Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, formerly The Waldorf-Astoria Collection, is a Hilton Worldwide luxury hotel and resort brand. It is positioned as the flagship brand within Hilton's portfolio, being used on hotels which offer the highest standards of facilities and service.
|Founders||Hilton Hotels, Inc|
|Products||Luxury hotels, Resorts|
In January 2006, Hilton Hotels, Inc announced it would launch a luxury brand called The Waldorf Astoria Collection, branded after the flagship The Waldorf Astoria in New York City. In 2014, this property was sold to Anbang Insurance, while Hilton still manages the hotel under its brand. Some of Hilton's properties carry the "Waldorf" name in their title, but are not part of the Waldorf Astoria chain — The Waldorf Hilton, London being an example.
As of April 2007, there were four properties—the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix, La Quinta Resort & Spa in La Quinta, California, The Waldorf Astoria in New York and the Grand Wailea Resort & Spa in Wailea, Maui, Hawaii.
Later in 2007, the Qasr Al Sharq in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, was added to the portfolio. The next property to join the portfolio was the Rome Cavalieri, a rebranding and upgrading of the Cavalieri in Rome, Italy, in early summer 2008. During the fall of 2008, three Florida hotels, located in Boca Raton, Key West and Naples, were also added.
In July 2009, the Dakota Mountain Lodge opened in Park City, Utah; it later dropped the "Dakota Mountain Lodge" title and is now known simply as Waldorf Astoria Park City. It is the first ski resort to join the portfolio.
In January 2014, the first Waldorf Astoria opened doors in Dubai, on the Palm Jumeirah. In March 2014 the Waldorf Astoria Beijing opened its doors. May 1, 2014 Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam received its first guests.
In October 2014, the Hilton Worldwide Holdings announced the sale of the Waldorf Astoria New York Hotel to Chinese Anbang Insurance Group for $1.95 billion. The Hilton group continues to operate the hotel under a 100-year management contract with the buyer.
In February 2018, Hilton announced it will open Africa's first Waldorf Astoria in Cairo, Heliopolis district. The hotel is scheduled to be completed before the end of 2018.
The following tables detail the properties of Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts as of May 2018, in alphabetical order by the complete name of the property:
|Waldorf Astoria Bali||Bali||Indonesia||2017|
|Waldorf Astoria Hainan Baoting Resort||Baoting||China||2016|
|Waldorf Astoria Kuwait||Kuwait City, Kuwait||Kuwait||2020|
|Waldorf Astoria San Francisco||San Francisco||United States||2020|
|Waldorf Astoria Sanya||Haitang Bay||P.R. of China||2017|
|Waldorf Astoria Thamrin One||Jakarta||Indonesia||2019|
Ranking and awardsEdit
- "Hilton to sell Waldorf Astoria NY for $1.95b". Hotel News Now. 6 October 2014.
- "Tourism column: Naples resort joins Waldorf-Astoria". The News-Press. Retrieved 2008-08-09.[dead link]
- "Guests of Waldeorf AStoria Dubai Palm Jumeirah spoiled by luxurious choices". Dubaichronicle.com. 12 January 2014. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Charles V. Bagli (6 October 2014). "Waldorf-Astoria to Be Sold in a $1.95 Billion Deal". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Brandon Friederich (24 January 2017). "The Waldorf Astoria". Mexim.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Jon Livesey; Michael Leidig (24 January 2017). "Deluxe five-star Dubai hotel says flesh-flashing Russian models are tarnishing family image with 'erotic' snaps". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Waldorf Astoria Home Page". Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Jena Tesse Fox (16 May 2018). "Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas to become a Waldorf Astoria". Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- Nancy Trejos (3 January 2017). "Waldorf Astoria New York to shut down for renovation". Usatoday.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Breandan Krisel (25 January 2017). "Waldorf Astoria Interiors Could Be Landmarked By February". Patch.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Peter Greenberg Worldwide—The Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates". Petergreenberg.com. 4 February 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Hess, Glenden. "Waldorf Astoria to Open in San Francisco – SFLUXE". Sfluxe.net. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- Daniel K. Eisenbud, Jerusalem’s Waldorf Astoria ranked 7th best hotel in world, The Jerusalem Post, 7 January 2016 (Accessed 10 February 2017)