The Deep (2015 TV series)
The Deep is an Australian/Canadian co-produced animated television series based on the comic book created by Tom Taylor and James Brouwer and published by Gestalt Comics. The series was optioned by Technicolor and produced by A Stark Production and the Canadian animation studio Nerd Corps Entertainment, a subsidiary of DHX Media. Commissed by ABC, it premiered on 7TWO on December 1, 2015 and began broadcasting in Canada the following month on Family Chrgd. Netflix acquired the U.S. SVOD rights to The Deep, and it began streaming in America on June 1, 2016  It also aired on Ici Radio-Canada Télé in Canada, and Universal Kids in the US.
|Directed by||Trent Carlson|
|Country of origin||Australia/Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||39 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
Nerd Corps Entertainment|
A Stark Production
Family Chrgd (Canada)|
|Original release||December 1, 2015– present|
It is set to be broadcast on CBBC (UK), RTS Deux (Switzerland), La Trois (Belgium), Ketnet (Belgium), NRK (Norway), DR (Denmark), SVT (Sweden) and YLE (Finland), Okto (Singapore) and Super RTL (Germany).
On February 8, 2018, DHX Media announced that the series has been renewed for a third season.
The series follows the Nekton family, a family of adventurous underwater explorers who live aboard a state-of-the-art submarine, the Aronnax, and explore unknown areas of the Earth's oceans to unravel the mysteries of the depths. The ancestors of the Nekton family died trying to solve the riddle of how to get to the lost city of Lemuria and refused to abandon it. Now, thanks to family friend Nereus, the Nektons know why they are so attracted to solving underwater riddles because they are the descendants of Lemurians.
The Nekton familyEdit
- Antaeus (Ant) Nekton (voiced by Vincent Tong)
- Fontaine Nekton (voiced by Ashleigh Ball)
- Will Nekton (voiced by Michael Dobson): Antaeus and Fontaine's father.
- Kaiko Nekton (voiced by Kathleen Barr): Antaeus and Fontaine's mother.
- Jeffrey is the Nekton's pet fish.
- Professor Fiction (voiced by James Higuchi): the Nekton's scientific adviser.
- Agnes De-Kretser (voiced by Saffron Henderson): an archeologist friend of the Nektons.
- Bob Gorman (voiced by Michael Kopsa): a close friend of the Nektons.
- Jess Gorman (voiced by Shannon Chan-Kent): the daughter of Bob Gorman, Fontaine's best friend, and the girl Ant has a crush on.
- Lester (voiced by Ian James Corlett): a mechanic who works for Professor Fiction.
- Griffin (voiced by Cole Howard): the son of Lester, and a friend of Ant's.
- Commander Pyrosome (voiced by Nicole Oliver): leader of the World Oceans authority.
- Kenji (voiced by Lee Tockar): a Japanese man who lives alone on an island.
- Nereus (voiced by Lee Tockar): an eccentric man who gives the Nektons vague advice on their search for Lemuria.
- Glaucus (voiced by Vincent Tong): another member of The Guardians.
- Tethys (voiced by Kathleen Barr): another member of The Guardians.
The Dark Orca
- Captain Hammerhead (voiced by Michael Dobson): Captain of the Dark Orca pirate crew. He is the Father of Smiling Finn and Mad Madeline.
- Smiling Finn (voiced by Samuel Vincent): Son of Captain Hammerhead and reluctant teen pirate. He has a crush on Fontaine.
- Mad Madeline (voiced by Kazumi Evans): Daughter of Captain Hammerhead and her father's pride and joy. She loves everything related to being a pirate and hates everything related to Ant and Jeffrey, making her Ant's rival.
- Danny Boy (voiced by Brian Drummond): First Mate of the Dark Orca pirate crew. He's terrified of Captain Hammerhead
- Proteus (voiced by Brian Drummond): a former member of The Guardians.
- Captain Marco is an ally to Proteus. He owns an icebreaker ship called Macintosh.
