30 November 1974
Hairun Media (2012–2015)
Shanghai Cornucopia Television Culture Media (present)
|Labels||Music Impact (1995–1998)|
Rock Records (2000–2005)
Cornucopia Music (2006–present)
- 1 Career
- 2 Filmography
- 3 Discography
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
1993–1998: Beginnings and Rise to fameEdit
His debut was in the 1993 Hong Kong TVB biographical television drama The Chord to Victory, portraying Kenny Bee, a member of The Wynners. In 1995, Chung moved to Taiwan to pursue a singing career under the guidance of record producer Samuel Tai, subsequently signing a contract with Music Impact (BMG).
Chung's successful debut with his 1995 dance album OREA dubbed him as Taiwan's "Little Sun." The eponymous title song quickly raced to #1, topping the charts for many weeks. In December 1995, Chung released his second album, By Your Side, which earned him a title as Taiwan's Best Idol for two years in the row. Chung achieved further fame in mainland China through the television series Imminent Crisis, making him the only actor from Hong Kong to be nominated at the China TV Golden Eagle Award. He gained mainstream popularity in 2015 with the hit romance drama My Sunshine, and won the Asia Grand Star Award at the Seoul International Drama Awards.
In 1995, Chung was recommended by Taiwanese music producers, and signed on with the record company BMG. That July, he debuted as a singer with his first solo album, OREA. The eponymous title song quickly raced to #1, topping the charts for many weeks. In December, he released his second album, By Your Side. With his successful debut and entry into the entertainment industry, the Taiwanese media dubbed him as Taiwan's "Little Sun".
In July 1996, he made his film debut in Hi Sir. Chung also contributed to the soundtrack of the film, singing the theme song "Ai Bu Shi Shou". Hi Sir topped box office charts and became the biggest summer hit of 1996. In October, he released his first Cantonese album titled Present, officially embarking onto the Hong Kong music industry.
In October 1998, Chung released his sixth album, Hello, How Are You. The title song "Subway" was nominated at the Golden Melody Awards for Best Composition. Chung also received praise for penning the lyrics to most of his songs, including "Really Like Me", "Us" and "I Really Want to Know".
1999–2009: Focus on actingEdit
From 1999 onwards, Chung moved to the Mainland to focus on his acting career. The same year, he played his first television leading role in wuxia drama Windstorm. In 2001, Chung had a guest role in the pan-asia hit drama Meteor Garden.
Chung resumed his singing career in 2004. He published his seventh Mandarin-language album, Soul Man. The album received positive reviews from music critics.
Chung first gained recognition for his portrayal of two Qing-dynasty figures. In 2006, Chung starred in Secret History of Kangxi, portraying a famous Chinese poet Nalan Xingde. In 2008, Chung starred in Royal Tramp, portraying Kangxi Emperor.
2011–2014: Rising popularityEdit
In 2010, Chung starred in the romance melodrama Too Late to Say Loving You, portraying Mu Rongfeng. The drama earned a cult following among Mainland audiences, and Chung gained popularity in the Chinese mainland, especially among female audiences.
In January 2010, Chung released his eleventh Mandarin album, All Eyes On Me. Upon its release in mainland China in October, the album topped the charts and Chung won the Best Male Stage Performance at the Beijing Pop Music Awards. Chung once again won the award in 2011, with his single "One Day We Will Grow Old". The song was also named as one of the Top 10 songs of the year. In October 2011, he held his first solo concert titled "Wallace S-Party Concert" at Shanghai's Luwan Gymnasium.
In 2012, he starred in the spy drama Imminent Crisis. Chung's performance earned him acclaim, and he was nominated the Audience's Favorite TV Drama Actor in the Hong Kong and Taiwan region at the 26th China TV Golden Eagle Award and the Most Popular Actor at the 9th China Golden Eagle TV Art Festival. He won the Audience's Favorite TV Drama Actor in the Hong Kong and Taiwan region, becoming the first actor from Hong Kong and Taiwan region to win such a national TV award.
