|• Total||6.50 km2 (2.51 sq mi)|
|Elevation||514 m (1,686 ft)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Feusisberg, Freienbach, Hütten (ZH), Richterswil (ZH)|
Wollerau has an area, as of 2006[update], of 6.3 km2 (2.4 sq mi). Of this area, 56.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 13.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 24.9% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (4.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Wollerau has a population (as of 31 December 2018) of 7,255. As of 2007[update], 19.7% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 16.7%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (88.8%), with English being second most common ( 2.1%) and Italian being third ( 1.7%).
As of 2000[update] the gender distribution of the population was 51.5% male and 48.5% female. The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Wollerau is; 1,348 people or 22.2% of the population is between 0 and 19. 1,767 people or 29.1% are 20 to 39, and 2,286 people or 37.6% are 40 to 64. The senior population distribution is 375 people or 6.2% are 65 to 74. There are 209 people or 3.4% who are 70 to 79 and 89 people or 1.47% of the population who are over 80.
Wollerau has an unemployment rate of 1.39%. As of 2005[update], there were 94 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 26 businesses involved in this sector. 774 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 97 businesses in this sector. 1,819 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 416 businesses in this sector.
From the 2000 census[update], 3,180 or 52.4% are Roman Catholic, while 1,755 or 28.9% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there are 7 individuals (or about 0.12% of the population) who belong to the Christian Catholic faith, there are 58 individuals (or about 0.95% of the population) who belong to the Orthodox Church, and there are 29 individuals (or about 0.48% of the population) who belong to another Christian church. There are 12 individuals (or about 0.20% of the population) who are Jewish, and 191 (or about 3.14% of the population) who are Islamic. There are 60 individuals (or about 0.99% of the population) who belong to another church (not listed on the census), 623 (or about 10.26% of the population) belong to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 159 individuals (or about 2.62% of the population) did not answer the question.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Because of its very liberal tax structure, Wollerau is also home to some internationally well known celebrities, including tennis player Roger Federer and former Formula One driver Felipe Massa. Kimi Räikkönen also lives in Wollerau.
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 02-Sep-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 23 September 2019
- Canton Schwyz Statistics (in German) accessed 27 August 2009
- Wollerau in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wollerau.|