|• Mayor||Werner Walser|
|• Total||14.49 km2 (5.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||560 m (1,840 ft)|
|• Density||890/km2 (2,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (Central European Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (Central European Summer Time)|
|Surrounded by||Jonschwil, Oberbüren, Oberuzwil, Wil, Zuzwil|
Uzwil was first mentioned in 819 as Uzzinwilare. The village of Henau was first mentioned 754 as Villa Aninauva at the Monastery of St. Gallen in the "Henau document" (Henauer Urkunde).
Uzwil has an area, as of 2006[update], of 14.5 km2 (5.6 sq mi). Of this area, 53.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 17.9% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 26.8% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (1.7%) is non-productive (rivers or lakes).
Coat of armsEdit
Uzwil has a population (as of 31 December 2019) of 13,129. As of 2007[update], about 25.1% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Of the foreign population, (as of 2000[update]), 198 are from Germany, 400 are from Italy, 1,587 are from ex-Yugoslavia, 74 are from Austria, 202 are from Turkey, and 270 are from another country. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 7.7%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (86.2%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 4.3%) and Albanian being third ( 3.0%). Of the Swiss national languages (as of 2000[update]), 10,321 speak German, 45 people speak French, 310 people speak Italian, and 21 people speak Romansh.
The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Uzwil is; 1,558 children or 13.0% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 1,688 teenagers or 14.1% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 1,483 people or 12.4% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 1,870 people or 15.6% are between 30 and 39, 1,754 people or 14.6% are between 40 and 49, and 1,440 people or 12.0% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 1,002 people or 8.4% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 719 people or 6.0% are between 70 and 79, there are 392 people or 3.3% who are between 80 and 89, and there are 69 people or 0.6% who are between 90 and 99, and 2 people who are 100 or more.
In 2000[update] there were 1,334 persons (or 11.1% of the population) who were living alone in a private dwelling. There were 2,635 (or 22.0%) persons who were part of a couple (married or otherwise committed) without children, and 6,936 (or 57.9%) who were part of a couple with children. There were 575 (or 4.8%) people who lived in single parent home, while there are 64 persons who were adult children living with one or both parents, 24 persons who lived in a household made up of relatives, 96 who lived in a household made up of unrelated persons, and 313 who are either institutionalized or live in another type of collective housing.
In Uzwil about 67.5% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Out of the total population in Uzwil, as of 2000[update], the highest education level completed by 2,754 people (23.0% of the population) was Primary, while 4,328 (36.1%) have completed their secondary education, 1,207 (10.1%) have attended a Tertiary school, and 548 (4.6%) are not in school. The remainder did not answer this question.
Heritage sites of national significanceEdit
As of 2007[update], Uzwil had an unemployment rate of 2.58%. As of 2005[update], there were 141 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 50 businesses involved in this sector. 4,126 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 101 businesses in this sector. 2,179 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 307 businesses in this sector.
As of October 2009[update] the average unemployment rate was 5.0%. There were 451 businesses in the municipality of which 104 were involved in the secondary sector of the economy while 303 were involved in the third.
The largest company in Uzwil is Bühler AG.
From the 2000 census[update], 5,446 or 45.5% are Roman Catholic, while 3,521 or 29.4% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there is 1 individual who belongs to the Christian Catholic faith, there are 552 individuals (or about 4.61% of the population) who belong to the Orthodox Church, and there are 357 individuals (or about 2.98% of the population) who belong to another Christian church. There are 887 (or about 7.41% of the population) who are Islamic. There are 82 individuals (or about 0.68% of the population) who belong to another church (not listed on the census), 776 (or about 6.48% of the population) belong to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 355 individuals (or about 2.96% of the population) did not answer the question.
- Marcelle Bühler (1913 in Uzwil – 2002) a Swiss alpine skier, competed in the 1936 Winter Olympics
- Heidi Wunderli-Allenspach (born 1947 in Niederuzwil) Swiss biologist and first women rektor of ETH Zurich
- Marcel Niederer (born 1960) a Swiss entrepreneur and former ice hockey player, brought up in Uzwil
- Ralph Stöckli (born 1976 in Uzwil) a Swiss curler, competed in the 2006 Winter Olympics
- Ivan Martić (born 1990 in Uzwil) a Swiss–Croatian professional footballer, over 200 club caps
- Kevin Fiala (born 1996), Swiss hockey player in the National Hockey League
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 20-January-2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 20-January-2010
- "Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit". bfs.admin.ch (in German). Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB. 31 December 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- Der Kanton St. Gallen und seine Menschen in Zahlen - Ausgabe 2009 (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- Canton St. Gallen Statistics-Hauptergebnisse der Volkszählung 2000: Regionen- und Gemeindevergleich-Personen Archived October 3, 2009, at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance Archived 2009-05-01 at the Wayback Machine 21.11.2008 version, (in German) accessed 20-Jan-2010
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Unemployment (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Businesses Archived July 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 31 December 2009
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Commuters Archived July 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 31 December 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Uzwil.|
- www.uzwil.ch (in German)