Chung was once again nominated for the award the subsequent year with his performance in the wuxia drama The Magic Blade (2012), adapted from Gu Long's novel of the same title. Chung was also awarded the Best Actor award at the 3rd LeTV awards for his performance.
In 2013, Chung starred in the romance drama Best Time, based on Tong Hua's novel The Most Beautiful Time. The series was a ratings hit, leading to increased popularity for Chung. Chung was awarded the Best Actor award for the Hong Kong and Taiwan region at the 4th LeTV awards. The same year, he starred in the wuxia drama The Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, adapted from Louis Cha's novel Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils. He then starred in crime thriller film Drug War, directed by Johnnie To.
In 2014, Chung played dual roles in the drama The Stand-In, adapted from the film Bodyguards and Assassins. The series was nominated for the Outstanding Television Series award at the Flying Apsaras Awards. He also starred alongside Feng Shaofeng and Chen Bolin in the road trip comedy film The Continent, directed by Han Han.
2015–present: Mainstream popularityEdit
In 2015, Chung starred in the romance melodrama in My Sunshine, based on the novel Silent Separation written by Gu Man. The series was a major hit, and propelled Chung to mainstream popularity in China. Chung received the Asia Star Grand Award at the 2015 Seoul International Drama Awards. The same year, he announced his directorial debut, Sandglass, a youth movie adapted from best-selling author Rao Xueman's book by the same name.
In December 2015, Chung released a new album titled Sing For Life, and announced his Sing For Life World Tour. The tour began in Shanghai on February 20, 2016, and subsequently traveled to Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Beijing.
In 2016, Chung starred in the action comedy film Bounty Hunters, directed by Shin Terra, alongside Tiffany Tang and Korean actor Lee Min-ho. The same year, he starred in the crime thriller Tik Tok. Chung then played the antagonist in crime drama film Three, which also stars Zhao Wei and Louis Koo. He won the Most Anticipated Actor award at the 19th China Movie Channel Media Award.
|English title||Chinese title||Year||Role||Notes|
|Hi Sir||超級班長||1996||Dong Zhenwu||aka Squad Leader|
|Love Is Not a Game But a Joke||飛一般愛情小說||1997||Leslie||aka Sweet Symphony|
|Fight or Die||英雄向後轉||Lin Zongguan|
|Bad Girl Trilogy||惡女列傳||Liang||Segment: Cat and Mouse|
|Duel for Love||鬥愛||2008||Chu Sinan|
|Evening of Roses||夜玫瑰||2009||Ke Zhihong||Digital film|
|Huo Xian Zhui Xiong||火線追兇||Detective Zhong Lang|
|Secret Garden||秘密花園||2012||Jin Zhuyuan|
|To Love God||愛神來了||2013||Si Song|
|Drug War||毒戰||Guo Weijun|
|The Continent||后會無期||2014||A Lv|
|Meet Miss Anxiety||我的早更女友||Liu Chong|
|Monster Hunt||捉妖记||2015||Ge Qianhu||Special appearance|
|Bounty Hunters||賞金獵人||Wang Boyou|
|Tik Tok||惊天大逆转||Guo Zhiyong / Guo Zhihua|
|The Wasted Times||罗曼蒂克消亡史||Dance instructor||Cameo|
|English title||Chinese title||Year||Role||Notes|
|The Chord to Victory||少年五虎||1993||Kenny Bee|
|Mind Our Own Business||開心華之里||Siu Kwong-wai||Cameo|
|Journey of Love||親恩情未了||Cheung Ka-keung|
