Subir Nandi (19 November 1953 – 7 May 2019) was a Bangladeshi musician. He won Bangladesh National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer five times for his performance in the films Mahanayak (1984), Shuvoda (1986), Srabon Megher Din (1999), Megher Pore Megh (2004) and Mohua Sundori (2015). He was awarded Ekushey Padak in 2019 by the Government of Bangladesh.
|Born||30 November 1953|
Baniachong, East Bengal, Pakistan
|Died||7 May 2019 (aged 65)|
Nandi was born in Nandi Para, Baniachong, Habiganj in present-day Bangladesh. He spent his childhood in Teliapara Tea Estate, Habiganj. His father was a doctor (Medical Corps of The British Army) and medical officer at Teliapara Tea Estate. Nandi has eight siblings. All nine of them learnt music from Ustad Babar Ali Khan. He grew up listening to Pankaj Mullick, Kundan Lal Saigal, Sandhya Mukhopadhyay, and Manna Dey.
Nandi's musical career started since 1970s. His works in the film Mahanayak (1984) got him the breakthrough and also received his first national film award. He went on singing songs like Shrabon Megher Din and Megher Opare Megh. In an interview with BTV he claimed that he had sung already 2000 film songs setting the record of second highest number of songs sung by any male singer only after Andrew Kishore.
In 1972, Nandi recorded his first song, Jodi Keu Dhup Jele Deye, written by Mohammed Muzakker and composed by Ustad Mir Kasem. In 1979, he sang Din Jaye Kotha Thake from a film with the same title. The lyrics were written by Khan Ataur Rahman.
Nandi learnt folk music from Bidit Lal Das, a folk singer. Nandi became a member of a musical band named Bidit Lal Das and His Team, founded in 1972. Other members included Akramul Islam, Jamaluddin Banna, Rakhal Chakrabarty, Himangshu Goswami and Himangshu Biswas.
- Bangladesh National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer; 1984, 1986, 1999, 2004, 2015
- Citibank Lifetime Achievement award; 2012
- Bangladesh Film Journalist Association awards; 1977, 1982, 1985 and 1986
- Ekushey Padak for music; 2019
- Studio albums
- Dukher Pore Shukh
- Prem Bole Kichu Nei
- Valobasha Kokhono Morena
- Surer Bhubone
- Ganer Sure Amay Pabe 2015
- Devdas (1982)
- Mahanayak (1984)
- Simana Periye (1985)
- Ammajan (1999)
- Srabon Megher Din (1999)
- Chandrokotha (2004)
- Megher Opare Megh (2004)
- Shudha (2004)
- Shasti (2006)
- Amar E Duti Chokh
- Ekta Chilo Sonar Konna
- Bha-lobashi Shokaley
- Tomare Chharite Bondhu
- Tumi Emoni Jaal Pe-techho Shongshare
- Ami Brishtir Kachh Theke
- Koto Je Tomake Beshechhi Bhalo
- Chandey Kolongko Achhey Jemon
- Keno Bha-lobasha Hariye Jaye
- O Amar Ural Pongkhirey
- Bondhu Hote Cheye
- Bondhu Tor Borat Niya
- Paharer Kanna Dekhe
- Hajar Moner Kachhe
|1978||Abhiman||"Amar Praan Kande"||Sabina Yasmin|
|Ashikkhito||"Master Saheb Ami Naam Dostokhot"||Satya Saha||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||solo|
|1979||Bela Shesher Gaan||"Bondhu Dimuna Jaite"||Khandaker Nurul Alam||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||solo|
|Matir Ghor||"Amar Naoye Par Hoite"||Satya Saha||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||Shammi Akter|
|1980||Shesh Uttar||N/A||Robin Ghosh||Ahmed Zaman Chowdhury||solo|
|1981||Bhalo Manush||"Kache Eso Aaro Kachhe"||Subal Das||Masud Karim||Runa Laila|
|Angshidar||"Tomari Poroshe"||Satya Saha||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||Sabina Yasmin|
|"Mama Bhaigna Jekhane"||Khurshid Alam|
|Sakkhi||"Amra Duti Chhele Meye"||Alauddin Ali||Runa Laila|
|1982||Devdas||"Sukhero Bashor||Khandaker Nurul Alam||Mohammad Rafiquzzaman||Sabina Yasmin|
|Kajol Lota||"Ei Raat Dake"||Ahmed Imtiaz Bulbul||Shammi Akter|
|1984||Chandranath||"Mayar Badhon Chhere Chole Jaay"||Khandaker Nurul Alam||Mohammed Rafiquzzaman||solo|
|Mahanayak||"Tumi Chao Priya Nodi Hoye"||Sheikh Sadi Khan||Nazrul Islam Babu||Haimanti Shukla|
|"Amar E Duti Chokh"||Jahidul Haque||solo|
|"Prithibite Prem Bole Kichhu Nei"||Masud Karim|
|1985||Rai Binodini||"Na Puraiyo Radhar Ongo"||N/A||N/A||Sabina Yasmin|
