- The following is a closed discussion of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. Editors desiring to contest the closing decision should consider a move review after discussing it on the closer's talk page. No further edits should be made to this discussion.
The result of the move request was: no consensus -- JHunterJ (talk) 21:50, 25 March 2020 (UTC)
Alp → Alp (disambiguation) – Per WP:PRIMARYTOPIC to allow for making Alp a WP:PRIMARYREDIRECT to Alps. The use of "alp" as a reference to a single alp in the Alps is far more common than any other use listed on the dab page, as demonstrated by the page view stats. Also, per WP:ASTONISH. People searching with "alp" are most likely looking for the Alps article. I just did exactly that search (for "alp") and was astonished to be taken to a dab page full of obscure uses of the term. A hatnote at Alps sending the occasional searcher for one of the obscure uses back to the dab page will be quite adequate for handling those rare cases. Finally, anyone linking to alp in article text almost certainly intends the Alps connotation, so it should redirect accordingly. See Also recent related RM here: Talk:Alp_(folklore)#Requested_move_22_October_2019 В²C ☎ 18:39, 28 February 2020 (UTC)—Relisting. Jerm (talk) 19:45, 6 March 2020 (UTC)
- Support per nom. Clear primary redirect. -- Necrothesp (talk) 11:46, 6 March 2020 (UTC)
- Weak oppose the views shows that the uses of "Alp" (in particular the folklore) get more than 10% of the views. Someone is more likely to add the "s" on the end if searching for the mountain range so I'm not convinced PT#1 is satisfied. A Google search returns more results for the medical meaning though that's an acronym for Alkaline phosphatase and WP:DIFFCAPS likely applies. A Google image search returns the river and place in Spain first. The mountain range might be primary by PT#2 and WP:ASTONISH though. A site:wikipedia.org Alp returns Alkaline phosphatase then the lower case Alp DAB page, then Elevated alkaline phosphatase, then the folklore, then Liver function tests, then the name and then the mountain range so its not clear that the mountain range is primary without "s" though I agree the folklore topic isn't. Crouch, Swale (talk) 18:41, 6 March 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose. All the page view stats demonstrate is that "Alps" is more popular than "Alp". Pennine, Ande, Ural, Pyrenee are all DABs for the same reason: people usually search for the mountain range in the plural. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 04:06, 7 March 2020 (UTC)
- It doesn't matter whether "Alp" is more popular than "Alps" or not. This is not a proposal to move "Alps" to "Alp". —BarrelProof (talk) 07:50, 9 March 2020 (UTC)
- But I think the point is that the mountain range probably isn't called just "Alp" often enough to be overwhelmingly the most common term compared with those only called "Alp" and possibly those sometimes abbreviated to "ALP". Crouch, Swale (talk) 21:47, 25 March 2020 (UTC)
- Comment: There is a reasonable argument for this in WP:PLURALPT: "All of these apply to the reverse situation as well (Scissor redirects to Scissors; Tropic redirects to Tropics)." However, the use for "alp" as "alpine pasture" or "alpine meadow", as pointed out by In ictu oculi at Talk:Alp_(folklore)#Requested_move_22_October_2019, has me a bit worried. —BarrelProof (talk) 12:16, 24 March 2020 (UTC)
- The discussion above is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page. No further edits should be made to this discussion.