Thisted municipality is a municipality (Danish: kommune) in North Jutland Region, Denmark. The municipality covers an area of 1,072 km², and has a total population of 45,549 (2008). Its mayor is Erik Hove Olesen, a member of the Social Democrats (Socialdemokraterne). The main town and the site of its municipal council is the town of Thisted.
Thisted municipality is roughly identical with the traditional district of Thy, except that the municipality includes a small portion of the district Hanherred, but not the southernmost peninsula of Thy, Thyholm.
Thisted's municipal council consists of 27 members, elected every four years.
Below are the municipal councils elected since the Municipal Reform of 2007.
|2005||11||1||3||1||1||1||9||27||72.1%||Erik Hove Olesen (A)|
|2009||10||4||2||2||9||68.3%||Lene Kjeldgaard (V)|
|2017||9||5||1||1||3||6||1||1||74.4%||Ulla Vestergaard (A)|
|Data from Kmdvalg.dk 2005, 2009, 2013 and 2017|
Notable people of the municipalityEdit
- Niels Andersen (1835 in Ydby, Thisted County - 1911) a Danish businessman and politician; created the first large construction company in Denmark; lived in Søholm from 1877
- Andreas Riis Carstensen (1844 in Sennels, near Thisted – 1906) a Danish painter who specialized in maritime scenes, notably of Greenland.
- Johan Skjoldborg (1861 in Øsløs in Thisted – 1936) a Danish educator, novelist, playwright and memoirist
- Andrew Petersen (1870 near Thisted – 1953) was a patternmaker, foundry company executive and politician in New York City
- Aage Oxenvad (1884 in Gettrup near Thisted – 1944) a Danish clarinetist who played in the Royal Danish Orchestra from 1909
- Erik Aalbæk Jensen (1923 in Thy – 1997) a Danish writer and Lutheran minister
- Bent Larsen (1935 in Tilsted near Thisted – 2010) a Danish chess grandmaster and author
- Jonas Vingegaard (born 1996 in Hillerslev) a Danish cyclist
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thisted Kommune.|
- Municipality's official website (In Danish)