1 Corinthians 5
1 Corinthians 5 is the fifth chapter of the First Epistle to the Corinthians in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It is authored by Paul the Apostle and Sosthenes in Ephesus. In this short chapter, Paul deals with an issue of sexual immorality in the Corinthian church.
|1 Corinthians 5|
1 Corinthians 7:33–8:4 in Papyrus 15, written in the 3rd century.
|Book||First Epistle to the Corinthians|
|Christian Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Christian part||7|
Some early manuscripts containing the text of this chapter are:
Sexual immorality and exclusionEdit
"The censure of the party-divisions [addressed in the previous chapters] is concluded", and Paul moves on without transition to a "widely"  or "universally"  reported issue of a member of the Corinthian church living with his father's wife and the church failing to remove this man from their fellowship. Paul criticises the church for its arrogance in not taking action, which might have been due to the factional nature of the church or to a false understanding of Christian liberty.
- Your glorying is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?
Paul's previous letterEdit
Verse 9 refers to an earlier letter written by Paul to the Corinthians, sometimes called the "warning letter" or the "pre-canonical letter". Paraphrase versions like J. B. Philips' translation and the New Testament for Everyone explicitly call this a "previous" letter, supplying a word which is not in the original text. The previous letter had warned members of the church not to associate with people living immoral lives.
- But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.”
Cross references: Deuteronomy 17:7; 19:19; 22:21, 24; 24:7
- Meyer's NT Commentary on 1 Corinthians 5, accessed 24 March 2017
- 1 Corinthians 5:1 – Holman Christian Standard Bible
- 1 Corinthians 5:1 – Darby Translation
- 1 Corinthians 5:2 – New Living Translation
- Matthew Henry's Commentary on 1 Corinthians 5, accessed 24 March 2017
- 1 Corinthians 5:6 NKJV
- Neve Shalom apud Caphtor, fol. 41. 1.
- John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible, – 1 Corinthians 5:6
- Jerusalem Bible, note e at 1 Cor. 5:9
- 1 Corinthians 5:9; 1 Corinthians 5:9
- 1 Corinthians 5:13