- Captain Hernandez betrayed the world oceans authority and stole a piece of the Ephemicron for Sebastian Conger.
- Sebastian Conger tries to capture the Ephemicron with the help of Captain Hernandez. He also stole the last example of a giant tortoise and valuable artworks from a shipwreck.
- Alpheus Benthos (voiced by Andrew Francis) who says Ant is destined to be his nemesis, he lives on a sub he built with an artificial intelligence.
- Devil Daniels (voiced by Trevor Devall): an internet-famous sea explorer that likes to antagonize the Nektons and get in the way of important missions. Daniel often hurts creatures to make them appear aggressive and will do anything to receive fame.
- Chadwick (voiced by Scott McNeil): a ship captain who wants to steal from the Nektons.
- Hickman (voiced by Cathy Weseluck): a weapons smuggler.
- Matilda Marshall (voiced by Diana Kaarina) : a kayaker.
|Title||Original air date|
|1||1||"Here Be Dragons"||January 1, 2016|
|After a mysterious sighting of a Sea Monster near a fishing village in Greenland, William Nekton, his wife Kaiko and their children Fontaine and Antaeus, a family of Underwater Explorers, decide to check out this story. Having found a missing fishing boat and a giant tooth wedged in it, Ant, in the 'White Knight' (a mechanical underwater dive suit), they discover the sea monster, which turns out to be a Plesiosaurus, then head for the village, where they are contacted by a man known as Nereus about a secret that this 'Dragon' guards. Curious about this info and the secret, The Nektons descend into a Deep Water Trench recently opened by a Sea Quake aboard their State-of-the-Art Submarine, The Aronnax and find an Ancient Scroll known as the "Chronicle of the Deep". After Nearly escaping the Dragon and the closing Deep Water Trench, they discover that the Chronicle holds a secret on how to find "Lemuria", An Ancient Underwater city that has been lost for thousands of years. The Episode ends with Nereus saying "And it Begins. This should be Interesting".|
|2||2||"The Dark Orca"||January 16, 2016|
|The Nektons discovery of the Chronicle of the Deep leads them to 'The Floating Market', a haven for Pirates, Bandits and Thieves. Once there, they meet with an informant named Dolos, an old college friend of Will and Kaiko to translate the Lemurian Symbols they found on the Scroll. With only 2 of the symbols translated, the Nektons are attacked by Pirates on their way back to the Aronnax, from which they barely escape. The translation of the symbols meaning 'Gateway' and 'Lava' from 10,000 years ago leads the Nektons to an underwater sea cave where they discover an unusual symbol that looks like a maze inside a circle. Moments later they are attacked by the pirates, led by Captain Hammerhead, aboard their sub named 'The Dark Orca', just as the Volcano near the sea cave erupts. The Nektons barely escape from Hammerhead by piloting the Aronnax through the Eruption, which they survive due to the Aronnax's double reinforced titanium hull. Out of danger, Will, Ant and Fontaine discover that the outer case of the Chronicle shows the symbol they found in the cave and believe that it is just the beginning of their search for Lemuria.|
|3||3||"A.I.M.Y."||January 23, 2016|
|The Nektons new artificial intelligence tries to protect the Nektons from themselves.|
|4||4||"Digging Deeper"||January 30, 2016|
|The Nektons retrieve a mysterious package from the bottom of the ocean.|
|5||5||"The Devil's Sea Mystery"||February 6, 2016|
|The Nektons investigate reports of aliens in the Devil's Sea (near Hachijo-Kojima). First appearance of Kenji.|
|6||6||"Lonesome Jim"||February 13, 2016|
|First appearance of Conger, a collector of rare things.|
|The Nektons are captured by Captain Hammerhead aboard the Dark Orca.|
|Ant must pass a test by the Guardians to find a piece of the Ephemychron.|
|Ant hatches a baby creature.|
|The Nektons contend with a Colossal Squid.|
