1865 in archaeology
The year 1865 in archaeology involved some significant events.
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
- Joseph Barnard Davis and John Thurnam complete publication of Crania Britannica: delineations and descriptions of the skulls of the aboriginal and early inhabitants of the British islands.
- John Lubbock publishes Pre-historic Times, as Illustrated by Ancient Remains, and the Manners and Customs of Modern Savages, including his coinage of the term Palæolithic.
- Joseph-Alexander Martigny publishes Dictionnaire des antiquités chrétiennes.
- Edward Burnett Tylor publishes Researches into the Early History of Mankind and the Development of Civilization.
- "Palaeolithic, adj. and n.". Oxford English Dictionary online version (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. December 2011. Archived from the original on 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2012-02-24. (subscription or participating institution membership required)
- "The History of the PEF". pef.org.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "James Henry Breasted". britannica.com. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "Foucher, A. (Alfred) 1865-1952". worldcat.org. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- Edwards, Edward (17 June 2010). Lives of the Founders of the British Museum: With Notices of Its Chief Augmentors and Other Benefactors, 1570-1870. Cambridge University Press. p. 43. ISBN 9781108014953.