This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017)
- July 13 – John Ruggles is granted United States patent No. 1, for applying rack railway equipment to the "Locomotive steam-engine for rail and other roads".
- August 31 – Edwin Budding is granted a United Kingdom patent for the lawnmower.
- Aeneas Coffey is granted a United Kingdom patent for an improved column still.
- Eaton Hodgkinson publishes his pioneering paper on the optimum cross section for cast iron structural beams.
- Stephen H. Long designs the Long truss wooden bridge.
- March 5 – Étienne-Jules Marey (died 1904), French physiologist.
- March 5 – Charles Wyville Thomson (died 1882), Scottish marine biologist.
- April 21 – Clémence Royer (died 1902), French anthropologist.
- May 10 – François-Marie Raoult (died 1901), French chemist.
- May 11 (April 29 O.S.) – Emanoil Bacaloglu (died 1891), Romanian polymath.
- August 19 – Lothar Meyer (died 1895), German chemist.
- October 24 – Marianne North (died 1890), English botanist.
- November 20 – Sigismond Jaccoud (died 1913), Swiss physician.
- March 2 – Samuel Thomas von Sömmerring (born 1755), German physician, anatomist, paleontologist and inventor.
- March 29 – James Rennell (born 1742), English cartographer and oceanographer.
- May 16 – Joseph Fourier (born 1768), French mathematician.
- August 24 – Louis Jean Pierre Vieillot (born 1748), French ornithologist.
- Clelia Durazzo Grimaldi (born 1760), Italian botanist.
- Heine, Bernhard (1834-09-27). Wakley, Thomas (ed.). "New Instrument Called the Osteotome Designed for the Ablation of Bones". The Lancet. London. 1: 127–133.
- Schullian, Dorothy M.; Seufert, Wolf D. (1980). "The Chain Osteotome by Heine". Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences. XXXV (4): 454–459.
- Peltier, Leonard F. (1993). Orthopedics: History and Iconography. Norman Publishing. pp. 37–. ISBN 9780930405472. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Tillmanns, Hermann (1895). The principles of surgery and surgical pathology: general rules governing operations and the application of dressings. D. Appleton & Company. pp. 84–. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- "Theoretical and Experimental Researches to Ascertain the strength and best forms of Iron beams". Memoirs of the Manchester Literary and Philosophical Society 2nd ser. 5:407-544.
- "Copley Medal | British scientific award". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 22 July 2020.