Spider-Man's wedding (live performance)
Spider-Man's wedding at Shea Stadium in 1987 was a publicity stunt and live performance adaptation of the comic book storyline "The Wedding!" produced by Marvel Comics. The event was meant to advertise the special issue of The Amazing Spider-Man comic book, which went on sale the next Tuesday and took place at home plate in front of more than 45,000 fans just before the New York Mets played the Pittsburgh Pirates.
|Location||Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, Queens, New York City|
|Type||Publicity stunt, live performance|
Andy L. Kubai of Looper stated that he originally believed that Marvel held the ceremony at Shea Stadium because they couldn't afford something larger like Yankee Stadium but believed it made more sense after he learned that the character Peter Parker is a Mets fan. Gary Smith of Comic Book Resources stated that he believed that the wedding at Shea Stadium was Marvel's third greatest publicity stunt and that Stan Lee's part was very appropriate.
Cast and charactersEdit
- "'I thee web': Spider-Man and Mary Jane get married at Shea Stadium, 1987 | Dangerous Minds". dangerousminds.net. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Gross, Michael (June 2, 1987). "Spider-Man to Wed Model". New York Times.
- "Video: When Spider-Man And Mary Jane Got Hitched At Shea Stadium: Gothamist". gothamist.com. Archived from the original on 2017-11-06. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "When Spider-Man Got Married In Shea Stadium". SB Nation. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "Great Moments in Mets History or: The Time Spider-man Married Mary Jane at Shea Stadium". Old Time Family Baseball. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Nadel, Nick (April 28, 2010). "Stan Lee Officiates Spider-Man and MJ Wedding In Awesome 1987 Footage". comicsalliance.com. Comics Alliance. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "VintageTube: Spider-Man, Shea Stadium and Morgan Freeman". Big League Stew. Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Sanderson, P. (2007). The Marvel Comics Guide to New York City. Gallery Books. p. 205. ISBN 9781416531418. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Weiner, R.G. (2008). Marvel Graphic Novels and Related Publications: An Annotated Guide to Comics, Prose Novels, Children's Books, Articles, Criticism and Reference Works, 1965–2005. McFarland, Incorporated Publishers. p. 81. ISBN 9780786451159. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "Spider-Man Bride Wears Willi Smith's Last Design". Jet. Johnson Publishing Company. 1987-06-22. p. 53. ISSN 0021-5996. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "Spider-Man weds Mary Jane at Shea Stadium, 1987 « Very Fine / Near Mint". veryfinenearmint.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "Spider-Man: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Mary Jane Watson". screenrant.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Gustines, George Gene. "Style – Pow! Kerplow!! Boing!!!," New York Times Magazine (May 4, 2008).
- "Three Comic Book Weddings, or Holy Matrimony! – Part 1 – JimShooter.com". jimshooter.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Devin Faraci. "The Time Spider-Man Got Married At Shea Stadium | Birth.Movies.Death". birthmoviesdeath.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "15 Of Marvel's Greatest Publicity Stunts". CBR. November 12, 2016.
- "Timeless Beauty: 3 Age-Defying Models Who Will Inspire You". The Chalkboard. May 10, 2017.
- Kubai, Andy L. (May 31, 2017). "Hidden details you missed in Spider-Man comics". Looper.com.