|Cardinal||one hundred forty-three|
(one hundred forty-third)
|Factorization||11 × 13|
|Divisors||1, 11, 13, 143|
143 is the sum of seven consecutive primes (11 + 13 + 17 + 19 + 23 + 29 + 31). But this number is never the sum of an integer and its base 10 digits, making it a self number.
Every positive integer is the sum of at most 143 seventh powers (see Waring's problem).
143 is the difference in the first exception to the pattern shown below:
In the militaryEdit
- Vickers Type 143 was a British single-seat fighter biplane in 1929
- United States Air Force 143d Airlift Wing airlift unit at Quonset Point, Rhode Island
- USS Arcade (AM-143) was a United States Navy minesweeper ship during World War II
- USS Clermont (APA-143) was a United States Navy Haskell-class attack transport during World War II
- USS Fiske (DE-143) was a United States Navy Edsall-class destroyer escort during World War II
- USS General H. B. Freeman (AP-143) was a United States Navy General G. O. Squier-class transport ship in World War II
- USS Magistrate (SP-143) was a United States Navy Magistrate-class patrol boat
- USS Neosho (AO-143) was a United States Navy Neosho-class fleet oiler during the Cuban Missile Crisis
- USS Yarnall (DD-143) was a United States Navy Wickes-class destroyer during World War I
- London Buses route 143 is a Transport for London contracted bus route in London
- Air Canada Flight 143, landed at Gimli, Manitoba Air Force Base after gliding 80 miles (130 km) after running out of fuel on July 23, 1983
- Philippine Airlines Flight 143 exploded prior to takeoff on May 11, 1990, at Manila Airport
- Bristol Type 143 was a British twin-engined monoplane aircraft of the Bristol Aeroplane Company
- British Rail Class 143 diesel multiple unit, part of the Pacer family of trains introduced in 1985
- East 143rd Street–St. Mary's Street station on the IRT Pelham Line of the New York City Subway
- 143rd Street station on Metra's SouthWest Service in Orland Park, Illinois
- 143 (film), a 2004 Indian film
- Musicians Ray J and Bobby Brackins wrote the song "143"
- On Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: "Transformations", 143 is used to mean "I love you". 1 meaning I for 1 letter, 4 meaning Love for the 4 letters, and 3 meaning You for the 3 letters. Reportedly, Fred Rogers maintained his weight at exactly 143 pounds for the last thirty years of his life, and associated the number with the phrase "I love you"
- Jake Shimabukuro released the song "143" based on his experience in high school when 143 was sent on a pager to indicate "I Love You" 
- Sal Governale of The Howard Stern Show had a long running saga on the show about his wife who had an emotional friend. He discovered the severity of their relationship when he read their text messages and emails which included "143", shorthand for "I love you".
In popular cultureEdit
In other fieldsEdit
143 is also:
- The year AD 143 or 143 BC
- 143 AH is a year in the Islamic calendar that corresponds to 760 – 761 CE
- 143 Adria is a large main belt asteroid
- 143 Records label of producer David Foster, a sub-label of Atlantic Records
- Psalm 143
- Sonnet 143 by William Shakespeare
- Slovenia ranks #143 in world population
- The 143, in South Africa, refers to the 143 conscientious objectors who publicly refused to do military service in the Apartheid army in 1988.
- The song “143” by Musiq
- The song “Flying Dream 143” by Elbow
- The atomic number of Unquadtrium, a temporary chemical element
- Cycle 143 is the name of an album by digital artist j03l 
- Hattikutur, Mangkesh. "15 reasons Mr. Rogers was best neighbor ever." http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/07/28/mf.mrrogers.neighbor/ Mental Floss/CNN. 28 Jul 2008.
- "Peace Love Ukelele". jakeshimabukuro.com. 19 May 2015. Archived from the original on 2018-03-01. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "MarksFriggin.com - Stern Show News - Archive". www.marksfriggin.com. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- Nan Cross: Supported men resisting apartheid conscription Sunday Times (South Africa), 2007-07-22, accessed 2009-01-05[permanent dead link].
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 143 (number).|