2019 Pennsylvania's 12th congressional district special election
A special election was held on May 21, 2019, to fill the remainder of the term for Pennsylvania's 12th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives for the 116th United States Congress. Tom Marino, a Republican, resigned from office effective January 23.
Pennsylvania's 12th congressional district
Republican Tom Marino, the incumbent representative for Pennsylvania's 12th congressional district, announced his resignation effective January 23, 2019. By state law, Governor Tom Wolf was required to call for a special election at least 60 days after the seat became vacant. Wolf set the election for May 21. Primary elections were not held in the race. Instead, nominees were chosen by each party. Republicans selected their nominee on March 2.
Republican conferee meetingEdit
Defeated at the conventionEdit
- Jessica Bowman-Hosley, professor
- Malcolm Derk, former Snyder County commissioner
- Kevin Ferrara, veteran
- Stacy Garrity, businesswoman
- Davis C. Haire, doctor
- Chris Hoffman, vice president of the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau
- Matthew McDermott
- Doug McLinko, Bradford County commissioner and candidate for Pennsylvania's 12th congressional district in 2018
- Patrick Miller, law student
- Maria Montero
- Joseph Moralez, vice president of a statewide nursing agency
- Robert Noerr, former National Debate Tournament qualifier
- Joseph Peters, former state deputy attorney general and candidate for Pennsylvania's 8th congressional district in 2018
- Christopher Bain
- James Canning, businessman and constable
- Gerald Carlin, businessman
- Brian Fuller, activist
- Bobby Jeffries
- Dale McElhattan
- Chuck Risio
- Matthew Timm
- Jeff Wheeland, state representative
- Matthew Zeigler, lawyer
Declined to runEdit
- Lou Barletta, former U.S. Representative and nominee for U.S. Senate in 2018
- Jake Corman, majority leader of the Pennsylvania State Senate
- Keith Eckel, former president of the State Farm Bureau
- Jonathan Fritz, state representative
- Davis C. Haire
- Sandra Major, former state representative
- Tony Mussare, Lycoming County commissioner
- Michael Peifer, state representative
- Mario Scavello, state senator
- Jeff Stroehmann, businessman
- Dave Weber, district director for outgoing U.S. Representative Tom Marino
- Eugene Yaw, state senator
According to the Pennsylvania Democratic Party, Marc Friedenberg, the Democratic nominee for the district in 2018, was the only individual who submitted an application to be the nominee. Therefore, the convention was cancelled, and the party declared Friedenberg the nominee on February 12.
|Fred Keller (R)|
|Marc Friedenberg (D)|
|Campaign finance reports as of June 30, 2019|
|Candidate (party)||Total receipts||Total disbursements||Cash on hand|
|Fred Keller (R)||$662,214.65||$521,614.93||$140,599.72|
|Marc Friedenberg (D)||$209,045.81||$230,037.21||$81,108.15|
|Source: Federal Election Commission|
- Levy, Marc (November 6, 2018). "Democrats, 4 of them women, win House seats in Pennsylvania". Associated Press. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Oprysko, Caitlin; Motellaro, Zach (January 17, 2019). "Pennsylvania GOP Rep. Tom Marino to retire this month". Politico. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Tom Wolf [@GovernorTomWolf] (January 24, 2019). "Having heard the concerns of county officials, I am scheduling the special election to fill the remainder of Congressman Marino's term on May 21, 2019 to coincide with the primary election" (Tweet). Retrieved January 24, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Paez, Sarah. "Congressman Tom Marino resigns, leaving vacancy in Pa.'s 12th district | Centre Daily Times". Centredaily.com. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Krawczeniuk, Borys (February 19, 2019). "Dozens eyeing Marino's vacant U.S. House seat". The Citizens' Voice. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- Krawczeniuk, Borys (January 25, 2019). "List grows for those seeking Marino seat". citizensvoice.com. Retrieved March 7, 2019.
- Levy, Marc (March 2, 2019). "GOP state lawmaker becomes favorite in House race to succeed Marino". Center Daily Times. Associated Press. Retrieved March 7, 2019.