|Detective Investigation Files||刑事偵緝檔案||1995||Lam Yan-chi||Guest appearance|
|Feng Chen Hu Die||風塵舞蝶||2001||Bao Wangchun|
|Meteor Garden||流星花園||Song||Guest, Episodes 21–22|
|Qian Si Wan Lu||千絲萬縷||Han Yuntian|
|Secretly in love with you||偷偷愛上你||2002||Chiang Cheng-fei|
|The Four Detective Guards||四大名捕会京师||Chaser|
|Hi! Working Girl||Hi！上班女郎||2003||Johnny||Guest, Episodes 5–8|
|Treacherous Waters||逆水寒||2004||Gu Xizhao|
|Mo Jie Zhi Long Zhu||魔界之龙珠||Lu Yi|
|The Midnight Sun||午夜陽光||2005||Yu Youhe|
|Secret History of Kangxi||康熙秘史||2006||Nalan Xingde|
|The Patriotic Knights||俠骨丹心||2007||Li Nanxing|
|Rose Martial World||玫瑰江湖||Mu Sheng|
|Royal Tramp||鹿鼎記||2008||Kangxi Emperor|
|Let's Dance||不如跳舞||Luo Peng|
|Too Late to Say Loving You||來不及說我愛你||Murong Feng|
|King of Shanghai||上海王||Yu Qiyang (A'qi)|
|No Choice||別無選擇||2010||Qi Tianbai|
|Under the Bodhi Tree||菩提樹下||Guan Houpu|
|Imminent Crisis||一觸即發||2011||Yang Muchu / Yang Muci|
|The Magic Blade||天涯明月刀||2012||Fu Hongxue|
|Best Time||最美的時光||2013||Elliott Lu|
|The Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils||天龍八部||Qiao Feng / Xiao Feng|
|The Stand-in||十月圍城||2014||Li Chongguang/Wang Asi|
|The City of Warriors||勇士之城||He Pingan|
|My Sunshine||何以笙簫默||2015||He Yichen|
|General and I||孤芳不自賞||2017||Chu Beijie|
|Memories of Love||一路繁花相送||2018||Lu Fei||aka The Flower Road to Bid Farewell|
|All Out of Love||凉生，我们可不可以不忧伤||Cheng Tianyou|
|English title||Chinese title||Year||Role||Notes|
|Dancing with Stars||舞林大會||2006||Contestant|
|The Amazing Race China||極速前進（第一季）||2014||Contestant||Winner with Jackie Chung, his younger sister|
|Back To High School||我去上學啦（第一季）||2015||Host|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Language||Type|
|By Your Side||在你身邊||Mandarin|
|Present||一千種不放心 / 禮物||Cantonese|
|Zi Lian Wu Xing Ji||自戀舞星級||Mandarin
|1998||Do You Love Him?||妳愛他嗎?||Mandarin||Studio album|
|Hello, How Are You?||鍾情二次方||Mandarin|
|2000||Most Exciting||最是精彩||Mandarin||Best album|
|2004||Soul Man||流向巴黎||Mandarin||Studio album|
|2010||All Eyes On Me||視覺動物||Mandarin|
|2015||Sing For Life||乐作人生||Mandarin||Extended play|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Album||Notes|
|2003||"On Fire"||著火||Feng Chen Hu Die OST|
|2006||"A Million Screams"||一萬次呼喊||Secret History of Kangxi OST|
|2007||"Reason to be Happy"||幸福的理由||N/A|
|2011||"One Day We Will Grow Old"||有一天我们都会老||N/A|
|"The Magic Blade"||天涯明月刀||The Magic Blade OST|
|2013||"To Love God"||愛神||To Love God OST|
|"Tian Xia Zhi Feng"||天下之風||N/A|
|2014||"Gu Lang Xiang"||故鄉香||The Stand-In OST|
|"Zhong Guo Shan"||中國山|
|2015||"What Is Love"||何以愛情||My Sunshine OST|
|"Ordinary Person"||普通人||Hollywood Adventures OST|
|"Qi Shu"||奇书||Monster Hunt OST|
|2017||"A Lonesome Fragrance"||一支孤芳||General and I OST|
|2018||"Love that is Not Sad"||不忧伤的爱||All Out of Love OST|
Awards and nominationsEdit
Film and televisionEdit
|2009||15th Shanghai Television Festival||Most Popular Actor||King of Shanghai||Nominated|
|2010||14th China Music Awards||Best TV Actor Award (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Nominated|
|Best Trend-Setting Actor||Won|||
|2011||15th China Music Awards||Best TV Actor Award (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Too Late to Say Loving You||Nominated|
