1993 in archaeology
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
- Start of salvage excavations at Nevali Cori, to be flooded by dam.
- March – British warship HMS Agamemnon (1781) (wrecked 1809) found at the mouth of the Río de la Plata.
- July – Fragment A of the Tel Dan Stele (9th–8th century BCE) is excavated in Israel.
- October 1 – Steamer Brother Jonathan (wrecked 1865) found off the coast of California.
- Portuguese nau Nossa Senhora dos Mártires (1605–06) found at the mouth of the Tagus.
- Rhinoceros horn spear end from 30,000 years BP found in Yana River delta, at the Yana Rhinoceros Horn Site.
- The Guodian Chu Slips, including the oldest known version of Laozi's Tao Te Ching and the previously lost Xing Zi Ming Chu, written on bamboo, are found in a tomb near Guodian, Jingmen (Hubei province of China) and dated before 300 BCE (later Warring States period).
- In Patara the Stadiasmus Patarensis is unearthed. The monumental milestone provides information on the Roman road network in the province of Lycia et Pamphylia, giving place names and distances.
- Remains of Homo heidelbergensis found at Eartham Pit, Boxgrove, England.
- Barry Cunliffe – Wessex to AD 1000 (Longman).
- Sarah Milledge Nelson – The Archaeology of Korea (Cambridge University Press).
- Х. Тодорова, Иван Вайсов (H. Todorova, Ivan Vaisov) – "Новокаменната епоха в България" ("The Neolithic period in Bulgaria") (Издателство Наука и Изкуство (Science and Art Publishing House), Sofia).
- Conservators use a sonar probe mounted with two miniature video cameras to remove any remaining clay from inside the Riace bronzes.
- Nasti, Atilio (2001). "HMS Agamemnon" (PDF). Retrieved 2021-02-21. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "From Israeli Site, News of House of David". The New York Times. 1993-06-08. Retrieved 2017-05-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Laozi". Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Stanford University.
- "The evolution of man". Science & Nature. BBC. Retrieved 2018-01-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Aracheology: Boxgrove Man reveals his Stone Age-old secrets". The Independent. London. 1994-06-22. Retrieved 2018-01-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)