use the Games as ‘a catalyst for regeneration’ across the city region if successful. Anderson has also suggested that a proposed new Everton stadium could play a key part in a Commonwealth Games bid. Liverpool put in a bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games but lost out to Birmingham, and now that Birmingham has been confirmed as host for 2022, the next Games after that will clearly not be held in England.
- Birmingham was planning to bid for the 2026 games. City MPs, sports stars including Olympic medallists Mark Lewis-Francis and Katharine Merry, and former Prime Minister David Cameron expressed support for the Birmingham bid. The Alexander Stadium, Villa Park, Edgbaston and the Barclaycard Arena were to be the bidding venues. Birmingham successfully bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Cardiff was previously interested in bidding for the 2022 games, with some events to be held in Newport and Swansea, however Cardiff City Council announced they are instead in discussions for a bid for the 2026 games. On 26 July 2016 it was announced that Cardiff will not look to host the Commonwealth Games in 2026. Media reports stated this was due to the uncertain situation regarding Brexit and funding concerns. It was announced on 27 May 2017 that the Welsh Government were in "discussions", and considering a joint bid with Birmingham or Liverpool to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, following Durban's rights to host the event being stripped due to financial difficulty. Wales mainly sought to host outdoor events such as the Triathlon, Rowing or cycling's road race in the 2022 games. A Welsh post 2030 bid is also a possibility.
- "CGF inspection visit to Malaysia could lead to Kuala Lumpur bid for 2026 Commonwealth Games". 31 May 2017. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- Exclusive: Canada planning to bid for 2022 Commonwealth Games
- Tuesday Talk – Edmonton Eyes 2022 Commonwealth Games
- "Edmonton ends Commonwealth Games bid". BBC. Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- "Auckland bid for 2026 Comm Games?". Stuff. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- "World Masters Games sets foundation for future Commonwealth Games says organiser". New Zealand Herald. 2017-04-30. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "World Masters Games success should lead to New Zealand Commonwealth Games bid, chief executive claims". 2017-05-01. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- "Christchurch should host 2026 Games: Manji - 28-Jul-2017 - NZ National news". home.nzcity.co.nz. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- "2022 FIFA World Cup to be played in November/December" (Press release). FIFA. 20 March 2015.
- Murphy, Liam (2016-04-13). "Liverpool to bid for 2026 Commonwealth Games". liverpoolecho. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- "New Everton stadium may hold key in 2026 Commonwealth Games bid". Mail Online. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- Brown, Graeme (2016-07-12). "Athletics star: A Brum Commonwealth Games would be "no problems"". Retrieved 2016-07-15.
- Walker, Jonathan (2016-05-14). "David Cameron urges Birmingham to "be ambitious" over Commonwealth Games bid". Retrieved 2016-07-15.
- Sport, Telegraph (2017-12-21). "Birmingham named 2022 Commonwealth Games host city". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- Law, Peter (15 February 2013). "Cardiff to bid for 2026 Commonwealth Games, say council bosses". Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- Exclusive: Cardiff will not alter plans to bid for 2026 Commonwealth Games because of London, they claim
- BBC.co.uk (22 January 2014). "Cardiff unlikely to bring Commonwealth Games bid forward". BBC News. Retrieved 22 December 2017.