- "Former Commissioner Malcolm Derk is running for US Congress". WKOK. February 17, 2019. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- Cole, John (February 12, 2019). "PA12: Stacy Garrity Announces Bid for GOP Primary". PoliticsPA. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Dandes, Rick. "Candidates step forward to replace Marino in U.S. Congress | Election 2019". dailyitem.com. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Candidates line up to replace U.S. Rep. Tom Marino". pennlive.com. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "Election season is fast approaching. Who's running to represent Centre County?". centredaily. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Dandes, Rick. "Candidates step forward to replace Marino in U.S. Congress | Election 2019". dailyitem.com. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- Barletta, Lou [@louforsenate] (February 1, 2019). "I am humbled by the number of you who have reached out to me. However, at this time, I am enjoying spending time with my family and preparing for the next chapter of my career. I look forward to helping elect the GOP candidate chosen by the conferees.(2/2)" (Tweet). Retrieved February 2, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Marino Resignation Expected to Spark GOP Candidate Rush". National Journal. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- email@example.com, Rick Dandes rdandes@dailyitem com and Francis Scarcella. "Furious scramble to find replacement candidates in 12th District expected". The Daily Item. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- Gizzi, John (January 20, 2019). "Just What GOP Doesn't Need, Another Special Election in Pa". Newsmax. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- TaylorLightman (January 17, 2019). "Repub on the shortlist to replace Marino in #PA12: @senatorscavello @DougMclinko Rep. Fred Keller". @taylormlightman. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- "Pennsylvania Democratic Party Announces Candidate For Special Election In The 12th Congressional District - Pennsylvania Democratic PartyPennsylvania Democratic Party". Padems.com. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Donald J. Trump. "Fred Keller of the Great State of Pennsylvania has been an outstanding State Rep. Now he is running as the Republican Nominee for Congress, and has my Complete and Total Endorsement. Strong on Crime, Second Amendment, Military, Vets, and Healthcare. He will do a fantastic job!". Twitter.
- Danneker, Derek (March 2, 2019). "Keller lands GOP nomination". Williamsport Sun-Gazette. Retrieved March 29, 2019.
- Guy Reschenthaler (March 3, 2019). "Congrats to @VoteFredKeller for winning the #PA12 Republican Nomination! I am looking forward to serving with you in Congress". Twitter.com. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Fred Keller (April 18, 2019). "Grateful for @RepLouBarletta's service to our community and for his help and support in my campaign for Congress. One of the all time good guys!". Twitter.com. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "Snyder County Commissioner Chair Kantz, Sheriff Zechman Recommend Keller". Fred Keller for Congress. February 21, 2019.
- "Union Co. Chair Boop, Snyder Co. Vice Chairman Knepp Praise Fred Keller". Fred Keller for Congress. February 24, 2019.
- "ACU Endorses Fred Keller". American Conservative Union.
- Eyewitness News (May 2, 2019). "U.S. Chamber of Commerce Endorses Keller". PAHomePage.com.
- "Leading Pro-Life Groups Endorse Fred Keller for Congress". Fred Keller for Congress. April 15, 2019.
- "NFIB Endorses Fred Keller in PA-12 Special Election". NFIB. April 4, 2019.
- "NRA-PVF Endorses Fred Keller for U.S. House". NFIB. April 8, 2019.
- "U.S. Chamber Endorses Fred Keller". Fred Keller for Congress. May 2, 2019.
- Fred Keller [@VoteFredKeller] (May 1, 2019). "Proud to be endorsed by the Fraternal Order of Police Bald Eagle Lodge 51 in Centre County. Our law enforcement make sacrifices every day to keep us safe. I'll always have their backs. #PA12 #May21" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Susan B. Anthony List (May 14, 2019). "You can bet the guy who wore this pin every day to work and who has a 100 #ProLife voting record will stand up for those tiny little unborn babies when he gets to Congress! @VoteFredKeller #PA12". Twitter.com. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Hirsch, Jack (April 28, 2019). "Senator Bob Casey, other Pennsylvania Democratic candidates rally at Penn State". Daily Collegian. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "Endorsements". Marc Friedenberg For Congress. March 27, 2019.
- @MarcForPA (May 17, 2019). "I'm proud to be endorsed by Secretary Reich! The best way to improve our economy is by strengthening the middle class and creating more protections for working families, not with tax cuts to the ultra-rich, that take away our hard-earned benefits.www.youtube.com/watch?v=51MJjaHtv6M … #PA12" (Tweet). Retrieved May 17, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Lieutenant Governor John Fetterman Endorses Marc Friedenberg for PA-12". Marc Friedenberg for Congress. April 16, 2019.
- "Pennsylvania AFL-CIO Candidate Endorsements".
- ""Endorsement" Endorsement of Marc Friedenberg & "Why can't we be "loyal" to two nations at once?"". secure.campaigner.com. Democratic Jewish Outreach Pennsylvania. March 26, 2019.
- "Progressive Democrats of America Endorses Marc Friedenberg for Congress". Progressive Democrats of America - PDA. March 31, 2019.
- "2019 Endorsements". Sierra Club. March 28, 2019.
- "FEC". Archived from the original on June 30, 2019.
- "2019 Special Election 12th Congressional District". Pennsylvania Department of State. May 21, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019.