17th Academy Awards
The 17th Academy Awards marked the first time the complete awards ceremony was broadcast nationally, on the Blue Network (ABC Radio). Bob Hope hosted the 70-minute broadcast, which included film clips that required explanation for the radio audience. This tradition ended abruptly after the 1948 ceremony as a result of the Paramount antitrust decrees, only to return gradually since the late 1960s.
|17th Academy Awards|
|Date||March 15, 1945|
|Site||Grauman’s Chinese Theater, Hollywood, California|
|Hosted by||John Cromwell|
Bob Hope
|Best Picture||Going My Way|
|Most awards||Going My Way (7)|
|Most nominations||Going My Way and Wilson (10)|
This is the first year that the Best Picture category was limited to five pictures. This was also the first and only time an individual was nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for playing the same role in the same film: Barry Fitzgerald for the character of Father Fitzgibbon in Going My Way. He won for Best Supporting Actor.
Winners are listed first and highlighted in boldface.
Academy Honorary AwardEdit
- Bob Hope "for his many services to the Academy."
Academy Juvenile AwardEdit
Irving G. Thalberg Memorial AwardEdit
- Hugo Butler (Presenter: Writing Awards)
- Charles Coburn (Presenter: Best Supporting Actor)
- John Cromwell (Presenter: Documentary Awards, Short Subject Awards, the Scientific & Technical Awards, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Recording, Best Art Direction, and Best Special Effects)
- Barry Fitzgerald (Presenter: Best Actor)
- Bob Hope (Presenter: Best Cinematography and Best Original Song)
- Jennifer Jones (Presenter: Best Actress)
- Mervyn LeRoy (Presenter: Best Director)
- Norma Shearer (Presenter: Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award)
- Hal B. Wallis (Presenter: Best Picture)
- Walter Wanger (Presenter: Honorary Award to Bob Hope)
- Teresa Wright (Presenter: Best Supporting Actress)
Multiple nominations and awardsEdit
These films had multiple nominations:
The following films received multiple awards.
- Dunning, John (1998). On the Air: The Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 5. ISBN 978-0-19-507678-3.
- "The 17th Academy Awards (1945) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-14.