Valyettan (English: Elder brother) is a 2000 Indian Malayalam-language action drama film directed by Shaji Kailas and scripted by Ranjith. It stars Mammootty, Shobana, Sai Kumar, N. F. Varghese, Siddique and Manoj K Jayan.  It was remade in Kannada as Jyeshta by director Suresh Krissna with Vishnuvardhan in the lead role.The film was a commercial hit.
|Directed by||Shaji Kailas|
|Produced by||Anil Ambalakkara |
|Edited by||L. Bhoominathan|
|Music by||Rajamani |
Arakkal Kuttikrishnan Nair (Kozhikode Narayanan Nair) loses the civil case against Arakkal Madhavanunni (Mammootty), his nephew, and has to give up the ancestral home, which he has been holding illegally for past long years. Patteri Sivaraman (Sai Kumar), son of Kuttikrishnan Nair, takes it as a prestige issue and decides to finish out Madhavanunni, with the help of Nedungadi (Bheeman Raghu), his trusted lieutenant. Sivaraman has a deep hatred and enmity towards Madhavanuni since childhood and both had involved in several fist fights from then. Nedungadi sends Varoli Abu (Kollam Ajith) to shoot down either Madhavanunni or one among his brothers on their arrival at the house. But the timely intervention of Madhavanunni saves all. Madhavanunni is a self made rich businessman, who owns several properties inside and outside Kerala. After the suicide of his parents, he alone had taken care of his younger brothers Raghu (Siddique), Dasan (adopted brother) (Manoj K. Jayan), Appu (Vijayakumar) and Shankaran Kutty (Sudheesh), who all love and respect more him than anything on this world. Ramankutty Kaimal (Innocent), their well wisher and the old caretaker of their property also enjoys a good relationship with Madhavanunni. Appu, at his college, is harassed by Subair (Irshad), the younger brother of Mambaram Bava Haji (N. F. Varghese), a rival of Madhavanunni. With the help of Kattipalli Pappan (Kalabhavan Mani), a notorious criminal, he thrashes him out, but dies accidentally. Appu gets arrested for the murder, but is released on bail. Kattipalli Pappan is arrested for the murder, who while going to jail requests Madhavanuni to take care of his sister Lakshmi (Poornima Mohan), which Madhavanuni accepts. Madhavanunni brings Lakshmi to his home and is treated as a member of their family. Mambaram Bawa Haji is now looking for a chance to avenge Madhavanunni for his brother's death. Patteri Sivaraman lends a helping hand to Bawa Haji. One day Lakshmi is found dead at the pond and Dasan is arrested for it and later, Raghu surrenders for the same to save Dasan. Upon release from jail, Pappan is back to kill Raghu for murdering his sister. But he later comes to know that it is not Raghu, but Patteri Shivaraman, behind the crime. The rest of the story is how Madhavanunni gets back at Shivaraman once and for all.
- Mammootty as Arakkal Madhavanunni
- Shobana as Devi, Madhavanunni's wife
- Sai Kumar as Patteri Sivaraman Nair
- N. F. Varghese as Mambaram Bava Haji
- Siddique as Raghu, Madhavanunni's younger brother
- Manoj K. Jayan as Dasan, Madhavanunni's adopted brother
- Sudheesh as Shankaran Kutty, Madhavanunni's younger brother
- Vijayakumar as Appu, Madhavanunni's youngest brother
- Innocent as Ramankutty Kaimal, Dasan's father
- Kalabhavan Mani as Kattipalli Pappan
- Poornima Mohan as Lakshmi, Pappan's Sister
- Captain Raju as DYSP Mohammed Ilias, Madhavanunni's friend
- Sukumari as Kunjikavamma
- Augustine as Gangadharan
- Kozhikode Narayanan Nair as Arakkal Kuttikrishnan Nair, Sivaraman's father and Madhavanunni's uncle
- Bheeman Raghu as Nedungadi
- V. K. Sreeraman as Soopi Haji
- G. K. Pillai as S.P Purushothaman
- Sadiq as Advocate Bharathan Marar
- Subair as S.I Ajith Kumar
- Irshad as Subair, Bava's brother
- Ponnamma Babu as Bava's Wife
- Ramu as C.I Chandramohan
- Kunchan as Chathunni
- Valsala Menon as Sivaraman's mother
- Biyon as Young Madhavanunni
- Arun Kumar as Young Shankaran Kutty
- Ajith Kollam as Marodi Abu
- Thalapathy Dinesh as Goonda
- Yamuna as Sivaraman's wife
- Dhanya Menon as Thankamani
- Meena Ganesh as Chathunni's wife
- Santhakumari as Ajith Kumar's mother
- Remadevi as Vilasini Teacher
- Haseena Bhanu as Dancer in the song Sivamallipoo pozhikkum
- Nizzar as Soopi Haji's Daughter's Love interest
The film was released in Kerala on 10 September 2000.
|1.||"Arupathu Thiriyitta" (Male)||K. J. Yesudas|
|2.||"Arupathu Thiriyitta" (Female)||K. S. Chitra|
|3.||"Kannilambum Villum"||M. G. Sreekumar, Afsal|
|4.||"Niranaazhi Ponnil"||M. G. Sreekumar, Choir|
|5.||"Nettimele Pottittaalum" (Duet)||K. J. Yesudas, K. S. Chitra|
|6.||"Nettimele Pottittaalum" (Female)||K. S. Chitra|
|7.||"Nettimele Pottittaalum" (Male)||K. J. Yesudas|
|8.||"Shivamallippoo Pozhikkum"||K. S. Chitra|
|9.||"Smaraami Vaishnavachaarumoorthe"||P. Jayachandran|
- "Mammootty blacklists Shaji Kailas?". 24 November 2004. Archived from the original on 1 July 2016.
- "Portrayal of tones of grey". The Hindu. 18 November 2005. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
Valyettan, which went on to become an average hit
- "Sleaze time, folks!". Rediff.com. 1 January 2000. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- Movies list - Vishnuvardhan
- Joseph Alexander (11 January 2001). "Soft-porn films add to financial woes of Malayalam filmdom". Rediff.com.
- "The show must surely go on..." The New Indian Express. 7 June 2020.