Events from the year 1845 in art.
- February 7 – At the British Museum in London, a drunken visitor smashes the Portland Vase which takes months to repair. It has since been reconstructed three times.
- March – Honoré Daumier begins publishing the series of drawings Les Gens de justice ("The Men of Justice") in the satirical Paris magazine Le Charivari.
- Heinrich Hoffmann anonymously publishes Lustige Geschichten und drollige Bilder mit 15 schön kolorierten Tafeln für Kinder von 3–6 Jahren ("Funny Stories and Whimsical Pictures with 15 Beautifully Coloured Panels for Children Aged 3 to 6", later known as Struwwelpeter) in Germany.
- Brita Sofia Hesselius opens a photography studio in Karlstad, making her the first known Swedish female professional photographer.
- January 4 – Léopold Boilly, French painter (born 1761)
- January 5 – Robert Smirke, English painter (born 1753)
- January 21 – Samuel Colman, English painter (born 1780)
- April 20 – Thomas Phillips, English portrait and subject painter (born 1770)
- May 15 – Kapiton Zelentsov, Russian painter notable for his illustrations for books (born 1790)
- July 29 – François Joseph Bosio, French sculptor (born 1769)
- September 29 – John Scarlett Davis, English painter (born 1804)
- October 30 – Nicolas Toussaint Charlet, French designer and painter, especially of military subjects (born 1792)
- November 24 – Karl Wilhelm Wach, German painter (born 1787)
- date unknown
- probable – Thomas Douglas Guest, British portrait painter (born 1781)