Velká Bíteš (until 1924 Velká Byteš) is a town in Žďár nad Sázavou District in the Vysočina Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 5,200 inhabitants. The historic town centre is well preserved and is protected by law as an urban monument zone.
|District||Žďár nad Sázavou|
|• Mayor||Milan Vlček|
|• Total||47.30 km2 (18.26 sq mi)|
|Elevation||476 m (1,562 ft)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
594 53, 595 01
Villages of Bezděkov, Březka, Holubí Zhoř, Jáchymov, Janovice, Jestřabí, Jindřichov, Košíkov, Ludvíkov and Pánov are administrative parts of Velká Bíteš. Pánov forms an exclave of the municipal territory.
The first written mention of Velká Bíteš is from 1240, when the church was mentioned. The settlement was founded in the first half of the 13th century. In the mid-14th century, it was a market town and in 1408, it was promoted to a town.
The greatest development occurred after the Hussite Wars, but the town was severely damaged during the Thirty Years' War and recovered slowly. Velká Bíteš was not industrialized until 1950, when a large engineering company was founded. Thanks to this, the population increased significantly.
The largest employers based in the town are ITW PRONOVIA, manufacturer of plastic products for the automotive industry, and První Brněnská Strojírna Velká Bíteš, manufacturer of aerospace technologies.
Velká Bíteš is located by the D1 motorway.
Velká Bíteš is known for the unique fortified Church of Sain John the Baptist. The original wooden structure was replaced by a stone Romanesque church in the 13th century. In the 15th century, it was surrounded by stone ramparts with an entrance tower.
Twin towns – sister citiesEdit
- "Population of Municipalities – 1 January 2022". Czech Statistical Office. 2022-04-29.
- "Kostel sv. Jana Křtitele" (in Czech). ICKK Velká Bíteš. Retrieved 2021-11-04.
- "Stručná historie Velké Bíteše" (in Czech). ICKK Velká Bíteš. Retrieved 2021-11-04.
- "Historický lexikon obcí České republiky 1869–2011 – Okres Žďár nad Sázavou" (in Czech). Czech Statistical Office. 2015-12-21. pp. 19–20.
- "Population Census 2021: Population by sex". Public Database. Czech Statistical Office. 2021-03-27.
- "About Us". ITW PRONOVIA, s.r.o. Retrieved 2021-11-04.
- "About PBS". PBS Group, a. s. Retrieved 2021-11-04.
- "Partnerská města" (in Czech). Město Velká Bíteš. Retrieved 2021-11-04.