Tom Taylor (writer)
Tom Taylor (born 29 November 1978) is a #1 New York Times bestselling comic book author, playwright and screenwriter. He is best known for his work on the DC Comics series Injustice: Gods Among Us and DCeased, Marvel's All-New Wolverine, X-Men Red and Superior Iron Man and his many Star Wars works. He is the co-creator, head writer and Executive Producer of the CG animated series The Deep based on his graphic novel series of the same name.
|Born||29 November 1978|
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|The Deep (Animated Series)|
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Superior Iron Man
Star Wars: Blood Ties
|Awards||Winner 'Aurealis Award for Best illustrated book/graphic novel'|
'Winner 'Stan Lee Excelsior Award'
'Best Dramatic Writing' Short and Sweet
Tom Taylor was born in Melbourne, Australia.
Taylor has written X-Men: Red, All-New Wolverine and Hunt for Wolverine Adamantium Agenda for Marvel comics, along with Justice League/Power Rangers and Injustice 2 for DC Comics. He has also written Batman/Superman, Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion and Superior Iron Man.
Taylor is the creator, with James Brouwer, of the all-ages adventure graphic novels The Deep: Here Be Dragons and its sequel The Vanishing Island published by Gestalt Publishing and Boom Studios. The Deep was optioned by Technicolor. 52 episodes have screened of the CG animated series, so far, across three seasons, with Taylor serving as co-creator/head writer.
In 2012, The Deep: Here Be Dragons won the Aurealis Award for Best illustrated book/graphic novel, Australia's premier speculative fiction literary award. The sequel, The Vanishing Island, won the award again in 2014.
Performing and writing for theatre and musicals from the age of fourteen, Tom's works have been produced across four continents. His plays have won a number of awards and accolades including winning the award for 'Best Dramatic Writing' in Short and Sweet – The world's largest short play festival.
Taylor is well known for his many Star Wars comics and graphic novels for Dark Horse Comics. These include, Star Wars: Blood Ties with artist Chris Scalf, and Star Wars: Invasion, with illustrator Colin Wilson. April 2012 saw the start of Taylor and Scalf's new Blood Ties series provocatively titled Boba Fett is Dead as reported by CNN. Taylor is also the writer of the Darth Maul: Death Sentence miniseries, which is set immediately after the end of the fourth Clone Wars television series.
Star Wars: Blood Ties won the 2012 'Stan Lee Excelsior Award' as voted for by thousands of school students across the UK.
Taylor wrote the graphic novella, Star Wars Adventures: Luke Skywalker and the Treasure of the Dragonsnakes which shows a never before seen story of Luke Skywalker training with Yoda on Dagobah during The Empire Strikes Back. Taylor also penned Star Wars Adventures: The Will of Darth Vader Randy Stradley, Dark Horse Vice President, says Tom Taylor has taken to writing comics faster than anyone he's ever seen.
Taylor also wrote The Authority, published under the Wildstorm imprint, starting with issue #22 in May 2010 until the end of the Wildstorm imprint. He also wrote The Brainiac / Sinestro Corps war storyline in the pages of DC Universe Online: Legends, a Batman story with artist Nicola Scott and Rose and Thorn with artist Neil Googe.
