|Region||Amsterdam metropolitan area|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Frank Dales (D66)|
|• Total||63.17 km2 (24.39 sq mi)|
|• Land||45.20 km2 (17.45 sq mi)|
|• Water||17.97 km2 (6.94 sq mi)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|• Density||1,518/km2 (3,930/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
1950–1951, 1970–1992, 2070–2082
|Area code||023, 0251, 0255|
On the north side of the North Sea Canal there is a major steel plant, Tata Steel IJmuiden, formerly known as Koninklijke Hoogovens (the town of IJmuiden is actually located south of the canal). The headquarters of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Redding Maatschappij is located in IJmuiden.
The Kennemerstrand beach on the south side of the canal is at the end of the Kennemerboulevard, which runs south of the Seaport Marina.
Population centres edit
The municipality of Velsen consists of the following cities, towns, villages and/or districts:
- on the north of the North Sea Canal:
- on the south of the North Sea Canal:
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Velsen, June 2015
In Velsen, there are the following connections across the North Sea Canal:
- A railway tunnel between the railway stations of Driehuis and Beverwijk.
- Road tunnels, from north to south:
- Wijker Tunnel
- Velser Tunnel next to the railway tunnel.
- A ferry
- A road across the lock complex
- Railway stations: Driehuis, Santpoort Noord, Santpoort Zuid
Local government edit
The municipal council of Velsen consists of 33 seats, which are divided now (2022) as follows:
Twin towns edit
Velsen is twinned with
Notable people edit
- Saint Engelmund of Velsen (died ca.739) an English-born missionary to Frisia
- Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Colclough Watson VC (1867 in Velsen – 1917) a recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Jan van der Hoeve (1878 in Santpoort – 1952) a Dutch ophthalmologist who described Waardenburg syndrome in 1916
- Karel Niessen (1895 in Velsen – 1967) a theoretical physicist, studied quantum mechanics
- Joop Doderer (1921 in Velsen – 2005) a Dutch actor who played Swiebertje
- Annie Palmen (1926 in IJmuiden – 2000) a singer, participated in the 1963 Eurovision Song Contest
- Hans de Boer (born 1937 in Velsen) a retired Dutch politician and former minister
- Cornelis Vreeswijk (1937 in IJmuiden – 1987) a Swedish singer-songwriter, poet and actor
- Pim Fortuyn (1948 in Driehuis – 2002) a controversial politician who was assassinated
- Jan Luiten van Zanden (born 1955 in IJmuiden) a Dutch economic historian and academic
- Peter Klashorst (born 1957 in Santpoort) a Dutch painter, sculptor and photographer
- Hans van de Ven (born 1958 in Velsen) an academic authority on the recent history of China
- Bernard Berkhout (born 1961 in Santpoort) a family doctor and a jazz clarinetist
- Franc Weerwind (born 1964) a Dutch politician, Mayor of Velsen 2009 to 2015
- Cees Krijnen (born 1969 in Velsen) a Dutch artist and a theatre actor
- Marie-José van der Kolk (born 1974 in IJmuiden), stage name Loona, a singer, songwriter and dancer
- Lenneke Ruiten (born 1984 in Velsen) a Dutch soprano
- Adriaan de Groot (1914 in Santpoort – 2006) a Dutch chess master and psychologist
- Gerrit Voorting (1923 in Velsen – 2015) a Dutch road cyclist, silver medallist at the 1948 Summer Olympics
- Ilja Keizer (born 1944 in IJmuiden) a retired middle-distance runner, competed at the 1968 and 1972 Summer Olympics
- Piet Huyg (1951–2019) a Dutch footballer, 349 club caps with HFC Haarlem
- Eltjo Schutter (born 1953 in Driehuis) a retired Dutch decathlete and gynaecologist, competed at the 1976 Summer Olympics
- Olga Commandeur (born 1958 in Velsen) track and field athlete, competed in the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Ingrid Haringa (born 1964 in Velsen) a police officer, former speed skater and racing cyclist
- Stella de Heij (born 1968 in Driehuis) a former field hockey goalkeeper, team bronze medallist at the 1996 Summer Olympics
- René Bot (born 1978 in Velsen) a retired footballer with 262 club caps with De Graafschap
- Ronny van Es (born 1978 in Velsen) a Dutch retired footballer with 380 club caps
- Linda Bolder (born 1988 in Velserbroek) a Dutch-born Israeli Olympic judoka
- Joël Veltman (born 1992 in IJmuiden) a Dutch professional footballer with 160 caps with AFC Ajax
Santpoort - panoramio
- "Waarnemend burgemeester A.E. Koopmanschap" [Interim Mayor A.E. Koopmanschap] (in Dutch). Gemeente Velsen. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 1971EN". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2021. Retrieved 2 January 2022.
- Image of Roman Flevum
- Boffey, Daniel (December 26, 2021). "Large Roman fort built by Caligula discovered near Amsterdam". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 December 2021.
- IMDb Database retrieved 11 December 2019
- IMDb Database retrieved 12 December 2019
- IMDb Database retrieved 11 December 2019