The Greatest Love (Philippine TV series)
The Greatest Love is a 2016 Philippine family melodrama television series directed by Dado C. Lumibao, Jeffrey R. Jeturian and Mervyn Brondial, starring Sylvia Sanchez, Nonie Buencamino, Andi Eigenmann, Dimples Romana, Arron Villaflor, Matt Evans, Joshua Garcia, and Ruby Ruiz. The series premiered on September 5, 2016 and worldwide on The Filipino Channel replacing Tubig at Langis.
|The Greatest Love|
|Developed by||Ginny Monteagudo-Ocampo|
|Creative director(s)||Ricky Lee|
|Opening theme||"The Greatest Love of All" by Sharon Cuneta|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||163 (list of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Mark Anthony D. Gile|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMO Entertainment Unit|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||September 5, 2016 –|
April 21, 2017
|Followed by||Pusong Ligaw|
The Greatest Love begins with young Gloria's (Ellen Adarna) love story with a boatman named Peter (Ejay Falcon). Despite the fact that they love each other, Gloria is forced to marry Andres (Junjun Quintana) under duress, forced by her father to marry the man who raped her, Andres Alegre Sr., the town mayor's nephew.
Through the years, an adult Gloria (Sylvia Sanchez) is a loving and selfless mother to Amanda (Dimples Romana), Andrei (Matt Evans), Paeng (Arron Villaflor), and Lizelle (Andi Eigenmann). To her children's perception, their father is a hard working overseas worker who visits from time to time. They live in the Alegre's ancestral family home. Andre does not remit funds regularly so Gloria compensates by collecting, buying and selling junk. When their father comes to visit, they are a picture of a happy family.
A long-kept secret shatters their happy family and Gloria's children leave her one by one. As Gloria struggles to keep her family together, she starts to show symptoms of dementia and begins to lose pieces of her memory. She initially brushes off the symptoms until she is finally diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
At the root of their family's problems are her children's misconceptions that their mother was unfaithful to their father, the late Andres. Gloria refuses to sully their memory of their father, so she never admits to them that she was raped by Andres.
The breaking point is when they discover that Lizelle is an illegitimate child, the result of Peter and Gloria's illicit love affair, when Andres abandons them.
As her Alzheimer progresses, she attempts to bring back the love her family once had for each other but it becomes more difficult as she races against time while trying to gather her memories before they are completely wiped out. Peter returns to her life and together they try to mend her children's relationship with her and each other.
Cast and charactersEdit
|Sylvia Sanchez||Gloria Guerrero-Alegre/Alcantara||A selfless mom to her four children. She is joyful and always has a positive outlook on life. "There is money in the trash"; is her motto in life as she runs a profitable junkshop. Her youngest child, Lizelle, helps her run the business. Her family is her priority. She is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and the symptoms of her disease cause her trouble throughout the series.|
|Nonie Buencamino||Peter Alcantara||Owner of Nuevo Rio, Gloria's childhood sweetheart and Lizelle's biological father. He works overseas to save for his future with Gloria. He is heartbroken when he returns on Gloria and Andres' wedding day, unaware of the truth behind the rushed wedding. He becomes a successful businessman, later returning to Gloria's life and tries to make up for all the lost time they missed. He wants to marry Gloria but Amanda objects because she believes he is the reason their parents broke their family. Undeterred, Peter waits until the Alegre siblings finally accept him. They marry at the end of the series.|
|Andi Eigenmann||Lizelle Alegre/Alcantara-Sobrevista ||Gloria's youngest child. Lizelle is the fruit of Gloria and Peter's illicit love, but this makes her a rightful heir to the Alcantara fortune.|
|Dimples Romana||Amanda "Mandy" Alegre-Cruz||Gloria's first born, she is a successful marketing executive, a good wife, and a responsible mom to her only child Z. She is upset at Gloria when she learned of her mother's secret past liaison with Peter Alcantara. She despises Lizelle because she is an illegitimate child of Gloria. When she finds out that Gloria has Alzheimer's disease, and the truth about her parents’ relationship, she tries to repair their relationship.|