|1986||Porosh Pathor||"Tumi Amay Adhar Theke"||Khan Ataur Rahman||Sabina Yasmin|
|1987||Rajlakshmi Srikanta||"Laglam Na Karo Pujate"||Alauddin Ali||Abu Hena Mostofa Kamal||Abida Sultana|
|Shuvoda||"Abujh Nodir Dui Kinar"||Khandaker Nurul Alam||Mohammed Rafiquzzaman||solo|
|"Tumi Emoni Jaal Petechho"|
|Sondhi||"Jhilmil Jhilmil"||Satya Saha||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||solo|
|"Ekta Chithi Likhe Dao"||Sabina Yasmin|
|1988||Kanchanmala||"Tumi Faruk Amar"||Satya Saha||Shah Sikandar Azad||Runa Laila|
|1989||Ram Rahim John||"Jiboner Golpo Eto Chhoto Noy"||Satya Saha||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||solo|
|Ranga Bhabi||"Amar Ja Kichu" (part 1)||Subal Das||Gazi Mazharul Anwar, Ahmed Zaman Chowdhury||Sabina Yasmin|
|"Amar Ja Kichu" (part 2)|
|Shorto||"Tumi Kedona"||Alauddin Ali||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||solo|
|1990||Karon||"Tumi Eto Sundor"||Alauddin Ali||Masud Karim||solo|
|"Ami Jibon Pothe Tomar"|
|Kusum Koli||"Ei Deho Hoilo"||Monsur Ali||Moniruzzaman Monir||Sabina Yasmin|
|1991||Padma Meghna Jamuna||"Tumi Amar Bondhu"||Khandaker Nurul Alam||Mohammad Rafiquzzaman, Nazrul Islam Babu||Shammi Akter|
|1992||Amar Adalot||"Tomar Premer Agune Puri"||N/A||N/A||Sabina Yasmin|
|1995||Ei Ghor Ei Songsar||"Narir Karone"||Alam Khan||Mohammad Rafiquzzaman||solo|
|1999||Srabon Megher Din||"Ek Je Chhilo Sonar Konna"||Maksud Jamil Mintu||Humayun Ahmed||solo|
|2001||Churiwala||"Kon Deshete Thakore"||Satya Saha||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||Abida Sultana|
|2003||Chondrokotha||"AO Amar Ural Ponkhi Re"||Maksud Jamil Mintu||Humayun Ahmed||solo|
|2005||Chhotto Ektu Bhalobasha||"O Priyo Bondhure"||Devendranath Chattopadhyay||Kabir Bakul||Kanak Chapa|
|Dui Noyoner Alo||"Bodhuare Bujhona Keu Bhul"||Ahmed Imtiaz Bulbul||solo|
|Hajar Bochor Dhore||"Asha Chilo Mone Mone"||Ahmed Imtiaz Bulbul||Zahir Raihan||solo|
|"Tumi Sutoy Bedhechho"||Gazi Mazharul Anwar||Anupama Mukti|
|Meher Nigar||"Eso Sundoro He"||Ahmed Imtiaz Bulbul, Emon Saha||Kazi Nazrul Islam||Sabina Yasmin|
|2015||Mohua Sundori||"Kothay Chhilam Kothay Ailam"||solo|
|2018||Pagol Manush||"Ei Sundor Prithibite"||Imtiaz Ahmed||Ahmed Imtiaz Bulbul||solo|
|N/A||N/A||"Nachoto Dekhi Tumi"||N/A||N/A||Sabina Yasmin|
|N/A||N/A||"Jotodin Bachbo Tomay Bhalobashbo"||N/A||N/A||Sabina Yasmin|
|N/A||N/A||"Jiboner Kono Songrame"||N/A||N/A||Sabina Yasmin|
|N/A||N/A||"Ami Hajaar Bochhor Bachte Chai"||Golam Hossain Ladu||N/A||Sabina Yasmin|
|N/A||Bashor Ghor||"Aajke Khushir Rong Legechhe"||N/A||N/A||Sabina Yasmin|
|N/A||Lal Golap||"Pakhire Tui Dure Thakle"||Amir Ali||Khan Ataur Rahman||solo|
- "Send Subir Nandi's medical papers to Singapore for expert opinion: Hasina". bdnews24.com. 2019-04-19. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "Subir Nandi (1953 – 2019): Of melody, melancholy". The Daily Star. 2019-05-08. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- "Subir Nandi no more". The Daily Star. 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Subir Nandi wins his fourth National Film Award". The Daily Star. 2008-08-30. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "National Film Awards 2015 announced". Dhaka Tribune. 2017-05-19. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "21 named for Ekushey Padak". The Daily Star. 2019-02-07. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- Rafi Hossain. "The Evergreen: Subir Nandi". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Music heals the wounds of soul: Subir Nandi". New Age. Dhaka. 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Subir Nandi passes away". New Age | The Most Popular Outspoken Daily English Newspaper in Bangladesh. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- "Music heals the wounds of soul: Subir Nandi". Dhaka Mirror. 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- Nazia Nusrat Adsnin (2012-09-23). "Subir Nandi felicitated". New Age. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Subir Nandi songs in Bengali". Retrieved 29 April 2022.
- Matir Ghor (1979) movie songs