|Ant captures footage of a giant creature and uploads it to the internet. Devil Daniels, a popular 'Monster Hunter' sees the footage and decides to hunt down the creature and kill it. The Nektons rush to stop Devil Daniels but he escapes and uses their rover to reach the 'Monster' which in the end turns out to be a Giant Sea Horse. When Daniels is about to capture the creature, the rover fills with water and he can't breathe. The creature proves its harmlessness by rescuing Daniel - and Daniel is forced to admit his wrongs on live broadcast.|
|12||12||"The Phantom Sub"|
|Ant finds an ancient one-man submarine that has been sailing alone on autopilot.|
|Marks the first appearance of a monumental. The Nektons are investigating the biggest underwater-waterfall in the world when they are sucked into a mysterious tunnel. Keiko is hurt and the current is too strong to get out.|
|14||14||"The Abyss Stares Back"|
|The Nektons dive into a blue hole and meet a new type of squid.|
|15||15||"Treasure of the Islanders"|
|Fontaine and Antaeus search for an ancient treasure for people whose island was devastated by a volcanic eruption. Captain Hammerhead and his crew want the treasure so they can sell it.|
|16||16||"The Junior Nektons"|
|Fontaine and Antaeus are visited by their fan club.|
|17||17||"The Sunken Gallery"|
|The Nektons are framed for art theft.|
|18||18||"The Field of Giants"|
|The Nektons race to save a new species of Giant clams, before a new underwater volcano can erupt. Captain Hammerhead and his crew complicate matters.|
|19||19||"The Proteus Factor"|
|Proteus, leader of the Guardians, kidnaps Ant so he can unite the Ephemychron.|
|20||20||"The Song of the Siren"|
|Devil Daniels has discovered a new creature, a whale with a beautiful voice.|
|21||21||"Bad Luck Fish"|
|Having been contacted by Commander Pyrosome of the World Oceans Authority (WOA) about an unusual grouping of Sea Life that they've been tracking, The Nekton decide to follow up on the case. After getting caught up in the shredded nets of a commercial tuna farm, and then freeing themselves, Pyrosome informs them of a second grouping south-east of them, so Kaiko and Ant take the Aronnax to follow the New group While Will and Fontaine follow the original group in the Rover. Will and Fontaine soon become food as they discover that the Sea Life they were tracking had been eaten by a 'Megaladon' Shark, the species of which was thought to have been extinct for 2.6 Million years. With Will and Fontaine soon holding onto the Megaladon's Gills for dear life, Kaiko and Ant turn around and try to get them out, but are suddenly attacked by a Second Megaladon, foiling their attempt. Having come up with a plan to save the rest of their family, Ant takes the Mag Knight outside and attaches a looped steel cable to the first Megaladons tail, then signals Kaiko to throttle back the Aronnax in order to stop the Shark, giving the Rover a chance to escape. After escaping from the Mouth of the Megaladon, the Rover and Ant try to get back to Aronnax, but the Megaladon Suddenly Dives, jamming the cable release and thus pulls the Aronnax down very fast. After failing to cut the cable with the Rover's laser, Ant uses himself as bait to lure the second Megaladon to bite through the cable, allowing the Nektons to escape. After making their report to Commander Pyrosome they decide to go on their way and leave the two Megaladons alone to mate in peace.|
|The Nektons race to save the creature behind the Bloop.|
|24||24||"The Twilight Zone"||September 27, 2016|
