Yusuf Saad Kamel
Yusuf Saad Kamel (Arabic: يوسف سعد كامل), born Gregory Konchellah (born 29 March 1983) is a male former middle-distance runner who competed in the 800 metres and 1500 metres. Born in Narok, Kenya – the son of former two-time 800 metres World Champion Billy Konchellah – he represented Bahrain internationally. Kamel won the gold in the 1500 m and bronze in 800 m at the 2009 World Championships in Athletics held in Berlin.
Kamel at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin
|Birth name||Gregory Konchellah|
|Born||29 March 1983|
|Event(s)||800 metres, 1500 metres|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||800 m: 1:42.79 min (2008)|
1500 m: 3:31.56 min (2009)
In early 2009 he stopped competing for Bahrain claiming unpaid salary and bonuses. He was willing to compete for Kenya, but his Kenyan passport was held by Bahraini officials. Without a passport, he was unable to compete in any competition. Several other Kenyan runners who took Bahraini citizenship have also left Bahrain and are vying to compete for Kenya. However, he returned to the track in July 2009 at the Athletissima meeting, still representing Bahrain. Subsequently, Athletics Kenya stopped to handle his attempt to compete for Kenya.
- 800 metres
- List of middle-distance runners
- List of eligibility transfers in athletics
- List of World Athletics Championships medalists (men)
- List of sportspeople who competed for more than one nation
- List of Asian Games medalists in athletics
- List of IAAF World Indoor Championships medalists (men)
- 800 metres at the World Championships in Athletics
- 1500 metres at the World Championships in Athletics
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Yusuf Saad Kamel". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 16 December 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- The East African, June 8, 2009: Konchellah ‘back’ home
- The Standard, July 13, 2009: Konchella throws spanner in the works Archived September 17, 2009, at the Wayback Machine