|Arron Villaflor||Rafael "Paeng" Alegre||He is the third of the four siblings. An aspiring indie rock singer, inheriting his love for music from his father, Andres. Paeng steals money from Gloria to sustain his gambling addiction. Like Amanda, he dislikes Lizelle and blames her for their parents’ break up.|
|Matt Evans||Andres "Andrei" Alegre Jr.||He is the second of the four siblings and is the eldest male, and gay.|
|Joshua Garcia||Zosimo "Z" Cruz||Amanda and Chad's only child, a senior high school student and Gloria's only grandchild. He learns of Gloria's disease, her love story with Peter and her rape by his grandfather Andres. After Gloria dies of a severe stroke, he became a doctor.|
|Ruby Ruiz||Lydia Balane-Thompson||Gloria's best friend since they were teenagers. She is like a sister to Gloria. She helps Gloria with her sickness and with their family problems. Lydia is like a mother figure to Amanda, Paeng, Andrei and Lizelle. She is the only one who knows Gloria's darkest secret that Andres molested Gloria. Later, she, right after Gloria told Amanda and Lizelle, reveals the whole truth to Andrei and Paeng.|
|Tetchie Agbayani||Maria Estella "Stella" Alegre-Policarpio||The cousin of Andres. Did not accept Lizelle because she knew all along that she is not an Alegre. Stella is Amanda, Paeng and Andrei's aunt and Lizelle's adoptive aunt. She will do everything and anything to destroy Gloria's name and reputation. Stella pretends to ask forgiveness from Gloria in order to pursue her evil plans.|
|Luis Alandy||Chad Cruz||He is Amanda's husband and Z's father. Prior to Z's high school graduation, he traveled to Beijing to teach English there to augment for his family's needs, especially Z's college tuition. It is unknown what happened to him afterwards.|
|Bobby Andrews||Alvin Sales||He is Amanda's workmate.|
|Mercedes Cabral||Greta Ramirez||She is the one who tried to steal the project from Amanda and is keen on creating conflict with Amanda. She later reconciles with Amanda and became friends. She is part of Amanda and Alvin's agency.|
|Guji Lorenzana||Gerald Samonte||He is Lizelle's ex-fiancé. He is also helping Lizelle to find her real father. Gerald is embarrassed to show his mother how the Alegre family behaves knowing his mother is judgmental. The truth later comes out.|
|Alex Medina||Alexander "Sandro" Sobrevista ||He is a worker of "Alegre Junkshop" who secretly likes Lizelle. He later marries Lizelle and they start a family together.|
|Kira Balinger||Waywaya "Y" Soledad||The one who taught Z not to easily trust people you just met and later on becomes a close friend and future girlfriend to Z. After Gloria died, she became a nurse.|
|Micah Muñoz||Ken||Andrei's boyfriend.|
|Elaine Quemuel||Azon||Gloria's friend and a Zumba-Chi dancer with Gloria.|
|Kokoy De Santos||Luis||Schoolmate and friend of Z|
|Akira Morishita||Eric||Schoolmate and friend of Z|
|Nor Domingo||Jomar||Peter's right-hand man and friend.|
|Martha Comia||Bangs||One of Gloria's workers at the junk shop.|
|Acey Aguilar||Tigs||One of Gloria's workers at the junk shop.|
|Kych Minemoto||Pogs||One of Gloria's workers at the junk shop.|
|Ellen Adarna||young Gloria Guerrero-Alegre||Zosimo's daughter. Peyer's sweeyheart. They planned to marry but she was forced into an unhappy marriage with Andres who raised her while Peter was in Saudi Arabia.|
|Ejay Falcon||young Peter Alcantara||Gloria's boyfriend. They planning to get married but Gloria got impregnated by Andres. He came back from abroad on the day that Andres and Gloria got married. One night, he and Gloria admitted that they still have feelings for each other. He is the biological father of Lizelle.|
|Tonton Gutierrez||Zosimo Guerrero||Gloria's deceased father. He objected to Gloria and Peter's love but later accepted him. Z was named after him.|
|Rommel Padilla||Andres Alegre Sr.||Gloria's late first husband, father of Amanda, Paeng, Andrei, Lizelle's adoptive father. Gloria kept on rejecting him so he raped her which resulted in Amanda. He later bore two more children, Andrei and Paeng. When he found out that Gloria has an illegitimate child with Peter, Andres decided to love Lizelle as his own. He was later killed when he saved Lizelle. The Alegre children blame Lizelle for the death of Andres.|
