Neil James Alexander Sloane (born October 10, 1939) is a British-American mathematician. His major contributions are in the fields of combinatorics, error-correcting codes, and sphere packing. Sloane is best known for being the creator and maintainer of the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (OEIS).
Neil Sloane in 1997
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne|
|Known for||Sphere Packing, Lattices and Groups (with J. H. Conway), The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes (with F. J. MacWilliams), and the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences|
|Awards||Chauvenet Prize (1979)|
Claude E. Shannon Award (1998)
IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal (2005)
AT&T Bell Laboratories
|Doctoral advisor||Frederick Jelinek, Wolfgang Fuchs|
He studied at Cornell University under Nick DeClaris, Frank Rosenblatt, Frederick Jelinek and Wolfgang Heinrich Johannes Fuchs, receiving his Ph.D. in 1967. His doctoral dissertation was titled Lengths of Cycle Times in Random Neural Networks. Sloane joined AT&T Bell Labs in 1968 and retired from AT&T Labs in 2012. He became an AT&T Fellow in 1998. He is also a Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales, an IEEE Fellow, a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, and a member of the National Academy of Engineering.
He is a winner of a Lester R. Ford Award in 1978 and the Chauvenet Prize in 1979. In 2005 Sloane received the IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal. In 2008 he received the Mathematical Association of America David P. Robbins award, and in 2013 the George Pólya Award.
In 2014, to celebrate his 75th birthday, Sloane shared some of his favorite integer sequences. Besides mathematics, he loves rock climbing and has authored two rock-climbing guides to New Jersey.
- N. J. A. Sloane, A Handbook of Integer Sequences, Academic Press, NY, 1973.
- Jessie MacWilliams and N. J. A. Sloane, The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes, Elsevier/North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1977.
- M. Harwit and N. J. A. Sloane, Hadamard Transform Optics, Academic Press, San Diego CA, 1979.
- N. J. A. Sloane and A. D. Wyner, editors, Claude Elwood Shannon: Collected Papers, IEEE Press, NY, 1993.
- N. J. A. Sloane and S. Plouffe, The Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences, Academic Press, San Diego, 1995.
- J. H. Conway and N. J. A. Sloane, Sphere Packings, Lattices and Groups, Springer-Verlag, NY, 1st edn., 1988; 2nd edn., 1993; 3rd ed., 1998.
- A. S. Hedayat, N. J. A. Sloane and J. Stufken, Orthogonal Arrays: Theory and Applications, Springer-Verlag, NY, 1999.
- G. Nebe, E. M. Rains and N. J. A. Sloane, Self-Dual Codes and Invariant Theory, Springer-Verlag, 2006.
- Roselle, David P. (1979). "Award of the Chauvenet Prize to Dr. Neil J. A. Sloane". American Mathematical Monthly. 86 (2): 79. doi:10.2307/2321940. JSTOR 2321940.
- Sloane's home page "Neil J. A. Sloane: Home Page". Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Contains information on over two hundred thousand integer sequences "The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences". Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- Neil Sloane: the man who loved only integer sequences, The Guardian, October 7, 2014
- Neil Sloane at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Dr Neil Sloane". Fellows. Learned Society of Wales. 2015. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Sloane, Neil J. A. (1977). "Error correcting codes and invariant theory: new applications of a 19th century technique". Amer. Math. Monthly. 84 (2): 82–107. doi:10.2307/2319929. JSTOR 2319929.
- "IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal Recipients" (PDF). IEEE. Retrieved May 29, 2011.
- Bellos, Alex (7 October 2014). "Neil Sloane: the man who loved only integer sequences". The Guardian. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Sloane's webpage for the book "Rock Climbing New Jersey". Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- Sloan, Neil; Haran, Brady. "Neil Sloane on Numberphile". YouTube. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- Pless, Vera (1978). "Review: The theory of error-correcting codes, I and II, by F. J. MacWilliams and N. J. A. Sloane". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 84 (6): 1356–1359. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1978-14578-9.
- Guy, Richard K. (1989). "Review: Sphere packings, lattices and groups, by J. H. Conway and N. J. A. Sloane". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 21 (1): 142–147. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1989-15795-9.
- Rogers, C. A. (1993). "Review: Sphere packings, lattices and groups, second ed., by J. H. Conway and N. J. A. Sloane". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 29 (2): 306–314. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1993-00435-x.