Yung Suk Kim
Yung Suk Kim is a Korean-American biblical scholar and author. Kim is Associate Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity at the Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology, Virginia Union University in Richmond. He studied in Korean and American schools. Kim holds the following degrees: a PhD degree in the area of New Testament studies from Vanderbilt University (2006), an M.Div from McCormick Theological Seminary (1999), and a B.A from Kyungpook National University (1985). Kim is editor of a new online peer-reviewed journal, Journal of Bible and Human Transformation in which intersections of the Bible and human transformation are explored.
Yung Suk Kim
Daegu, South Korea
|Occupation||Biblical scholar and author|
|Education||Kyungpook National University, McCormick Theological Seminary|
|Alma mater||Vanderbilt University (PhD)|
|Institutions||Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology Virginia Union University|
Kim grew up in a farming village in Kyungsan, Kyungbuk of South Korea. He finished elementary school, middle school and high school in his hometown. Kim majored at economics at Kyungpook National University. Kim had a mandatory military service as a member of the KATUSA at a U.S military base in Korea. After graduation from college, Kim worked at the LG Electronics headquarter and in foreign branches such as in Panama (Republic of Panama) and Miami, FL. He went to Chicago to attend for an M.Div degree. Kim focused on Paul's letters in his doctoral work and defended his dissertation titled SOMA CHRISTOU: DE(RE)CONSTRUCTION in 2006. Since then, he has focus on various subjects in the New Testament study, including the historical Jesus, New Testament theology, and biblical interpretation theory. Transformation or human transformation in particular is one important theme that he has explored in his study of the New Testament.
- Kim, Yung Suk (2008). Christ’s Body in Corinth: The Politics of a Metaphor. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress. ISBN 978-0-800-66285-1. OCLC 214064342.
- ——— (2011). A Theological Introduction to Paul's Letters: Exploring a Threefold Theology of Paul. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books. ISBN 978-1-608-99793-0. OCLC 741342428.
- ——— (2013). Biblical Interpretation: Theory, Process, and Criteria. Eugene, OR: Pickwick. ISBN 978-1-610-97646-6. OCLC 827258714.
- ——— (2013). A Transformative Reading of the Bible: Explorations of Holistic Human Transformation. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books. ISBN 978-1-620-32221-5. OCLC 844786943.
- ——— (2014). Truth, Testimony, and Transformation: A New Reading of the "I Am" Sayings of Jesus in the Fourth Gospel. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books. ISBN 978-1-620-32222-2. OCLC 892344712.
- ——— (2014). Question Mark to the Bible, Sŏngsŏ e tŏnjinŭn murŭmp'yo: munhwa pip'yŏngjŏk Sŏngsŏ haesŏk kwa onŭl (Korean ed.). Seoul, Korea: DongYun. ISBN 978-8-964-47259-0. OCLC 946050635.
- ——— (2015). Resurrecting Jesus: The Renewal of New Testament Theology. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books. ISBN 978-1-498-21834-4. OCLC 918874341.
- ——— (2016). Messiah in Weakness: A Portrait of Jesus from the Perspective of the Dispossessed. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books. ISBN 978-1-4982-1745-3. OCLC 951927314.
- ———; Smith, Mitzi (2018). Toward Decentering the New Testament: A Reintroduction. Eugene, OR: Cascade. ISBN 9781532604652. OCLC 1056195506.
- ——— (2018). Reading Jesus' Parables with Dao De Jing: Appendix: A Translation of the Dao De Jing. Eugene, OR: Resource Publications. ISBN 9781532654916. OCLC 1056197715.
- ——— (2018). Jesus's Truth: Life in Parables. Eugene, OR: Resource Publications. ISBN 9781532643972. OCLC 1018459203.
- ——— (2019). Reimagining the Body of Christ in Paul's Letters: In View of Paul's Gospel. Eugene, OR: Resource Publications. ISBN 9781532677762. OCLC 1102799939.
- ——— (2019). Preaching the New Testament Again: Faith, Freedom, and Transformation. Eugene, OR: Cascade. ISBN 9781532652509. OCLC 1086334297.
- ——— (2019). Rereading Romans from the Perspective of Paul's Gospel: A Literary and Theological Commentary. Eugene, OR: Resource Publications. ISBN 9781532693090.
- ———; Kim, Jin-Ho, eds. (2013). Reading Minjung theology in the twenty-first century : selected writings by Ahn Byung-Mu and modern critical responses. Eugene, OR: Pickwick. ISBN 978-1-610-97817-0. OCLC 858964624.
- ———, ed. (2013). 1 and 2 Corinthians. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress. ISBN 978-0-800-69935-2. OCLC 798615966.