This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Zhong is pinyin transliteration of several Chinese surnames, including Zhōng (鍾/钟), Zhòng (种, mistakenly for Chóng, cf. zh:种姓) and Zhòng (仲), etc. These are also transliterated as Chung (especially in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Malaysia). It is sometimes transliterated as Cheong or Choong in Malaysia. In Indonesia, it is transliterated as Tjung or Tjoeng.
Zhōng (鍾/钟) is the 56th most common last name in China. People surnamed Zhong are the descendants of Tang of Shang. During the Zhou Dynasty, a descendant of Tang of Shang, Wei Zi Qi was made the duke of Song (south of Shanqiu, Henan). A few generations later, Song Heng Gong had a son called Ao. Ao had a grandson Bo Zhong, who was a judge in the Jin kingdom. Bo pleaded for the duke of Jin to repent from his unrighteousness and was executed. His son Zhou Li fled to the kingdom of Chu and became the prime minister. He was awarded the land of Zhongli (northeast of Fengyang, Anhui), and his descendants were known as the Zhonglis. Among them, Zhongli Mei was a general under Xiang Yu. After Xiang Yu was defeated by Liu Bang, Zhongli Mei committed suicide. Mei's son, Jie, fled to Zhangge, Henan, and changed his last name to Zhong. Zhong Jie can be considered as the forefather of the Zhong family.
Notable persons surnamed ZhongEdit
- Arthur Chung, first president of Guyana
- Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, former Governor of Jakarta, whose Chinese name is Zhong Wanxue (Mandarin) or Tjung Ban Hok in Hakka
- Betty Chung, Hong Kong actress/singer
- Cheong Eak Chong, Chinese-Singaporean entrepreneur
- Gillian Chung (born 1980), Hong Kong singer and actress
- Jong Chien-wu, Taiwanese football manager
- Jong Yeu-Jeng (born 1973), Taiwanese baseball player
- Kenny Bee (born 1953), Hong Kong singer, songwriter, and actor.
- Linda Chung (born 1984), Hong Kong singer and actress
- Zhong Guiqing (born 1977), Chinese pole vaulter
- Zhong Hui (born 225), Military general, politician and writer of the state of Cao Wei in the Three Kingdoms period
- Zhong Kui
- Zhong Yao , Calligrapher and politician who lived in the late Eastern Han Dynasty
- Zhong Chenle , Singer in the K-pop group NCT
- Zhong Naixiong , founder & chairman of Nenking Group, a Chinese conglomerate
- Kym Ng 钟琴 Singaporean actress.
- Stella Chung Malaysian Singer
- Zhong Wanxie, physicist, member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
|This page lists people with the surname Zhong. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|