|3rd China TV Drama Awards||Most Popular Couple (with Li Xiaoran)||Won|||
|2012||26th China TV Golden Eagle Award||Audience's Choice for Actor||Imminent Crisis||Nominated|
|9th China Golden Eagle TV Art Festival||Most Popular Actor||Nominated|
|Audience's Favorite TV Drama Actor (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Won|||
|4th China TV Drama Awards||Most Appealing Actor||N/A||Won|
|Most Popular All-Rounded Artist||N/A||Won|
|2013||5th China TV Drama Awards||Influential Figure of the Year||N/A||Won|
|Most Popular Actor (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Best Time||Won|||
|2014||6th China TV Drama Awards||Television Figure of the Year||The Stand-In||Won|
|Media Recommended Actor||N/A||Won|||
|10th China Golden Eagle TV Art Festival||Audience's Favorite TV Drama Actor (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||The Magic Blade||Nominated|
|2015||10th Seoul International Drama Awards||Asia Grand Star Award||My Sunshine, The Stand-in||Won|||
|2016||19th Shanghai International Film Festival||Best Actor||Three||Won|||
|12th Guangzhou Student Film Festival||Most Popular Actor||Won|||
|2011||18th Beijing Pop Music Awards||Best Male Stage Performance||N/A||Won|||
|Music Radio China Top Chart Awards||Most Popular Male Singer (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||N/A||Won|||
|11th China Original Song Award||Best Male Stage Performance||N/A||Won|||
|Most Popular Male Singer (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||N/A||Won|
|9+2 Music Pioneer Awards||All-Rounded Artist of the Year||N/A||Won|||
|Most Popular Singer||N/A||Won|
|Most Popular Song||"One Day We Will Grow Old"||Won|
|2012||19th Beijing Pop Music Awards||Best Male Stage Performance||N/A||Won|||
|Songs of the Year||"One Day We Will Grow Old"||Won|
|2014||1st China Top Hits Awards||Best All-Rounded Artist||"Tian Xia Zhi Feng"||Won|||
|Best Male Stage Performance||"To Love God"||Won|
|Top 10 Songs||"Zhong Guo Shan"||Won|
|2015||Top Chinese Music Awards||Most Popular Television OST||Won|||
|2016||Most Popular Album||Sing For Life||Won|||
|Most Popular Song||"Sing For Life"||Won|
|Most Popular Television OST||"He Yi Ai Qing"||Won|
- "2013 Forbes China Celebrity 100 List: Fan Bingbing in Top Spot". JayneStars. April 24, 2013.
- "2014 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. May 6, 2014.
- "2015 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. May 13, 2015.
- "2017 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. September 22, 2017.
- "Top 10 timeless male Chinese stars". China.org.cn. December 10, 2013.
- "国民男神钟汉良背景曝光 盘点成名走红心酸史". Anhui TV (in Chinese). December 26, 2013.
- "寇世勋钟汉良斗智《白手风云》". Sina (in Chinese). September 14, 2004.
- "钟汉良新专辑《流向巴黎》发布会在北京举行". Sina (in Chinese). May 26, 2004.
- "纳兰性德扮演者钟汉良现场深情献辞". Sina (in Chinese). November 20, 2006.
- "胡静《康熙秘史》中钟情钟汉良 袒露爱情观(图)". Sina (in Chinese). November 27, 2007.
- "《上海王》山东热播 新晋视帝钟汉良霸气外露". Sohu (in Chinese). October 17, 2012. Missing or empty
- "图：《来不及说我爱你》 钟汉良饰演慕容沣". Sohu (in Chinese). November 18, 2009.
- "钟汉良新专辑成为销售黑马 首批出货抢购一空". Tencent (in Chinese). November 23, 2010.
- "钟汉良上海举办首场演唱会 呈现完美视觉效果". Sina (in Chinese). October 2, 2011.