|Junjun Quintana||young Andres Alegre Sr.||Gloria's first husband who raped her. Andres never stopped on pursuing Gloria even though he knew that she was in love with Peter. Andres was first attracted to Gloria because of her beauty but then learned to love her because of her character.|
|Regine Angeles||Belle||She is in love with Peter but Peter is in love with Gloria.|
|Kate Alejandrino||Joy||She is the architect that Gloria consulted for the house that she will build.|
|Aleck Bovick||Thelma Alcantara||She is the mother of Peter. Didn't agree with Peter and Gloria's love for each other, but later accepted them because it is what makes Peter happy.|
|Richard Quan||Eulalio Dalipe||The mayor of Bagong Ilog who officiated the civil wedding of Gloria and Andres.|
|Claire Ruiz||Sheila||Paeng's love interest and ex-girlfriend.|
|Maila Gumila||Melissa Samonte||Gerald's mother who does not approve of Lizelle because she is an illegitimate child. She tries to destroy the Alegre name on social media.|
|Jong Cuenco||Mr. Samonte||Gerald's father.|
- Jana Agoncillo as Leklek
- Marnie Lapuz as Adela Sunico
- Allan Paule as Samuel
- Kamille Filoteo as Liza
- Lance Lucido as Buboy
- Mara Lopez as young Stella
- Anna Luna as young Lydia
- Jane Oineza as teenage Amanda
- Teejay Marquez as teenage Andrei
- John Manalo as teenage Paeng
- Hannah Lopez Vito as adolescent Lizelle
- Michelle Vito as adolescent Amanda
- Nathaniel Britt as adolescent Andrei
- John Vincent Servilla as adolescent Paeng
- Angeluo Alayon as young Andrei
- Raikko Mateo as young Paeng
- Juvylyn Bison as young Amanda
|Pilot Episode||Finale Episode||Peak||Average|
September 5, 2016
April 21, 2017
January 11, 2017
Timeslot and premiereEdit
The Greatest Love was reported to replace the soon-to-be concluded My Super D on July 18, 2016, but was postponed (and moved to later date) because of Pinoy Big Brother: Mga Kwento ng Dream Team ni Kuya. The network released several teasers of the show and announced a premiere date which is on September 5, 2016. A full length trailer was released on August 27, 2016.
- ABS-CBN (July 2, 2016). "ABS-CBN unveils show for 2016". ABS-CBN.com. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ABS-CBN (July 2, 2016). "The Greatest Love Teaser Trailer: Coming Soon on ABS-CBN!". ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Sylvia Sanchez embraces role of a lifetime". Philippine Daily Inquirer. September 8, 2016. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "Pressure mounts for Sylvia Sanchez as 'Greatest Love' teaser earns raves". ABS-CBN News. July 11, 2016. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "'The Greatest Love' tackles dementia of parents and children". Malaya. July 18, 2016. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "ABS-CBN shows unique story of mother's unconditional love in "The Greatest Love"". ABS-CBN Corporation. July 15, 2016. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "The Greatest Love: Meet Andi Eigenmann as Lizelle". ABS-CBN Entertainment. YouTube. August 24, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "Andi Eigenmann makes TV comeback via The Greatest Love". Philippine Entertainment Portal. July 2, 2016. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "The Greatest Love: Meet Dimples Romana as Amanda". ABS-CBN Entertainment. YouTube. August 22, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "The Greatest Love: Meet Arron Villaflor as Paeng". ABS-CBN Entertainment. YouTube. August 25, 2016. Retrieved September 6, 2016.
- "The Greatest Love: Meet Matt Evans as Andrei". ABS-CBN Entertainment. YouTube. August 25, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "The Greatest Love: Meet Joshua Garcia as Z". ABS-CBN Entertainment. YouTube. August 27, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Anarcon, James Patrick (September 6, 2016). "COMMENTARY: Sylvia Sanchez and Ellen Adarna provide highlights of The Greatest Love". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "National TV Ratings (September 6, 2016 – Monday)". ABS-CBN PR. September 7, 2016. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- "National TV Ratings (April 21-23, 2017)". ABS-CBN PR. April 24, 2017. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- "National TV Ratings (January 11, 2017 – Wednesday)". ABS-CBN PR. January 12, 2017. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- "Sylvia Sanchez thrilled over first lead role". ABS-CBN News. July 15, 2016. Retrieved September 6, 2016.
- "The Greatest Love Full Trailer: This September 5 on ABS-CBN!". ABS-CBN Entertainment. August 27, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.