Buzz Media was founded by Anthony Batt (CEO), Marc Brown, Kevin Woolery, and Steve Haldane under the name Buzznet. Batt and Brown started a blog in 1999, and by 2006 Buzznet had a total of nine people in the Los Angeles, California area. The Buzz media name was created as the company started to acquire more pop-culture and music blogs.
The company announced on March 19, 2009, it raised US$12.5 million in funding from venture capitalists that include companies that had already invested in the company, such as Anthem Ventures, New Enterprise Associates, Redpoint Ventures, and Sutter Hill Ventures, as well as new investor Focus Ventures.
It acquired Spin Media, publisher of Spin magazine in July 2012. After shutting down the print version of the magazine, reducing its staff to about 200, and focusing on advertising, it rebranded itself as SpinMedia in March 2013. At that time, Steve Hansen became its chief executive. In April 2013 it acquired Vibe magazine. In 2014, M/C Partners became the primary owner of SpinMedia after an assignment for benefit of creditors.
In September 2016, SpinMedia sold Buzznet, Idolator, and PureVolume to startup corporation Hive Media. In December 2016, Eldridge Industries acquired Spin, Vibe, Stereogum, and Death and Taxes via the Hollywood Reporter-Billboard Media Group for an undisclosed amount. Celebuzz, The Frisky, and The Superficial were sold to CPX Interactive.[better source needed]
- "BUZZMEDIA Acquires Top Women`s Entertainment & Lifestyle Website The Frisky from Turner Broadcasting". Reuters. 11 February 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Ben Kuo (May 10, 2006). "Interview with Anthony Batt, Co-Founder, Buzznet". SoCal Tech" High Tech News and Information for Southern California. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Rivera, Dominic (2009-03-20). "Buzznet becomes Buzz Media; Raises $12.5 million new funding". Blog Herald. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Maher, Rory (2009-03-19). "Buzznet Raises $12.5 Million; Changes Name To Buzz Media". paidContent. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "BUZZMEDIA Buys Spin". SoCal Tech" High Tech News and Information for Southern California. July 10, 2012. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Buzzmedia Rebrands Itself SpinMedia". Billboard. March 25, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Vibe Magazine Purchased by SpinMedia, Will Probably Go Online-Only". Billboard. April 25, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Ben Sisario (April 25, 2013). "Vibe Magazine Is Sold and Likely to Become Online Only". The New York Times. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- andy_gensler (2014-02-03). "SpinMedia LLC Acquired By New Investors as SpinMedia Group Receives $10M" (Text). Billboard. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- Rys, Dan (September 21, 2016). "SpinMedia Sells Idolator, Buzznet & PureVolume to Hive Media". Billboard. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "Billboard Buys Spin and Vibe in a Quest to ‘Own the Topic of Music Online’". Adweek. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "more SpinMedia sites sold (RIP SpinMedia)". BrooklynVegan. Retrieved 2017-01-02.