- "金鹰奖打破"港台限制" 钟汉良入围角逐视帝". Tencent (in Chinese). August 1, 2012.
- "金鹰节落幕 钟汉良成首位获奖港澳台艺人". ifeng (in Chinese). September 9, 2012.
- "钟汉良再度入围金鹰奖 有望梅开二度再封王". ifeng (in Chinese). October 4, 2014.
- "《最美的时光》蝉联收视冠军 钟汉良成荧幕热宠". Sohu (in Chinese). December 16, 2013.
- "New version of The Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils hits TV". China Daily. November 25, 2013.
- "Johnnie To's "Drug War" Explores the Psyche of a Drug Trafficker". JayneStars. November 17, 2012.
- "Wallace Chung Wanted to Challenge Himself with New Drama "The Stand-In"". JayneStars. June 30, 2014.
- "钟汉良加盟韩寒电影《后会无期》". Netease (in Chinese). March 20, 2014.
- "Why Does My Sunshine Become So Popular". China Radio International. January 30, 2015.
- "Seoul Drama Awards 2015 winners list". SBS PopAsia. September 11, 2015.
- "Chung turns director with Sandglass". China Daily. November 30, 2015.
- "乐作人生专辑二次预售 钟汉良再次涉足歌坛". ifeng (in Chinese). December 14, 2015.
- "钟汉良巡演上海站落幕 妹妹Jackie助阵演出". Netease (in Chinese). February 21, 2016.
- "'Bounty Hunters': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. November 7, 2016.
- "Thriller Tik Tok set for July release". China Daily. May 23, 2016.
- "Film review: Three – Louis Koo, Zhao Wei and Wallace Chung converge in hospital-set thriller". South China Morning Post. July 13, 2016.
- "上影节"王牌印象"：钟汉良首次晋升影帝". People's Daily (in Chinese). June 19, 2016.
- "《孤芳》钟汉良baby棋逢对手展新式爱情观" (in Chinese). July 14, 2016.
- "Wallace Chung Searches for First Love in "Flowers Shall Send Us on Our Way"". JayneStars. July 28, 2016.
- "《凉生，我们可不可以不忧伤》官宣主演阵容". Tencent (in Chinese). August 28, 2016.
- "《解放了》探班 李少红携周一围钟汉良杨幂等亮相". Mtime (in Chinese). March 21, 2019.
- "徐峥监制电影《宠爱》首曝演员阵容 定档12月31日". 1905.com (in Chinese). August 27, 2019.
- "第14届华语榜中榜获奖名单". ifeng (in Chinese). March 28, 2010.
- "安徽卫视2011国剧盛典获奖名单". Sina (in Chinese). January 1, 2012.
- ""人气男神"钟汉良年底领奖忙 成盛典热门人物". Sina (in Chinese). December 23, 2013.
- "2014国剧盛典 钟汉良领奖". China News (in Chinese). December 18, 2014.
- "第十三届广州大学生电影节12月15日圆满落幕". Netease (in Chinese). December 16, 2016.
- "钟汉良热力开场"中歌榜" 喜获最佳舞台演绎奖". Sina (in Chinese). January 20, 2011.
- "往期回顾：2010年度MusicRadio中国TOP排行榜". CCTV.com (in Chinese). April 19, 2013.
- "钟汉良获 "中国原创歌曲奖"两项大奖". Sohu (in Chinese). October 17, 2011.
- "《音乐先锋榜》2011年度颁奖典礼获奖名单" (in Chinese). December 11, 2011.
- "2011年度中歌榜颁奖礼获奖名单". Sina (in Chinese). January 19, 2012.
- "钟汉良亮相新歌榜颁奖礼 夺三奖成大赢家". Sina (in Chinese).
- "2015年第15届音乐风云榜获奖名单完整版名单直播". Shenchuang.com (in Chinese). April 14, 2015.
- "鍾漢良成音樂風雲榜多料贏家". Wenweipo.com (in Chinese). April 10, 2016.