for the Jatiya Sangsad
Ahead of the 2008 general election, the Election Commission redrew constituency boundaries to reflect population changes revealed by the 2001 Bangladesh census. The 2008 redistricting altered the boundaries of the constituency.
The constituency was created for the first general elections in newly independent Bangladesh, held in 1973.
Members of ParliamentEdit
Elections in the 2010sEdit
|Awami League||Sanowar Hossain||67,959||53.1||N/A|
|BNF||Ataur Rahman Khan||245||0.2||N/A|
|Awami League gain from BNP|
In December 2009, the High Court declared that Quasem's 2008 candidacy had been illegal and vacated the seat. The Election Commission declared Mahmudul Hasan, the runner up, elected. After the appeals process concluded, Hasan took office in August 2012.
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Zaker Party||Mahfuz Reza||319||0.1||N/A|
|JP(E) gain from BNP|
|Awami League||Abdul Mannan||83,458||27.8||-12.2|
|Gano Forum||Abul Hossain||970||0.3||0.0|
|Bangladesh Progressive Party||Chand Imran Mirza||191||0.1||N/A|
|Jatiya Party (M)||A. K. Pathan Ayub||165||0.1||N/A|
|BNP gain from Awami League|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Awami League||Abdul Mannan||95,903||40.0||+2.9|
|Jamaat-e-Islami||Md. Shafiqur Rahman||3,997||1.7||-0.1|
|Gano Forum||Abul Hossain||776||0.3||N/A|
|Democratic Republican Party||Md. Shahjahan Ali||344||0.1||N/A|
|Zaker Party||A. K. M. Asrarul Haque||282||0.1||-0.1|
|NAP (Bhashani)||Md. Muslem Uddin||245||0.1||N/A|
|JSD (R)||Md. Altab Hossain Miah||205||0.1||N/A|
|Awami League gain from JP(E)|
|Awami League||Abdul Mannan||71,455||37.1|
|BNP||B. Babul Chowdhury||30,168||15.6|
|JSD (S)||Md. Motiur Rahman Khan||8,920||4.6|
|Jamaat-e-Islami||Md. Nousher Ali||3,530||1.8|
|Independent||Wazed Ali Khan Ponni||1,470||0.8|
|NAP (Muzaffar)||Md. Moslem Uddin||1,011||0.5|
|Jatiya Oikkya Front||Md. Hazrat Ali Shikdar||704||0.4|
|FP||Md. Nazrul Islam Khan||463||0.2|
|Zaker Party||A. K. M. Asrarul Haque||368||0.2|
|Bangladesh Muslim League (Kader)||Md. Syed A. Al Wasek||318||0.2|
|CPB||Joad Al Malum||300||0.2|
- "Tangail-5". The Daily Star. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "Constituency Maps of Bangladesh" (PDF). Bangladesh Election Commission. 2010. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Delimitation of Constituencies" (PDF). Bangladesh Election Commission (in Bengali). 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Rahman, Syedur (2010). Historical Dictionary of Bangladesh. Scarecrow Press. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-8108-7453-4.
- Liton, Shakhawat (11 July 2008). "Final list of redrawn JS seats published". The Daily Star.
- "List of 1st Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "List of 2nd Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "List of 3rd Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "List of 4th Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Tangail-5". Bangladesh Election Result 2014. Dhaka Tribune. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "Mahmudul new MP of Tangail-5". The Daily Star. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "Mahmudul Hasan takes oath as MP". bdnews24.com. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "Bangladesh Parliament Election - Detail Results". Amar Desh. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "Nomination submission List". Bangladesh Election Commission (in Bengali). Archived from the original on 11 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Parliament Election Result of 1991,1996,2001 Bangladesh Election Information and Statistics". Vote Monitor Networks. Archived from the original on 29 December 2008. Retrieved 11 February 2018.