Tyson Beckford (born December 19, 1970) is an American model and actor best known as a Ralph Lauren Polo model. He was also the host of both seasons of the Bravo program Make Me a Supermodel. Beckford has been described as the most successful male supermodel of all time, achieving fame and huge contracts similar to the female models that had huge success in the 1990s. In 2014, Vogue Magazine named Beckford the greatest male model of all time.
Tyson Beckford at FashionWeekLive in San Francisco, March 15, 2007
|Born||December 19, 1970|
Rochester, New York, U.S.
|Residence||Miami, Florida, U.S.|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
Beckford was born in Rochester, New York on December 19, 1970 to a Chinese-Jamaican mother, Hillary Dixon Hall and Afro-Jamaican father of Panamanian descent, Lloyd Beckford. Soon after he was born, his mother took the family back to Jamaica, where they lived for seven years before returning to New York, finally settling in The Bronx. During his school years, Tyson was often teased about his looks.
In 1992, he was recruited to hip hop magazine The Source by a talent scout, Jeff Jones, who has been credited with 'discovering' Beckford in New York City. In 1993, Beckford was recruited by Ralph Lauren as the front model for the company's Polo line of male sportswear.
Beckford was named "Man of the Year" in 1995 by the cable television music channel VH1 and one of the "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" by People magazine. He is represented by Soul Artist Management in New York City and D'management Group in Milan. He was ranked at #38 on VH1's 40 Hottest Hotties of the '90s.
In 2003, he appeared on the ABC network's celebrity reality game show I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!. In September 2008, he supported the National RESPECT! Campaign against domestic violence, recording a voice message for the Giverespect.org Web site, speaking about the importance of respect for others.
Beckford co-hosted the modeling contest Make Me a Supermodel on the television channel Bravo with fellow supermodel Niki Taylor. The show chose Nicole Trunfio to join Beckford as a mentor to the model contestants for the show's second season. Other judges included designer Catherine Malandrino, model Jenny Shimizu, photographer Perou and model scout Marlon.
Beckford judged and mentored the contestants of the first few episodes of the Australian version of Make Me a Supermodel with model and former Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins. In 2012, he participated in Fox's dating game show The Choice.
He is one of the hosts for the Anglo-Irish version of Next Top Model.
On June 7, 2005, Beckford was injured following a car accident in Secaucus, New Jersey. Shortly before 5:00am, he lost control of his 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 and struck a utility pole. The vehicle caught fire immediately after the collision, but Beckford was able to pull himself out before the red pick-up became fully engulfed in flames. He was taken to the Jersey City Medical Center and hospitalized for head trauma and cuts. During an interview on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Tyson claimed the accident had a profound effect on his spirituality.
Beckford has a son, Jordan Beckford (born in 1998), from a previous relationship with celebrity stylist April Roomet, who appears on the E! Television program Candy Girls. Beckford is an Ambassador for the non-profit Kick 4 Life, an organization that uses the power of soccer to engage vulnerable youth in holistic care and support in Lesotho, southern Africa.
|2002||Trois 2: Pandora's Box||Lance Racine|
|2002||Gully||Man / Prisoner|
|2005||Searching for Bobby D||Jerome|
|2005||Into the Blue||Primo|
|2007||Kings of the Evening||Homer Hobbs|
|2014||Sharon Leal: Giant|
|2015||Chocolate City||Adrian 'Rude Boy'|
|2002||My Wife and Kids||Hunter, 2 episodes|
|2003||Half & Half||Sexy Guy, 1 episode|
|2005||Video on Trial||Motorcyclist, episode #1.7|
|2019||Huge in France||Himself|
|1993||"Breathe Again"||Toni Braxton|
|1993||"Go West"||Pet Shop Boys|
|1994||"Slow Down"||Trisha Covington|
|1995||"My Up and Down"||Adina Howard|
|1995||"One More Chance"||The Notorious B.I.G.|
|1996||"Unbreak My Heart"||Toni Braxton|
|1997||"Anywhere You Want"||Simbi Khali|
|1998||"Horse and Carriage"||Cam'ron|
|1998||"What'cha Wanna Do?"||Mia X|
|1998||"The Way It's Going Down"||Shaq|
|1998||"Raise the Roof"||Luke|
|2003||"21 Questions"||50 Cent|
|2003||"Act a Fool"||Ludacris|
|2003||"Say How I Feel"||Rhian Benson|
|2007||"China Wine"||Sun aka Geisha|
|2008||"How It Was Supposed to Be"||Ryan Leslie|
|2008||"Go Hard"||DJ Khaled|
|2014||"With Your Love"||Yola Araujo|
- "Vogue.com's Top 10 Male Models of All Time".
- "BEST Tyson Beckford Model Bio: Chinese Ethnicity, Parents, Mother, Father Lloyd, Nationality, Age, Height". Arogundade.
- "Tyson Beckford’s Workout Regimen for the Runway" Archived 2015-05-28 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 28 May 2015
- "Tyson Beckford - Profile". Models.com. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- Notedguys.com Archived 2009-10-06 at the Wayback Machine
- "Send a celebrity voice message". GiveRespect.org. September 2008.
- Nguyen, Hanh. "'Make Me a Supermodel' Returns With Tyson, New Judges". Zap2it. Retrieved 7 Jan 2009.
- Hibberd, James (May 8, 2012). "Fox's 'The Choice' cast revealed! Joe Jonas, Dean Cain, The Situation, many more -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Associated Press (June 7, 2005). "Tyson Beckford injured in New Jersey truck accident". USA Today. Retrieved 23 Sep 2007.
- "Beckford Sobs As He Recalls Car Blaze". Contact Music. October 21, 2005. Retrieved December 15, 2013.
- Weiner, Jonah (June 2005). "Miss Thing". Blender. Retrieved July 3, 2007.
Edgewater, New Jersey — home to Tyson Beckford
- "Candy Girls". EOnline. Retrieved 16 Feb 2013.
- "TV Stylist Reveals Beckford Is Her Son's Father". Retrieved 8 June 2009.