He is known for his collaborations with Damien Chazelle including Whiplash (2014) for which he won the Academy Award for Best Film Editing as well as La La Land (2016), and First Man (2018). He is also known for his work on David O. Russell's Joy (2015), the musical The Greatest Showman (2016), Scott Cooper's Hostiles (2017), and Cary Joji Fukunaga's No Time to Die (2021).
He began his career in 1997 as an assistant editor, contributing to such diverse projects as We Own the Night (2007), Crazy Heart (2009), The Switch (2010) and the Primetime Emmy Award-winning drama series Deadwood. He came to worldwide prominence in 2015 when he won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Editing, BAFTA Award for Best Editing, and Academy Award for Best Editing (among other honors) for his work on the acclaimed film Whiplash (2014). and reunited with writer/director Damien Chazelle on the musical romantic comedy La La Land (2016).
|2010||The Space Between||Travis Fine|
|2012||Any Day Now|
|Time Lapse||Bradley D. King|
|2015||The Driftless Area||Zachary Slusser|
|Joy||David O. Russell||Co-edited with Alan Baumgarten, |
Christopher Tellefsen and Jay Cassidy
|2016||La La Land||Damien Chazelle|
|The Greatest Showman||Michael Gracey||Co-edited with Joe Hutshing, Jon Poll, |
Michael McCusker, Robert Duffy and Spencer Susser
|2018||First Man||Damien Chazelle|
|2021||No Time to Die||Cary Joji Fukunaga||Co-edited with Elliot Graham|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Film in 2015 | BAFTA Awards".
- "87th Academy Awards". Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "'La la Land' Stars Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone Look Amazing in First Picture from Their New Film — PHOTO".
- Giardina, Carolyn (November 27, 2014). "'Whiplash': Editing Miles Teller's Drumming, 'French Connection' Inspiration". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "This Oscar Winner Has the Most Supportive Wife Ever".