- Hellblazer: Rise and Fall #1 - #3 (with art by Darick Robertson, DC Comics, 2020)
- DCeased: Hope at World's End #1 - #14 (with art by various, DC Comics, 2020)
- The Joker 80th Anniversary #1 (with art by Eduardo Risso, DC Comics, 2020)
- DCeased: Unkillables Issues #1 - #3 (with art by Karl Mosert, DC Comics, 2020)
- Aquaman Giant #3 (with art by Pop Mhan, DC Comics, 2020)
- Detective Comics #1017 (with art by Fernando Blanco, DC Comics, 2019)
- Suicide Squad #1 - (with art by Bruno Redondo, DC Comics, 2019-2020)
- DCeased issues #1 - #6 (with art by Trevor Hairsine, DC Comics, 2019, ISBN 9781401294403)
- Year of the Villain: Black Mask (with art by Cully Hamner, DC Comics, 2019)
- DCeased: A Good Day to Die #1 (with art by Laura Braga and Darick Robertson, DC Comics, 2019)
- DC Villains Giant (with art by Daniel Sampere), DC Comics, 2019)
- Injustice 2 Chapters #1 - #72 (with art by Bruno Redondo, DC Comics, 2017-2018)
- Batman Annual #3 (with art by Otto Schmidt, DC Comics, 2018)
- Batman Secret Files #1 (with art by Brad Walker, DC Comics, 2018)
- DC Nuclear Winter Special #1 (DC Comics, 2018)
- Justice League/Power Rangers Issues #1 - #6 (with art by Stephen Byrne, DC Comics, 2017, ISBN 978-1401272005)
- Batman/Superman issues #28 – #30 (with Art by Robson Rocha, DC Comics, 2016)
- Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion Issues #1 – #6 (DC Comics, 2016)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Annual #4 (with Art by Bruno Redondo, DC Comics, 2015)
- Injustice: Year Three Chapters #1 – #14 (with Art by Bruno Redondo, Mike S. Miller, and various, DC Comics, 2014–2015)
- Earth-2 Issues #17 – #29 (with Art by Nicola Scott, DC Comics, 2013–2014)
- Injustice: Year Two Chapters #1 – #24 (with Art by Bruno Redondo, Mike S. Miller, Tom Derenick, and various), DC Comics, 2014)
- Earth-2 Annual #2 (with Art by Robson Rocha, DC Comics, 2014)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Chapters #1 – #36 (with Art by Jheremy Rapaack and various, DC Comics, 2013, ISBN 978-1401245009)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Annual #1 (with Art by Xermanico, Mike S Miller and Bruno Redondo), DC Comics, 2013)
- Batman Legends of the Dark Knight – The Crime Never Committed (with Art by Nicola Scott), DC Comics, 2012)
- Rose and Thorn (with art by Neil Googe, DC Comics, 2012)
- DC Universe Online: Legends – The Brainiac/Sinestro Corps War (With art by Bruno Redondo, DC Comics, 2011)
- Immortal Hulk: Great Power (with art by Jorge Molina, 2020)
- Free Comic Book Day: X-Men (with Art by Iban Coello, 2020)
- Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Issues 1–14 (with art by Juann Cabal, 2019)
- War of the Realms: Strikeforce - Land of Giants (with art by Jorge Molina, 2019)
- Free Comic Book Day: Spider-Man (with Art by Cory Smith, 2019)
- X-Men Red Issues 1–11 (with art by Mahmud Asrar, 2018)
- Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda Issues 1–4 (with art by R.B. Silva, 2018)
- All-New Wolverine #1-35
- All-New Wolverine The Four Sisters - Collects All-New Wolverine #1–6 (with art by David López, 2015) ISBN 978-0785196525
- All-New Wolverine Civil War II - Collects All-New Wolverine #7–12 (with art by Marcio Takara and Ig Guara, 2016) ISBN 978-0785196532
- All-New Wolverine Enemy of the State II - Collects All-New Wolverine #13–18 (with art by Nik Virella and Djibril Morissete-Phan, 2017) ISBN 978-1302902902
- All-New Wolverine Immune - Collects All-New Wolverine #19–24 (with art by Leonard Kirk, 2018) ISBN 978-1302909352
- All-New Wolverine Annual (with art by Marcio Takara, 2016)
- All-New Wolverine Orphans of X - Collects All-New Wolverine #25–30 (with art by Juann Cabal, 2018) ISBN 978-1302905613
- All-New Wolverine Old Woman Laura - Collects All-New Wolverine #31-35
- Generations: The Best (with art by Ramon Rosanas, 2017)
- Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Rey (2019)
- Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Kylo Ren (2019)
- Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Poe Dameron (2019)
- Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Hux (2019)
- Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Finn (2019)
- Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Snoke (2019)
- Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Rose Tico (2019)
- X-Men Red Annual (with art by Pascal Alixe, 2018)
- Superior Iron Man Issues #1 – #9 (with art by Yıldıray Çınar, 2014–2015)
- Secret Wars: Agents of Atlas Issue #1 (with art by Steve Pugh, 2015)
Dark Horse ComicsEdit
- Star Wars: Darth Maul – Death Sentence (with art by Bruno Redondo, Dark Horse Comics, 2012)
- Star Wars: Blood Ties – Boba Fett is Dead (with art by Chris Scalf, Dark Horse Comics, 2012)
- Star Wars: Invasion Volume 3: Revelations (with art by Colin Wilson, Dark Horse Comics, 2012, ISBN 1-59582-882-6)
- Star Wars: Invasion Volume 2: Rescues (with art by Colin Wilson, Dark Horse Comics, 2011, ISBN 1-59582-630-0)
- Star Wars Adventures: The Will of Darth Vader (Dark Horse Comics, 2010, ISBN 978-1-59582-435-6)
- Star Wars: Blood Ties – a tale of Jango and Boba Fett (with art by Chris Scalf, Dark Horse Comics, 2010, ISBN 1-59582-627-0)
- Star Wars Adventures: Luke Skywalker and The Treasure of the Dragonsnakes (with art by Da Xiong, Dark Horse Comics, 2010, ISBN 1-59582-347-6)
- Star Wars: Invasion Volume 1: Refugees (with art by Colin Wilson, Dark Horse Comics, 2009, ISBN 1-59582-479-0)
- The Deep: The Vanishing Island (With art by James Brouwer, Gestalt Publishing, 2013, ISBN 978-1-922023-05-6)
- The Deep: Here Be Dragons (With art by James Brouwer, Gestalt Publishing, 2011, ISBN 0-9807823-4-1)
- The Example (with art by Colin Wilson, Gestalt Publishing, 2009, ISBN 0-9775628-4-0)
- Flinch (with art by Tom Bonin and Colin Wilson, Gestalt Publishing, 2009, ISBN 0-9775628-3-2)
- Rombies (art by Skye Ogden, Gestalt Publishing, 2009, ISBN 0-9775628-8-3)
- Brief Cases (Various artists, Gestalt Publishing, 2012)
- Seven Secrets (With art by Daniele Di Nicuolo, Boom! Studios, 2020)
- Power Rangers Annual (With art by Dan Mora, Boom! Studios, 2017)
- The Deep 1-6 (reprint) (With art by James Brouwer, Boom! Studios, 2017)
- Rocketeer Adventures – Work To Do (with art by Colin Wilson, IDW Publishing, 2012)
- Jinnrise #3 (with art by Mark Torres, IDW Publishing, 2013)
- Tharg's 3rillers: 15 (with art by Jon Davis-Hunt, 2000 AD #1797–1799, 2012)
Film and televisionEdit
Season 2 was confirmed and began airing on CBBC in July, 2017.
Taylor wrote a short film adaptation of The Example which was optioned and filmed by Staple Fiction in 2011. It screened at Film Festivals around the world.
Taylor's award-winning short musical A4 to A3 (written with Simon Barlow) was filmed by Bravada Films in 2009, for which Taylor also wrote the screenplay. A4 to A3 premiered at the Newport Beach Film Festival on 29 April 2010.
Awards and nominationsEdit
- 2019 Shadow Award for Best Graphic Novel (for DCeased)
- 2018 Ledger Award (for Injustice 2)
- 2017 Goldener Spatz (Golden Sparrow) Award (for The Deep)
- 2017 Kidscreen 'Best New Series Award' (for The Deep)
- 2014 IGN 'Best Digital Series' (for Injustice: Gods Among Us)
- 2014 IGN 'People's Choice Award' (for Injustice: Gods Among Us)
- 2013 Winner 'Aurealis Award' for Best illustrated book/graphic novel' (for The Deep: The Vanishing Island)
- 2013 IGN 'People's Choice Award for Best Digital Series' (for Injustice: Gods Among Us)
- 2012 Winner 'Stan Lee Excelsior Award' (for Star Wars: Blood Ties)
- 2012 Winner 'Aurealis Award for Best illustrated book/graphic novel' (for The Deep: Here Be Dragons)
- 2007 Winner Short, Sweet and Song People's Choice Award – 'A4 2 A3' Short, Sweet and Song – Sydney AUS 2007
- 2005 Winner 'Best Dramatic Writing' Short and Sweet – (For 'The Example')
- 2019 BAFTA AWARD 'Best International Animation' (for The Deep)
- 2019 IGN 'Best Limited Comic Book or Miniseries' (for DCeased))
- 2017 IGN 'Best Comic Book Writer'
- 2017 IGN 'Best Comic Book Series' (for All-New Wolverine)
- 2017 IGN 'Best New Series' (for Injustice 2)
- 2017 IGN 'Best Limited Comic Book or Miniseries' (for Justice League/Power Rangers)
