This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Year 1466 (MCDLXVI) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. It is one of eight years (CE) to contain each Roman numeral once (1000(M)+(-100(C)+500(D))+50(L)+10(X)+5(V)+1(I) = 1466).
|Ab urbe condita||2219|
|Balinese saka calendar||1387–1388|
|English Regnal year||5 Edw. 4 – 6 Edw. 4|
|Chinese calendar||乙酉年 (Wood Rooster)|
4162 or 4102
— to —
丙戌年 (Fire Dog)
4163 or 4103
|- Vikram Samvat||1522–1523|
|- Shaka Samvat||1387–1388|
|- Kali Yuga||4566–4567|
|Japanese calendar||Kanshō 7 / Bunshō 1|
|Minguo calendar||446 before ROC|
|Thai solar calendar||2008–2009|
1592 or 1211 or 439
— to —
1593 or 1212 or 440
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1466.|
- The Chimú Empire is conquered by troops of the Inca.
- The Mentelin Bible, the first printed German language Bible, is produced.
- Louis XI of France introduces silk weaving to Lyon.
- The Kingdom of Georgia collapses into anarchy, and fragments into rival states of Kartli, Kakheti, Imereti, Samtskhe-Saatabago and a number of principalities; this breakup is finalised in 1490, when Constantine II of Georgia has to recognize his rival monarchies.
- The second largest bell of St. Peter's Church in Fritzlar is founded, by Meister Goswin aus Fritzlar.
- February 11 – Elizabeth of York, queen of Henry VII of England (d. 1503)
- May 22 – Marino Sanuto the Younger, Italian historian (d. 1536)
- June 18 – Ottaviano Petrucci, Italian music printer (d. 1539)
- July 5 – Giovanni Sforza, Italian noble (d. 1510)
- August 10 – Francesco II Gonzaga, Marquess of Mantua (d. 1519)
- September 9 – Ashikaga Yoshitane, Japanese shōgun (d. 1523)
- October 28 – Erasmus, Dutch philosopher (d. 1536)
- November 16 – Francesco Cattani da Diacceto, Florentine philosopher (d. 1522)
- November 26 – Edward Hastings, 2nd Baron Hastings, English noble (d. 1506)
- November 30 – Andrea Doria, Genoese condottiero and admiral (d. 1560)
- Unknown – Ming the Mollusk (d. 2006)
- Probable – Moctezuma II, Aztec ruler of Tenochtitlán (d. 1520)
- February 23 – Girishawardhana Dyah Suryawikrama, 9th Maharaja of Majapahit
- March 6 – Alvise Loredan, Venetian admiral and statesman (b. 1393)
- March 8 – Francesco I Sforza, Duke of Milan (b. 1401)
- August – Hacı I Giray, first ruler of the Crimean Khanate (b. 1397)
- October 30 – Johann Fust, German printer (b. c. 1400)
- December 13 – Donatello, Italian artist (b. 1386)
- Date unknown