Jerome Murphy-O'Connor, O.P. (born 10 April 1935, Cork City, Ireland – died 11 November 2013, Jerusalem) was a Dominican priest, a leading authority on St. Paul and Professor of New Testament at the École Biblique in Jerusalem, a position that he held from 1967 until his death.
He was born James Murphy-O'Connor in 1935 to Kerry and Mary (née McCrohan) Murphy-O'Connor, the eldest of four siblings. A cousin is Cormac Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor, the 10th Archbishop of Westminster. Murphy-O'Connor attended the Christian Brothers College, Cork, and later the Vincentian Castleknock College in Dublin, where he decided to become a Dominican priest. He entered the Dominican novitiate in Cork in September 1953, giving up his baptismal to take a new name in religion, "Jerome". After the novitiate he studied philosophy for a year before studying at The Priory Institute in Tallaght and at the University of Fribourg in Switzerland. He was ordained as a priest in July 1960. In Fribourg his first serious study as a lecturer was on the theme of preaching in Saint Paul, which was later developed into a doctoral thesis.
He received his doctorate in 1962. In 1963 he studied in Rome, and researched the Dead Sea Scrolls at the University of Heidelberg, and New Testament theology at the University of Tübingen. From there he went to Jerusalem to the École Biblique, which was to become his religious, scholarly and personal home for the next forty years. The École Biblique, founded in 1890 by French Dominican scholars, is an internationally renowned centre for Biblical studies and Biblical archaeology. He remained there for the rest of his life, having been appointed Professor of New Testament in 1967. He received honorary degrees in the US and Australia, but particularly treasured the doctorate of literature conferred in 2002 by the National University of Ireland in University College Cork.
Oxford University Press invited him to write an archaeological guide to the Holy Land which was published in 1980. This was translated into several languages with a revised edition in 1986, and has become the standard guide-book. Murphy-O'Connor lectured around the world and made numerous television appearances, including in Le Mystère Paul (2000), Jesus: The Complete Story (2001), The Search for John the Baptist (2005), The Lost Tomb of Jesus (2007), Christianity: A History for Channel 4 (2009) and "David Suchet: In the Footsteps of St Paul (TV documentary, 2012)".
- Murphy-O'Connor, Jerome (1964). Paul on Preaching. Stag books. New York: Sheed and Ward. OCLC 3062409.
- ——— (1968). Colossians. Milwaukee, WI: Bruce Pub. Co. OCLC 612622077.
- ——— (1968). Paul and Qumran: Studies in New Testament Exegesis. Chicago, IL: Priory Press. OCLC 729301519.
- ———; Bright, Laurence; Wansbrough, Henry (1971). Paul (volume1). Scripture discussion commentary. 10. London :: Sheed & Ward. ISBN 9780722072080. OCLC 464121419.
- ———; Bright, Laurence; Wansbrough, Henry (1972). Paul (volume 2). Scripture discussion commentary. 11. London :: Sheed & Ward. ISBN 9780722006719. OCLC 464121419.
- ——— (1977). Becoming Human Together: The Pastoral Anthropology of St. Paul. Wilmington, DE: M. Glazier. ISBN 9780894530753. OCLC 3878475.
- ——— (1979). 1 Corinthians. New Testament Message. 10. Wilmington, DE: M. Glazier. ISBN 9780894531330. OCLC 6021441.
- ——— (1980). The Holy Land: An Oxford Archaeological Guide from Earliest Times to 1700. Oxford archaeological guides. Oxford & New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780192850881. OCLC 908913441.
- ———; Charlesworth, James H.; Benoit, Pierre (1990). Paul and the Dead Sea Scrolls. Christian origins library. New York: Crossroad Publishing Company. ISBN 9780824510008. OCLC 20796622.
- ———; Dunn, James D. G. (1991). The Theology of the Second Letter to the Corinthians. New Testament theology. Cambridge & New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521353793. OCLC 22111724.
- ——— (1995). Paul the Letter-Writer: His World, His Options, His Skills. Good news studies. 41. Collegeville, MI: Liturgical Press. ISBN 9780814658451. OCLC 30436613.
- ——— (1997). Paul: A Critical Life. Oxford & New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780192853424. OCLC 757402100.
- ——— (2002). St. Paul's Corinth: Texts and Archaeology. Good news studies. 6. Collegeville, MI: Liturgical Press. ISBN 9780814653036. OCLC 50243118.
- ——— (2004). Paul: His Story. Oxford & New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199266531. OCLC 54930368.
- ——— (2007). Jesus and Paul: Parallel Lives. Collegeville, MI: Liturgical Press. ISBN 9780814651735. OCLC 71552200.
- Booth, Philip. "Church mourns renowned Bible scholar Fr Jerome Murphy-O'Connor". CatholicHerald.co.uk. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- BBC News website 21 February 2001
- Introductory address given 10 May 2002 when conferring an honorary doctorate in Literature to Father Murphy-O'Connor
- The Irish Times, Sat. November 16, 2013 http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/cork-born-priest-with-international-reputation-in-biblical-scholarship-1.1596405
- Murphy-O'Connor on the Internet Movie Database
- Jerome Murphy-O'Connor (II): IMDb profile