St. Louis Film Critics Association
In December of every year, the SLFCA assemble to vote on their annual film awards, which includes the SLFCA Award and one Special Recognition Award for a best scene, cinematic technique or other memorable aspect or moment in a film. SLFCA Awards are presented across nineteen categories and are recognized by multiple film critic associations and media outlets, particularly during award season; these awards are often recognized as a means for assessing the best or most celebrated films of the year, as well as front-runners for notable film industry awards, such as the Academy Awards..
Membership Requirements and Association StructureEdit
The St. Louis Film Critics Association outline eight bylaws for the organization and fourteen affiliated media outlets . According to the SLFCA, membership requirements for the association are as follows: "Critics who are Full Members must produce reviews for a media outlet that is recognized by motion picture studios and local film public relations agencies representing the studios. The member's reviews must contain original critical commentary and illustrate a breadth of film knowledge. Reviews that include only plot summaries or information derived from press releases do not qualify.
A critic must watch and review at least 26 current feature-length motion pictures within each calendar year (January 1 - December 31). Qualifying films are those that are: 1) given a wide or limited theatrical release, including those films given concurrent digital multi-platform releases; or 2) screened at a film festival. A qualifying review must be published or broadcast in a timely manner, i.e. within seven days of the film's local opening or screening date. Reviews of theatrically re-released films or home video releases (e.g., DVDs, Blu-rays, or online streaming) do not qualify.
A qualifying standard review must be at least 300 words in length. Two capsule reviews of 100 to 299 words in length may be counted as one standard review. Two audio or video reviews may be counted as one standard review. Written reviews must be professionally edited and formatted, exhibit excellence in grammar and spelling, and accurate with respect to factual information. Reviews that are reprinted or rebroadcast in different formats or outlets, even with minor revisions, are not considered separately.
Qualifying print outlets must have a minimum verifiable circulation of 20,000. Qualifying radio and television outlets must be those that broadcast from an FCC-licensed station (commercial or public) or a satellite / Internet radio station with a wide audience. Qualifying online outlets must be consistently updated, professional in appearance, and have a minimum of 5,000 unique visits per month. Podcasts do not qualify unless the audio reviews are originally broadcast on a qualifying radio or television outlet." 
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Animated Film
- Best Art Direction
- Best Cinematography
- Best Comedy
- Best Director
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Foreign Film
- Most Original, Innovative, or Creative Film
- Best Music/Score
- Best Overlooked Film
- Best Picture
- Best Screenplay
- Best Supporting Actor
- Best Supporting Actress
- Best Visual/Special Effects
(2 awards and more)
- 7 awards:
- 6 awards:
- 5 awards:
- 4 awards:
- 3 awards:
- 2 awards:
- Ray (2004): Best Actor, Score
- The Incredibles (2004): Best Animated Film, Visual Effects
- House of Flying Daggers (2004): Best Cinematography, Art Direction
- The Queen (2006): Best Actress, Screenplay
- The Departed (2006): Best Picture, Director
- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007): Best Foreign Language Film, Most Original/Innovative Film
- No Country for Old Men (2007): Best Picture, Director
- The Dark Knight (2008): Best Supporting Actor, Best Visual/Special Effects
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Best Picture, Most Original/Innovative Film
- Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Best Director, Foreign Language Film
- Up (2009): Best Animated Film, Favorite Scene
- Nine (2009): Best Cinematography, Music
- Up in the Air (2009): Best Picture, Actor
- The Descendants (2011): Best Actor, Screenplay
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011): Best Actress, Favorite Scene
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014): Best Comedy, Soundtrack
- Gone Girl (2014): Best Actress, Adapted Screenplay
- Whiplash (2014): Best Art-House or Festival Film, Supporting Actor
- "Current Releases". St. Louis Film Critics Association.
- "St. Louis Film Critics Association, US Event Overview".
- "St. Louis Film Critics Association, US Awards 2018".
- "BEST OF 2018: FILM AWARDS & NOMINATIONS SCORECARD".
- "The 2018 St. Louis Film Critics Association (StLFCA) Winners".
- "StLFCA Bylaws".
- "StLFCA Membership Requirements".