Yael Shelbia Cohen
August 31, 2001
|Height||174 cm (5 ft 8+1⁄2 in)|
|Agency||ITM Israel, Model Link (Sweden), Elite (Miami, US), Storm Model Management London (UK), ModelWerk (Germany), AddictedToModels (Austria), Storm Model Management (Los Angeles, US)|
She has appeared in a number of international modeling campaigns. She was listed by TC CANDLER[who?] in 2018 as the 3rd most beautiful face in the world, ahead of her fellow countrywoman Gal Gadot, and again in 2019 as the 2nd most beautiful face in the world. In December of 2020, Yael was named TC CANDLER's Most Beautiful face in the world. Earlier in 2020, Yael was named Model of the Year by At Magazine.
She became a leading model for Castro from 2017 and Renuar from 2018 . She has received additional media attention due to her Orthodox background, as she keeps Kosher and observes Shabbat, which had led to controversy in her Orthodox Jewish religious community. In 2019, Shelbia was chosen to lead Kylie Jenner's new skincare range.
Yael currently stars in the Israeli television series Palmach on Teen Nick and Yes TV Kids.
Early life and careerEdit
Yael Shelbia Cohen was born in Nahariya, Israel, to a religious Orthodox Jewish family. Her mother, Ofra Cohen, is a realtor and a librarian with a master's degree in Urban planning and geography. Her father, Ofer Cohen, is a factory supervisor. She has two sisters and two brothers.
She uses her middle name "Shelbia" as her professional surname, which was inherited from her Djerbian great-grandmother's Tunisian-Jewish family (of Sephardic Jewish descent), as it is believed to protect against the evil eye. She began by uploading selfies she took by herself on Instagram shortly before her 16th birthday. As a result of finding her photos on her Instagram account, she later received an offer to take photos from the professional photographer Marina Moskowitz.
She attended a religious Ulpana high school for girls. Her modeling soon led to controversy and opposition in her Ulpana, which threatened to send a letter to the Israeli Education Ministry to expel her. Her family however, had been supportive of her career, so long as it would not interfere with her religious studies. And after consultation with Israel's Religious Education Ministry, she was allowed to continue her studies on condition of following certain guidelines. However, combining a modeling career with a religious lifestyle, has led to difficulties, including in terms of modesty of clothing. During a modeling campaign in Milan, she had to live on crackers for four days, as she could not find kosher food. She says she had lost many modeling contracts, due to her keeping of the Sabbath and choices in clothing.
As of 2020, Shelbia serves as a soldier in the Israeli Air Force of the Israel Defense Forces, rather than serving in the Sherut Leumi as a civilian. The latter is what most religious Jewish girls in Israel opt to do.
In 2019, she was cast for her debut acting role in a television series about the Israeli Palmach. It is a drama adventure series set in 1946, two pivotal years before the State of Israel was founded. A seemingly innocent training farm secretly functions as a Strike Forces (Palmach) training base and recruitment center for exceptional teens, as well as a home-base for illegal immigration missions and special ops against the British mandate. The show debuted in 2020, Shelbia plays Ruth.
In 2020, she was crowned the winner of TC Candler's Annual "100 Most Beautiful Faces of the Year" list.
- "מנהל האולפנה אמר לי: או שאת מפסיקה לדגמן או שאת עוזבת | Fashion Forward | אופנה". 2017-06-08.
- Solny, Shiryn (July 27, 2018). "Shabbat-Observant Israeli Model Stars in New Kim Kardashian Makeup Ad". The Algemeiner. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "@YaelShelbia (Post of Professional Modeling Photo from 2016)". Instagram. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- YAEL SHELBIA Metro Models
- A student of the ulpana who was described as the most beautiful Israeli in the world: "Funny that I overtook Gal Gadot", Mako, By Shimon Ifergan, January 2, 2018
- Meet the Israeli girl who overtook Gal Gadot Channel 10 02.01.2018
- "Tzuyu is world's most beautiful face". The Straits Times. December 30, 2019. Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- K-pop star from Taiwan named 'most beautiful face of 2019' By Central News Agency 12.28.2019
- Yael Shelbia -- The 2nd Most Beautiful Face of 2019 By TC Candler 12.29.2019
- "I Still Keep the Sabbath": Yael Shelbia is Model of the Year for "At" By Hadass Bishon 1.5.2020
- "I got a gift from God, I do not have to apologize" Israel Hayom, by Hagit Rabinovich, 29.03.2018
- From the Tel Aviv municipality to the Dior campaign, 21.08.2017, Shir-Li Golan, Yedioth Ahronoth
- Yael Shelevia will lead Kylie Jenner's biotic campaign Israel Hayom, March 18, 2019
- L-5150572,00.html The Israeli model who excited Messi Posted: 08.03.18, ynetnews
- The headmaster told me: Either you stop modeling or you leave By Shimon Ifergan, 8 June 2017, Mako
- Religious model Yael Shelbia in Kim Kardashian's campaign 25.07.2018, Israel Hayom
- Instagram: ¿Lionel Messi se incomodó al posar junto a modelo israelí Yael Shelbia? Redacción EC, 04.12.2018 / 03:05 pm
- "The most beautiful face in the world announced". www.msn.com. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- "Israeli model ranked world's most beautiful woman". EJP. 2020-12-29. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- Lewak, Doree (2020-12-31). "This 19-year-old is 2020's 'Most Beautiful' woman in the world". New York Post. Retrieved 2020-12-31.
- "בלי סודות: יעל שלביה מנשקת את החבר באמצע הרחוב". 2019-05-29.
- Steel, Emily (2016-06-02). "Inside the Battle for Sumner Redstone's $40 Billion Media Empire". The New York Times.
- "Shari Redstone: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". 2018-07-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yael Shelbia.|