Main pedestrian street of Thisted.
|• Urban||8.29 km2 (3.20 sq mi)|
(1 January 2020)
|• Urban density||1,600/km2 (4,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (CEST)|
Market town status was given to Thisted in 1500.
During the Jutland Peasant rebellion of 1441, Christopher of Bavaria, King of Denmark, approached the rebel camp at Husby Hole near St. Jørgen's Hill in northern Jutland and sent word that anyone who left the camp and went home, would not be punished for rebellion. The men from Thisted, as well as those of Mors, left for which they were afterwards called cowards and traitors.
Thisted is also home of the Brewery Thisted Bryghus known for its high quality organic beer.
There are several educational institutions in Thisted. There are three schools, Østre skole, Rolighedskolen, and Tingstrup skole. There's also a gymnasium, Higher Preparatory Examination, Higher Commercial Examination Programme and Higher Technical Examination Programme.
- Conrad Malte-Brun (1775 in Thisted – 1826) a Dano-French geographer, coined the name Oceania 
- Hendrik Pontoppidan (1814 in Thisted – 1901) a Danish merchant, consul and philanthropist
- Christen Mikkelsen Kold (1816 in Thisted – 1870) a teacher, created the Danish high-school system
- Knud Graah (1817–1909) a Norwegian industrialist and pioneer in the Norwegian textile industry
- Jens Peter Jacobsen (1847 in Thisted – 1885) a Danish novelist, poet and scientist 
- Peter Tom-Petersen (1861 in Thisted – 1926) a painter and graphic artist of cityscapes and interiors
- Grethe Rask (1930 in Thisted – 1977) a physician and surgeon in Zaïre, one of the first non-Africans to die of AIDS
- Yutte Stensgaard (born 1946) an actress, known for her role in Hammer's Lust for a Vampire (1971)
- Mogens Dahl (born 1953 in Thisted) a Danish conductor, founded Mogens Dahl Concert Hall
- Kato (DJ) (born 1981 in Thisted) stage name of Thomas Kato Vittrup, a DJ and music producer
- Junior Senior (active 1998–2008) a pop duo from Thisted, Denmark
- Annette Jørgensen (born 1966 in Thisted) a swimmer, competed in the 1988 Summer Olympics
- Jesper Grønkjær (born 1977 in Nuuk, Greenland) raised in Thisted, is a former Danish professional footballer
- Mads Agesen (born 1983 in Thisted) a Danish footballer, captain at Randers FC
- Frederikke Thøgersen (born 1995 in Thisted) a Danish professional football player, plays for Fortuna Hjørring and the Denmark women's national football team
Emigrants to the United StatesEdit
- Hans Ditlev Bendixsen (1842 in Thisted – 1902) (emigrated c.1865) an American shipbuilder, developed the merchant marine industry on the West Coast of the United States
- Lawrence Waldemar Tonner (1861 in Thisted – 1947) (emigrated 1870) companion and personal secretary of composer and pianist Francis Grierson for more than 40 years
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thisted.|