- 2016 Australian Writer's Guild Industry Award for best Children's Television (for The Deep – Episode Five – Devil's Sea Mystery)
- 2016 AACTA Award for Best Children's Television Series (for The Deep)
- 2015 Australian Writer's Guild Industry Award for best Children's Television (for The Deep – Episode Four – Digging Deeper)
- 2009 Diamond Gem Award (for Star Wars: Invasion)
- Finalist – 2008 Bite-Size UK International Playwriting Competition (for A Short Play for a Competition)
- 2008 Short and Sweet – Nominated for Best Comedy Script and Best Production (for Falling, Praying)
- Finalist 2005 'Write Now' National Young Playwright Award -(for My Month as a Member)
- THE EXAMPLE
- Sydney Opera House (Sydney AUS 2006)
- Edinburgh Festival (Edinburgh, Scotland 2008)
- The Edge Performing Arts Centre (Auckland, New Zealand 2010)
- The Esplanade (Singapore 2006)
- Brighton Festival Fringe (Brighton England 2006)
- Brisbane Powerhouse (QLD AUS 2008)
- Melbourne Arts Centre (Melbourne AUS 2005)
- Seymour Centre (Sydney AUS 2006)
- Araluen Arts Centre (Alice Springs N.T. 2008)
- Darwin Entertainment Centre Darwin Australia 2008
- Cairns Civic Theatre (QLD Australia 2008)
- Rockhampton Performing Arts Centre QLD AUS 2008
- Canberra Theatre Centre (ACT AUS 2008)
- Stratton Players (Boston USA 2007)
- Newtown Theatre (Sydney AUS 2009)
- Carlton Courthouse (Melbourne Aus 2008)
- FALLING PRAYING
- Bite Size Theatre (Brighton England 2007)
- Newtown Theatre (Sydney AUS 2007)
- Fairfax Theatre, Melbourne Arts Centre (Melbourne, Australia 2007)
- Newtown Theatre (Sydney AUS 2007)
- MYSTERY FLIGHT
- Chapel Off Chapel (Melbourne, Australia 2009)
- A4 2 A3 (with Simon Barlow)
- National Institute of Dramatic Art (Sydney AUS 2007)
- CITY HEAD
- Melbourne Trades Hall Melbourne AUS 2007
- The BDP Ensemble (Brisbane AUS 2006)
- MY MONTH AS A MEMBER
- Old Fitzroy Hotel Theatre (Sydney AUS 2005)
- THE RATINGS WAR (With Daniel Hall and Simon Barlow)
- CANDIDATE (With Daniel Hall, Simon Barlow and Joe Guiton)
- HARD RUBBISH WEEK (Script coordinator)
- The Athenaeum Theatre (Melbourne AUS 2003)
- "'The Deep' Renewed for Second Season at Netflix". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "MTV Geek – DC Comics' 'Earth 2' Gets A New Writer From 'Injustice: Gods Among Us' [EXCLUSIVE]". MTV Geek.
- "The Deep reels in Nerd Corps as co-production partner".
- "Arts News, Commentary, Reviews & Industry Analysis – ArtsHub Australia". artshub.com.au.
- "Starwars.com". Archived from the original on 16 May 2010.
- NYCC: Tom Taylor Leads "Star Wars: Invasion", Comic Book Resources, 7 February 2009
- "Beloved bounty hunter Boba Fett is dead – but who killed him? – GeekOut". CNN.
- "NYCC ' 09 – Dark Horse's Star Wars Panel". Newsarama.com.
- DC Comics Solicitations for May 2010, Comic Book Resources, 16 February 2010
- "Gestalt Comics". gestaltcomics.com.
- "All-New Wolverine Vol. 2: Civil War II (Trade Paperback)". Marvel Entertainment.
- "Technicolor, Nerd Corps Partner on 'The Deep'". Animation World Network.
- "With Netflix's "The Deep," Tom Taylor Dives into All-Ages Animated Adventure". CBR.
- "Injustice & Wolverine writer Tom Taylor joins the Cleverman writers room". 30 July 2017.
- "Newsphotos". newsphotos.com.au.
- "Short Sweet+Song is back!". australianstage.com.au.
- Tom Taylor at Twitter
- Tom Taylor on IMDb
- Tom Taylor Author Page at Amazon.com
- Official website
- Tom Taylor entry at doollee.com
- How Tom Taylor's Injustice Beat DC Comics' Movies at Their Own Game GQ
- Meet Tom Taylor. He May Just Have The Best Job In The World The Sydney Morning Herald
- Writer Tom Taylor on his 'Injustice' Comics, Wonder Woman Rolling Stone
- Batman, X-Men Red, and the Superpower of Empathy in Tom Taylor’s Comics The A.V. Club
- Boom Studios Sets 'Seven Secrets' for August The Hollywood Reporter
- NYCC: Tom Taylor Leads "Star Wars: Invasion". CBR.com
- In A Superhero Free World, The Australian
- The Undercover Fanboy Interviews Tom Taylor Undercover Fanboy
- The Theatre of Comics The Higher Authority
- The Fan Force The Age
| Iron Man writer
Brian Michael Bendis