|After finding huge concentrations of Bio-Luminescent Bacteria near Taiwan, The Nektons discover that the Ocean has become empty. With Fontaine piloting the Aronnax, They descend deeper and deeper to find that the only fish around are Angler Fish on the ocean floor, at the bottom of the 'Midnight Zone' which is over 1000 metres below sea level. After getting tossed around by Volcanic Thermal Vents, They ascend to the 'Twilight Zone' above 1000 metres, and discover all the fish in the sea all grouped together in one place. Intrigued by this unusual grouping, Kaiko Leaves the Aronnax in the White Knight to take a closer look. Having gotten too close to the cloud of fish and looking into a bright light in the centre, Will, Ant and Fontaine find that Kaiko won't respond to them, as if she was in a trance. Fontaine hypothesises that a creature with Bio-Luminescence was forced up from the Midnight Zone by the geysers of warm water on the Ocean Floor, thus is luring fish towards it and has the same effect on people. After Will, in the Rover, gets hypnotised himself trying to rescue Kaiko, Ant and Fontaine cover the view ports of the Shadow and Swamp Knights and use thermal imaging as they try to rescue their parents. Having discovered that the Creature is in fact A Gigantic Angler Fish and that it was attracted toward the Shadow Knights Stealth Glow, thinking that Ant was its mother, Ant starts leading it back down to the Midnight Zone with a Mirror while Fontaine follows them in the Aronnax. After a few setbacks, Ant and Fontaine were able to rescue Will and Kaiko and send the Angler back home.|
|25||25||"Loki's Castle"||October 4, 2016|
|Devil Daniels reveals the location of an ancient Viking shipwreck in Loki's Castle. The Nektons race to get there before Captain Hammerhead and his crew.|
|26||26||"Tartaruga"||October 11, 2016|
|The Nektons find the final piece of the Ephemychron in a cave on a floating island.|
|Title||Original air date|
|27||1||"From The Stars"|
|Ant and Fontaine meet Alpheus Benthos who says Ant is destined to be his nemesis, he lives on a sub he built with an artificial intelligence. Alpheus and Proteus are working together to find Lemuria, and Ant figures out how to use the Ephemecron. Nerius reveals what the terror is and that he has met Alpheus.|
|28||2||"The Baltic Sea Anomaly"||September 12, 2017|
|The Nektons investigate the Baltic Sea anomaly, after finding that a symbol in the Ephemecron's map is situated at that spot. The anomaly proves to be an ancient meteor that has been tunneled by a colony of Mantis shrimp.|
|29||3||"Mermaids"||September 19, 2017|
|30||4||"Treacherous Waters"||September 26, 2017|
|The Nektons investigate another spot marked on the Ephemecron's map, this one located in the Bermuda Triangle.|
|31||5||"Kenji's Monster"||October 3, 2017|
|32||6||"Finn Comes Aboard"||October 10, 2017|
|33||7||"Beware The Sentinels"||October 17, 2017|
|34||8||"Hidden Secrets"||November 7, 2017|
|35||9||"The Maze"||November 14, 2017|
|Following the Ephemecron map, The Nektons discover a mysterious underwater maze. Trapped, separated and running out of air will they find a way out, or will the monster find them first?|
|36||10||"Whale Of A Tale"|
|The Nektons discover the Dark Orca seemingly abandoned. The ship systems are malfunctioning and strange noises make the place seem haunted, but ghosts don't show up on radar...|
|38||12||"Thunder And Lightning"|
|Alpheus believes he has found the Gates of Lemuria, but he has actually found the prison of the Terror.|
In 2016, ABC signed a deal with DHX Media to secure the Australia DVD rights to The Deep. In Italy, Eagle Pictures will publish the series soon on DVD. In Germany, Just Bridge Entertainment will publish the series soon on DVD. In UK, Abbey Home Media Group will publish the series soon on DVD.
- Charles Webb (March 20, 2013). "Tom Taylor's Deep Sea Family Graphic Novels 'The Deep' Being Made Into An Animated Series". mtv.com.
- "Technicolor options rights to award-winning graphic novel series, The Deep". www.technicolor.com. January 22, 2013.
- "The Deep reels in Nerd Corps as co-production partner". kidscreen.com.
- "Technicolor's 'The Deep' Headed to the U.S. on Netflix". awn.com. June 1, 2016.
- Mercedes Milligan (March 16, 2015). "Technicolor Signs New Euro Broadcasters for 'The Deep'". www.animationmagazine.net.
- "The Deep" (Photo) – via www.facebook.com.
- "The Deep - S1 - Episode 12: The Phantom Sub". Radio Times.